Aortic Valve Replacement - On-X Mechanical Valve

cw123

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Has anybody had a recent MEB/PEB experience with aortic valve replacement using an On-X mechanical valve? The valve requires lifelong Coumadin/Warfarin use, but your INR is lower than with a St. Jude mechanical valve.

According to a study, titled "Effects of Cardiac Surgery on Duty Status in the Active Duty Military Population" conducted from 2004-2011 the return to duty (RTD) rate for mechanical valve recipients was 5 of 21 patients. I spoke to one of the co-authors of the study and explained my situation. It was their opinion that I would likely be found unfit due to the inability to deploy for the remainder of my career because of my Coumadin requirement. The five personnel who were retained during the study were apparently approaching 20 years which was a major contributing factor for their retention - that's not the case for me.

I was just curious to see if their were any other recent cases out there. All the valve replacement threads I have found thus far are 5+ years old.

Thanks.

Wow I didnt see this, I was too focus on my story which is very similar to you brother, I had aortic On-x Valve too last March doing well but never normal, they told me the same thing non deployable and automatically disqualifies me due to heavy bleeding, attach here is my narsm, I am still waiting for some paper work before routing it out to DC that would lead to 45 days or more, biggest curiousty for me now is the rating, just being cut up open is harder than both shoulders open, I will be really pissed of seeing a guy without no surgery then get a 100, then for us 60-80. This med hold makes me Nuts, Pleade Keep me posted.

Attachments

• 1D2C6D1A-8584-4115-A554-E22F45FECD0F.jpeg
    1D2C6D1A-8584-4115-A554-E22F45FECD0F.jpeg
    901.7 KB · Views: 14
I'm thankful everyday to still be walking around, but I know what you mean when you say "never normal". I had a complication with my surgery so now my left lung doesn't inflate all the way. I get winded walking up a flight of stairs or holding my daughter.

I'll post what happens with my PEB package for sure.

Has anybody had a recent MEB/PEB experience with aortic valve replacement using an On-X mechanical valve? The valve requires lifelong Coumadin/Warfarin use, but your INR is lower than with a St. Jude mechanical valve.

According to a study, titled "Effects of Cardiac Surgery on Duty Status in the Active Duty Military Population" conducted from 2004-2011 the return to duty (RTD) rate for mechanical valve recipients was 5 of 21 patients. I spoke to one of the co-authors of the study and explained my situation. It was their opinion that I would likely be found unfit due to the inability to deploy for the remainder of my career because of my Coumadin requirement. The five personnel who were retained during the study were apparently approaching 20 years which was a major contributing factor for their retention - that's not the case for me.

I was just curious to see if their were any other recent cases out there. All the valve replacement threads I have found thus far are 5+ years old.

Thanks.

CW123, do you mind me asking what your final determination was. In a very similar situation. Thanks

Thank you very much. How many years of service did you have and did that factor into the approval for a retirement vice a discharge.

Roger. Thank you guys. This site has been very useful. I’m currently an AD Marine but the case I’m referring to is for my son who’s also AD. Recon type, 24 years young, with 3years time in service. No family or previous history of heart conditions. Went to the ER for chest pains and resulted in On-x mechanical valve replacement for his aorta and lifetime Coumadin. This is all recent, last week actually. He would love nothing more than to lace up his boots and get back to work but that’s not looking feasible. Expectation management is my job right now with him as well as preparing/educating him for the high probability of separation or I’m hoping a category of sep/retirement that will assist him moving forward. I’ll definitely share what I can to help anyone else in this situation. Thank you all again. S/F

I hope this thread is somewhat alive still...I'm going through my PEBLO right now for AVR mechical valve replacement while on AD, 15 years in. I had the On-X put in, young 30's.

Anyone have there case come to a conclusion yet? Any outcomes to share?

See your new thread, same topic.