Army Guard timeline- Texas

mikem1977

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Contributing my timeline to hopefully help awareness

Jul 1995- Entered service
Jun 2002- Diagnosed with polycystic kidney disease while on active duty
Feb 2008- Separated from active duty
Jun 2008- Received initial 30 percent from VA- service connected for Kidney Disease
Jul 2008- Entered into National Guard
Jan 2018- P3 Profile issued due to severe decline in Kidney Function- MEB Reccomended
Mar-Jul 2018- Medical documentation gathering and submittal to state case management
Aug 2018- First contact from state case management
Oct 2018- Informed by unit rep that i need all of my active duty records
Oct 2018- Submitted request for active duty records, told it would be 3-4 months to receive
February 2019- Called for status on active duty records, was told that state should have requested as they would have gotten then in 2-3 days, VA rep accelerated timeline
March 2019- Submitted active duty records to unit rep
April 2019- Told by state case management that unit rep did not submit the right documents
Early May 2019- Unit rep submitted documents
Late May 2019- Contacted state case management to ask about status. Had an issue at first with case manager misunderstanding the disease (she thought it was like type 2 diabetes) but medical officer clarified and late LOD was began
Jun 2019- Late LOD received.
Jul 2019- Had to redo commanders statement as it was dated wrong
Sep 2019- Called state again about status and told my case manager was no longer employed and they would be transferring to a new case manager
Oct 25 2019- State case manager contacted me and said case has been finally submitted to MEB process
Nov 1 2019- PEBLO made initial contact
Nov 4 2019- VA MSC made initial contact
Nov 14 2019- Hearing exam
Nov 19 2019- VA General exam

So now i am awaiting my DA 3947 and narsum results, hoping for within the next week. It is disappointing that it took so long for my state and unit to get my packet into MEB, but it might work out in my favor as my kidney function dropped by 15 percent before my VA C&P exam.

Glad you are finally getting some traction. The communication bridge between state and NGB is so frustrating. Adding in the active duty medical stuff is another layer.

That really sucks your kidneys are failing....but I suppose the silver lining is the extra money you will get compensated with.

Thanks much guardguy, I am glad to see you have made it to the end, too bad you werent able to get the VA to approve your VARR though. I am fearful that i may have to though. My ratings percentage for my condition are either 30, 60, 80 or 100 and the verbage for 60 is very vague. I am thinking i will be rated at 60 as i was given 30 when i first separated from active duty 12 years ago and my kidney function has dropped 48 percent since then. The verbage for 60 is "Definite decrease in Kidney Function".......... so i think its pretty self explanatory, but never know with the VA, lol

I truly think my situation was an administrative error and then an overzealous attempt to get more from the VA than I should have. My original C&P doctor told me my cardiac MET level was 3-5, but the button that was checked was 5-7. I stated this in my VARR, but it was buried behind 8 pages saying why I deserved 100% due to A, B, & C. I think the adjudicator looked at the first 3 pages and just squashed it all knowing I wouldn't have any recourse.

Fortunately, my cardiac doctor sent me a letter for submission to the VA stating that my MET level is 3-5. What is frustrating from that is I think I will get the VA thing fixed before I even receive my first paycheck...but since the Air Force will already be done with me I will have to go through the 2-3 year BCMR process to get my mil pay fixed.

As for your situation, I think you have a solid case for 60% and you could probably get more from a lawyer, but they can be expensive...

Back