Are mental health conditions suppose to start a MEB right away ?

brohammer

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I have a psychosis diagnosis that went to full MEB a month after diagnosis. Is this standard? I thought I read somewhere they are suppose to wait a year to see if it will resolve. I don’t have a permanent condition as of now. I want fit for duty, I know it’s high unlikely but wonder of there are any options for trying to get fit(as I’m no more symptoms)

Thanks.

It’s not necessarily the condition that initiates the MEB, but rather how the symptoms of the condition affect your ability to perform your duties.

If your provider gives you a profile of 3, this would mean that your ability to perform duty is severely impacted and a MEB may be initiated.

It is possible to be found fit for duty during the MEB process, each case is different so results vary.

That’s the problem, I don’t have any symptoms, but they suspended my clearance for the MEB time, so I can’t do my core job. Well let me rephrase, during my C&P comp they said I had speech latency and mild blunted effect(negative symptoms) I’ve always been a quiet, emotionless person, it doesn’t seem like work limiting symptoms, but I guess it is enough to hold my clearance. Also because I’m on meds(which I stopped taking) they just assume I don’t have other symptoms because of the meds.

It all seems like BS to me. I had a very short term form of psychosis, so the positive symptoms in their view are a danger to op security, because of the info I have access too and they won’t give my clearance back to put me through a test period. It’s sucks. The positive symptoms I exp only for a period of 4 days, I was very sleep deprived when it occurred. I 100% don’t believe I have the condition and don’t want to be separated. But after looking at my narrative and how fkn crazy they made me sound, I figured there was no way for me to prove I don’t have any illness and may as well take the comp, since they are going to separate me no matter what I say or try to prove.

I'm sorry to hear about your conditions. Psychosis should result in an immediate MEB, as it is a disqualifying condition. Best wishes. Mike

I'm sorry to hear about your conditions. Psychosis should result in an immediate MEB, as it is a disqualifying condition. Best wishes. Mike

Thanks for the reply. I personally feel like I don’t have any form of psychosis and it was a result of sleep deprivation. I’m considering getting another opinion, I don’t know if it will help, but worth a try.

If you believe a misdiagnosis occurred you should ask your PCM for a referral for a second opinion. In fairness to the provider, it is important to understand, that after an episode people often have little insight into their behavior during the episode. Best wishes. Mike

I guess it depends on the situation. I had several instances before I was discharged. I tried to commit suicide in December of 2012, I spent 10 days inpatient and a good month to 5 weeks in Partial Hospitalization followed by placement on the high interest list. I had weekly visits with my psychiatrist for about 2 months. I was clear for about 10 months with no interaction with mental health. No MEB was initiated. The following year I started psychotherapy and another inpatient stay. No MEB was initiated then. A couple months later I required another stay at a partial hospitalization because I was having some visual hallucinations and an MEB was started. I was able to convince the doctor to return me to duty after what felt like an interrogation. I was not aware of this "Return To Duty" Designation and my treatment team/Chain of Command kept playing coy with me. Said can't say for sure but it looks good. Actually tell me wth my status is instead of the mind games. Knowing how bad I wanted to stay the stress of not knowing got to me, I snapped and ended back up in the psych ward. This was most definitely what happened to me so don't anyone try to side with the docs/command here. I was given another MEB and been out since on TDRL. I know of one other Airman who successfully fought for a fit for duty outcome but years later, Bipolar flared up and was medically retired.

Last edited: