Any Advice Appreciated- Tired of Waiting!

kaylawilliamson1993

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hey all,

So, I know this isn't a typical question, and I know it's super long but, here goes.

I'm an E5, Navy, and this is my first enlistment. I was overseas when this whole thing started, I started seeing my therapist in 2015 because I was having trouble dealing with something that happened at work. The second time I saw her, she told me she was going to put me in for either an ADSEP or a Med Board. I didn't have any clue at the time what that would entail, so I said okay. It was my FIRST Limdu period. I have always had the intent to separate at my EAOS. I have no desire to be in the Navy anymore.

She diagnosed me with PTSD, Major Depressive Disorder, and Acute Anxiety Disorder. But over the next 4 months she worked with me and I was able to build a support system, find a healthy relationship, make friendships... basically my life got better, right. And then one day in January I get a memo from the LIMDU office saying my medboard had come back, found me UNFIT, and they were transferring me to San Diego to complete a PEB.
I fought this outcome, with the argument that I was getting BETTER, making significant improvement, and there was no need for a PEB, that I would just finish out my contract. They sent me here regardless, because I'm an MA and I can't be around guns, so I was holding up a billet they could fill with someone else.

I arrived in SD late March. I found out a few weeks before I got here that I am pregnant. My PCP from overseas assured me that I wouldn't be here longer than a couple of months, because I had already done the MEB part of the process, and that I would be able to return to be with my now husband for the birth of our first child. I found out that wasn't true, as they made me do a MEB all over again when I got here.

When I first got here, I also wasn't able to get seen for any of my conditions until early JUNE. I don't know if anyone else out there had a lapse in care but it was awful. I felt like I was completely starting over when I finally got in to see a psychologist. Now, second problem here is I have no support system. I don't know anyone and my family is states away. And anyone trying to recover from depression can understand how vital it is to have a support system. I go to the groups and whatnot, but it's not the same. My depression has become completely debilitating, and I can hardly do anything more than show up at work anymore.

So, really, coming here has only made things worse for me.

Now it's getting to the middle of July, and I still haven't gotten any word back about my PEB. Is there any way I can get out of SD before my IPEB is complete? I know for USMC they have Home Awaiting Orders, and I've *heard* that the Navy can also, BUT I can't seem to find an instruction on this other than the DODI about leave/lib, and neither can my Case Manager. I would even take an ADSEP at this point, because to be honest I am just fed up with the Navy and the way this has all been handled. I am just curious if this is possible? Has anyone heard of anyone going through anything similar? My Dr and my case manager both agree it's not conducive to my recovery or my pregnancy to be in the Navy anymore, but haven't been able to come up with any solutions.

Package sent to PEB: 15JUN2016
EAOS: 06NOV2016

Thanks.

All I can really say is to pump the brakes and learn to deal with the whole med board process. I have asked for a way to PCS to be closer to my husband since we're thousands of miles away and I literally just sit here waiting for a phone call. I sent my case to the PEB June 1st and I check every day on ebenefits to see if I have another claim. I also talk to my PEBLO every few days to at least hear something. You NEED to be patient or this whole process/situation will eat you up. You are ALMOST to the finish line, too. Just hang in there :)

It's not easy being away from family, and it seems like they may have transferred you to get you better care or to give you a change of scenery? No "Home Awaiting Orders" program that I know of except for when you have finished the process and are on terminal and househunting.

The PEB process is daunting and takes what seems like a lifetime, but you have to keep it together and find something positive to do with yourself to help pass the time.

If it is imperative for you to get home to your family, take leave, if you are able to. Even uf yoy can't travel home, it's a great distraction and can help you regroup and get back into the right mind set to ride this thing out. Hold on and be prepared for the long haul.