Antiphospholipid Syndrome

J M

Registered Member
I have done a bit of searching and I have not found the answer, so maybe someone has encountered this.

My doctor just told me he was submitting my package to the MED Board and have wrote a recommendation as being not world-wide deployable.

I was diagnosed with Antiphospholipid Syndrome (APS), which is an acquired auto-immune disorder that results in increased blood-clotting. It can get better or worse through your life and will likely go through ups and downs at some point. At its best, you just have the increased risk, at its worst, you suffer consistent blackouts, strokes, etc. Mine is not currently on the bad side, but I definitely have the increased risk of clotting, especially when combined with a heterozygous Factor V Leiden, a genetic disorder that increases blood clots only slightly. I've been recommended blood thinners for a couple of years, then to reevaluate after that.

Does anyone have any experience what something like APS is given rating-wise? I just haven't found anything that looks even similar in the VARSD. Secondly, with a complicated diagnosis like this, is this something typically more recommended to hire a lawyer to assist with to get the best possible representation, because I am sure it can be interpreted any number of different ways?

Thanks in advance!

J M

Registered Member
I have done a bit of searching and I have not found the answer, so maybe someone has encountered this.

My doctor just told me he was submitting my package to the MED Board and have wrote a recommendation as being not world-wide deployable.

I was diagnosed with Antiphospholipid Syndrome (APS), which is an acquired auto-immune disorder that results in increased blood-clotting. It can get better or worse through your life and will likely go through ups and downs at some point. At its best, you just have the increased risk, at its worst, you suffer consistent blackouts, strokes, etc. Mine is not currently on the bad side, but I definitely have the increased risk of clotting, especially when combined with a heterozygous Factor V Leiden, a genetic disorder that increases blood clots only slightly. I've been recommended blood thinners for a couple of years, then to reevaluate after that.

Does anyone have any experience what something like APS is given rating-wise? I just haven't found anything that looks even similar in the VARSD. Secondly, with a complicated diagnosis like this, is this something typically more recommended to hire a lawyer to assist with to get the best possible representation, because I am sure it can be interpreted any number of different ways?

Thanks in advance!
To add more detail, this was discovered after a provoked blood clot (post ruptured appendix + Gallbladder removal surgery, same time). The bloodclot was a little less than a year ago, and my main side effects remaining from that one are some marginal pain in the sites where it used to be (my stomach and liver).

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">