Army Timeline CRSC

Honestly I have no clue, I was medically retired 6 years ago and submitted CRSC then (19.3 Active), the only rating I ever got back was approval for 0% IBS lol, then two years ago I requested and increase to the IBS claim, the VA after 18 months, an appeal, then another appeal finally assigned 30% and DFAS automatically started paying me. I had submitted an ankle injury as well, of course it was denied but they added PTSD and Tinitus without me even trying to tie it to combat, I wonder what would have happened if I had given up and never applied. Either way it is awesome and grateful, it is the only time I have gotten anything from the VA, Army, SSA, charity without having to appeal and bear my soul and feel like I am complaining.
After serving your country with honor, then being forced to wait forever, fight like hell, and even beg at times just to get the benefits due is MENTALLY DRAINING. I'm sure it sends more than one Veteran into a downward spiral. It's beyond deployable that our country systematically does this to wounded / injured Veterans.

Anyone have an idea of how long it usually takes (their experience) from the time the Army Board approves CRSC and DFAS cuts the first check, and is that check for the backpay owed as well as the monthly benefit from then on?

Thanks,

Anyone have an idea of how long it usually takes (their experience) from the time the Army Board approves CRSC and DFAS cuts the first check, and is that check for the backpay owed as well as the monthly benefit from then on?
Thanks,
Most (if not all) DFAS payments are made via deposit to one’s financial institution.

The first payment is usually for one month (e.g., 1-28 February CRSC paid on 1 March). That payment is often made within 45 days after DFAS receives the approval from the service.

The retro CRSC is commonly paid within 60 days of the initial one-month payment.

This varies; some are paid within a shorter period, some experience a longer processing cycle.

If you search this board, you will find many comments regarding this subject.

I was in one of the first groups to receive CRSC circa 2005. I remember waiting >6 months. Things have improved...

Ron

Most (if not all) DFAS payments are made via deposit to one’s financial institution.

The first payment is usually for one month (e.g., 1-28 February CRSC paid on 1 March). That payment is often made within 45 days after DFAS receives the approval from the service.

The retro CRSC is commonly paid within 60 days of the initial one-month payment.

This varies; some are paid within a shorter period, some experience a longer processing cycle.

I was in one of the first groups to receive CRSC circa 2005. I remember waiting >6 months. Things have improved...

Ron

Yep, there are some who were approved the same date as me (9 Jan 2019) who were paid 1 Feb. I know of a few who were approved late December who are just getting their initial payment 1 March. I called 21 Feb and I haven't been processed yet, so I will more than likely be 1 April. Which would put me roughly 81 days or so from approval to initial payment. I want to believe they process them in some sort of order, but I can't really say that at this point with the timelines others have posted.

At the 31 day mark, you can call and request an inquiry. The processing center is supposed to respond to the inquiry within 7 business days once submitted. Which may give you some sort of answer. Best DFAS can really do to get you information on your claim.

For the SA of others... got my first check 1 March, for a single month's worth. If they hold to RonG's experience, I hopefully will get the backpay in the next month or two. What a relief to finally have this battle over and won, now on to others... got an ABCMR claim in the system now for VA Disability Benefit funds wrongfully taken while on INCAP pay. Don't expect to see anything on that for a while. Thanks for the info on CRSC.

Update:

Called DFAS back to see the outcome of the inquiry. Processing was completed 28 Feb.

Overall Timeline:

April 17, 2017- Retired
October 15, 2018- Applied CRSC
Jan 9, 2019- Approved CRSC.
Feb 21, 2019- Submitted inquiry because my CRSC hadn't been processed within the 30 day timeline.
Feb 28, 2019- CRSC Pay processed (monthly payment amount)
April 1, 2019- Will be my first payment.

Did you ever get back pay for this? I am just wondering because we have a similar outcome and I am still having a hard time accepting I may get 6 years of 80% back pay.
Not yet still waiting, I do not even have the updated monthly amount, I call and use ASK once a week, but I get the same response, “they received the CRSC update on the the 6th of Feb and they have 30 days” is the standard response which translates to they have no clue but leave them alone they can take 30 days before they get a reminder, plus the only way I’ll know anything is if I get a deposit, or check mypay daily.

I have finally started to see some progress on my packet. Below is my timeline. I will update you all as I learn more.

Packet received at HRC - 11/30/2018
Receipt Confirmation - O/A 12/10/2018
Packet with an Adjudicator - 2/26/2018
Approval Notice -
First Monthly Payment -
Backpay - (Retirement date of 7/27/2018)

Did you ever get back pay for this? I am just wondering because we have a similar outcome and I am still having a hard time accepting I may get 6 years of 80% back pay.

Not yet, I call once a week or use ASKDFAS to keep them honest. I just went through the process for a 30% increase last September, it was weird because I got the fist payment within days, but they did the retro calculation at 0% so after it was corrected December 14th, the back pay went through around the 28th of JAN, about a month, but really it took 5 months due to the clerical error I forced them to fix. My advice to all it not to stand by idle and trust the process. Thought the whole process, SSDI, VA Claims, CRSC, Caregiver, I have always trusted the process and the people but at every single level and I mean every thing I have ever done post retirement has been done incorrectly. Be persistent, bug them, force them to do their job correctly, they get paid to do this, they exist for you, so keep up following up till it is complete.

