Army Retirement

IAJC87

Registered Member
Ok this is my first post but I wanted to share my experience with you guys as I have read many posts on here during the process. My final retirement date from the Army was 23January 2018. I received 40 percent from the Army and 90 percent from the VA(I Received my official VA rating in February). I retired as a SFC with 11.5 years of service.

I appealed my VA Decision. I did so methodically and made sure my ducks were in a row. That reconsideration was filed in May2018. I had a couple C&P exams in June and received a decision at the end of August. I am now %100 P&T from VA. I was very impressed with the timeline and have been very impressed with my level of care from the VA to this point. ( They have almost been annoying with following up on things haha)

After retirement, I immediately applied for CRSC, they received my packet on 18FEB2018.
I received a notice from HRC that I was Approved for 90%CRSC and that it was being forwarded to DFAS dated 12SEP2018. The most impressive part was that HRC had my updated VA ratings from less than a month before and they were calculated into my decision! I hope this is a sign for others that the Army is getting faster at processing the claims. All of my injuries were clearly combat related (2 Purple Hearts, Medevac'd twice etc...) I am not sure if this has an effect on the turnaround time or not.
I have not seen anything on my pay or received anything from DFAS. I tried to call and was transferred 3 times and on hold 2 hours before I gave up. Hopefully I see some of the CSRS and Backpay soon!

Anyhow, there you have a pretty recent timeline of events.

I received 40 percent from the Army and 90 percent from the VA(I Received my official VA rating in February). I retired as a SFC with 11.5 years of service.

I appealed my VA Decision. I did so methodically and made sure my ducks were in a row. That reconsideration was filed in May2018. I am now %100 P&T from VA.

After retirement, I immediately applied for CRSC, they received my packet on 18FEB2018.
I received a notice from HRC that I was Approved for 90%CRSC and that it was being forwarded to DFAS dated 12SEP2018.
I echo gsfowler’s congratulations.

11.5 years (11 years 6 months) AD x 2.5% = 28.75% multiplier

High three average base pay x 28.75% = dollar amount of longevity portion of retirement
CRSC approved @ 90% = 90% rate with applicable dependents found in VA compensation tables at https://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/resources_comp01.asp

Your monthly CRSC will be the lesser of the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retirement OR the dollar amount of the CRSC percentage approved by your service (see VA comp tables). Also, CRSC cannot exceed the amount of waived retired pay.

DFAS will produce a CRSC statement each month; you can view it on MyPay (usually around the 22nd).

Ron

Last edited:
Sounds like great news all around for you! Congrats.