Approved retirement then MEB

ddlewis09

Registered Member
I submitted my retirement paperwork and got an approved retirement date of October 1, 2021. I have 21 years of Active Army service. After I submitted my retirement paperwork, my PCM put me in for a MEB due to admittance to a PTSD clinic. Currently claims are at VA and according to PEBLO an MEB officer is being assigned.

I had planned on starting transition leave August 12, 2021. Does this look obtainable? Also I would love to do an internship and I do not want this process to interfere with plans. If the MEB looks like it is going to be longer than the retirement date, can I still just retire? If that's possible how do I go about getting benefits pay from the VA?

If you remain in the MEB, you will have little to no control over the timeline. Hope you PTSD treatment is going well.

So I do have the option of not doing it and just retiring as normal? If that's the case, how do I interact with VA?

So I do have the option of not doing it and just retiring as normal? If that's the case, how do I interact with VA?
You don't have the option yourself but you can request that your PCM to withdraw it since you have an approved retirement. Sometimes they will not do a MEB if you have an approved retirement but it is not a guarantee.

You are over 20 dont worry about it . Get your treatment as much as you can while in the service. If it is combat related ptsd you might be eligible for CDRP as well . Also to answer your VA question . Call the VA up and schedule your c and P exams while in service.