I am aware of several retro CRSC payments that involved the six year limitation (i.e. 6 years back pay). It does happen.

The CRSC laws have changed multiple times.

Effective June 1, 2003: Initial benefits were payable only to members with at least 20 years of active duty or equivalent reserve duty (i.e. 7200 points) who had combat-related disabilities totaling a rating of 60% or more, or with a rating of 10% or more for combat-related injuries for which they were awarded a Purple Heart.

Effective January 1, 2004: Eligibility was extended to members with any level of VA rating for combat-related disabilities or Purple Heart which results in an offset to military retired pay. Additionally, eligibility was extended to members receiving Reserve retired pay (i.e., Reserve members at age 60 or younger in certain cases and with 20 "good" years or Reserve members retired under Temporary Early Retirement Authority (TERA)).

Effective January 1, 2008: Eligibility was extended to military disability retirees (i.e., Chapter 61 of title 10 United States Code) and members retired under active duty TERA rules.

Effective January 1, 2013: The method for computing the monetary entitlement for members with military disability retirements under Chapter 61 of title 10 United States Code was changed to ensure no such members were disadvantaged from receiving an increased disability rating.

Special Rules for Chapter 61 Disability Retirees: According to law, members retired for disability under Chapter 61 of title 10 United States Code must have the CRSC entitlement limited to an amount that when combined with any military retired pay remaining after offset for VA disability compensation will not exceed the retired pay they would otherwise be entitled to for retirement computed for years of service (i.e., 2 1/2 percent x years of service x pay base).

Ron

I have finally started to see some progress on my packet. Below is my timeline. I will update you all as I learn more.

Packet received at HRC - 11/30/2018
Receipt Confirmation - O/A 12/10/2018
Packet with an Adjudicator - 2/26/2018
Approval Notice -
First Monthly Payment -
Backpay - (Retirement date of 7/27/2018)
How did you find out it was woth an adjudicator? What number did you call?

How did you find out it was woth an adjudicator? What number did you call?

I put in a case with my local IG (I used to be an Asst IG before I got out so I knew it would get answers). They forwarded the case to HRC IG. When I got the response I found out that magically my packet made it to an adjudicator the day before I put in my request. I don't recommend jumping right to that step, but it had been a couple of months without hearing anything and the switchboard would only tell me that it had been received. They need to make a better system of updating people who submit packets. There are ways to send encrypted files by email that they could easily do to speed up the communication process. Would definitely make submitting additional documents or even initial packets much smoother and more timely.

ALCON
So I did my weekly ASK DFAS about the status of the processing of my initial CRSC increased (not retro audit) because I was told like 3 times they had 30 days to process. The response I got back was pretty lame, told me that they received it 6FEB and processed retro on the 5FEB, they in a actual email told me they went back in time and processed it, so sent another ASK ticket and got the response that it was processed on the 11th and that I should be seeing something soon on mypay. I’ve seen that answer posted befire

ALCON
So I did my weekly ASK DFAS about the status of the processing of my initial CRSC increased (not retro audit) because I was told like 3 times they had 30 days to process. The response I got back was pretty lame, told me that they received it 6FEB and processed retro on the 5FEB, they in a actual email told me they went back in time and processed it, so sent another ASK ticket and got the response that it was processed on the 11th and that I should be seeing something soon on mypay. I’ve seen that answer posted befire

FYI DFAS system update tonight, do anything processed this week may show up tomorrow or by Monday. Also next time you call DFAS retirement knowing your getting pushed to tier 2 just ask the rep to setup the call back option instead of waiting 2 hours, your welcome:)

Ron

Hi Ron,

My timeline has been pretty straightforward: applied in October,approved late Feb and will receive first payment April 1st. As many before me, my question is about retro pay: I am 60 percent CRSC awarded with 100 percent VA and 60 percent Army retirement My monthly award is 1050 give or take a few bucks. I was medically retired in Dec 2013 after 16 years and a few months......trying to figure out 1: ball park idea of what my back pay will be and 2: when to expect it. Does it make a difference in processing due to going back so far? thanks for your assistance.

Hi Ron,

My timeline has been pretty straightforward: applied in October,approved late Feb and will receive first payment April 1st. As many before me, my question is about retro pay: I am 60 percent CRSC awarded with 100 percent VA and 60 percent Army retirement My monthly award is 1050 give or take a few bucks. I was medically retired in Dec 2013 after 16 years and a few months......trying to figure out 1: ball park idea of what my back pay will be and 2: when to expect it. Does it make a difference in processing due to going back so far? thanks for your assistance.
1. Since you mentioned 1050 CRSC, I infer DFAS gave you that figure (i.e., you did not take it from a VA compensation chart).

2. Many retroactive payments are made 2-3 months after the first monthly payment. Some are earlier; some take longer.

3. Ball park figure? Multiply 1050 x number of months in the retro period (using the effective date). It will be less than that because of COLA increases most years, but it should be a “ball park figure.”

Ron