Applying to receive CDRP when I would have hit 20 years?

ctsusmc

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I'm going through the PEB process now, currently my package is at the VA rating office but I anticipate a medical retirement recommendation. I have 12 years of service. I understand that eligibility for CDRP is only for personnel who've reached 20 years of service. I don't remember where I read it a few weeks ago, but the article/document I was reading stated that I could apply for CDRP when I would have hit 20 years of active service. i.e. in 8 years I could apply for CDRP. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this? Thanks in advance.

I'm going through the PEB process now, currently my package is at the VA rating office but I anticipate a medical retirement recommendation. I have 12 years of service. I understand that eligibility for CDRP is only for personnel who've reached 20 years of service. I don't remember where I read it a few weeks ago, but the article/document I was reading stated that I could apply for CDRP when I would have hit 20 years of active service. i.e. in 8 years I could apply for CDRP. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this? Thanks in advance.
Unfortunately, you will not qualify.

1. Based on info you provided, you do not qualify for CRDP now and you will not qualify when “I would have hit 20 years...”

2. CRDP Requirements:
a. regular retirement with >=50% VA rating
b. Reserve retirement (20 good years) with >=50% VA rating AND meets age requirement (normally 60)
c. TERA retirement (somewhat uncommon now) with >=50% VA rating
d. Disability retirement but also qualifies for another retirement such 1a and 1b with >=50% VA rating—can receive CRDP @ time eligible to receive other retirement.

From DFAS:
You must be eligible for retired pay to qualify for CRDP. If you were placed on a disability retirement, but would be eligible for military retired pay in the absence of the disability, you may be entitled to receive CRDP.
Under these rules, you may be entitled to CRDP if…
  • you are a regular retiree with a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • you are a reserve retiree with 20 qualifying years of service, who has a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater and who has reached retirement age. (In most cases the retirement age for reservists is 60, but certain reserve retirees may be eligible before they turn 60. If you are a member of the Ready Reserve, your retirement age can be reduced below age 60 by three months for each 90 days of active service you have performed during a fiscal year.)
  • you are retired under Temporary Early Retirement Act (TERA) and have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.
  • you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay [including age requirement].
Ron

Last edited: