Asthma - Referred to IRILO. What to expect?

Flyfishx86

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hi everyone, just want to post my status and get some input.
back in early February I was diagnosed with asthma through my allergist which I have fairly severe allergies. I went to a pulmonologist and took a methacholine challenge test. I failed the test and the doctor said I have mild persistent asthma. I am currently on Arnuity and albuterol,singular,Claritin and doing allergy shots.
I am a flyer and just got told I will be doing an IRILO. My symptoms seem to have gotten worse and I am still using my abulterol multiple times a week. The arnuity doesn’t seem to help that much but when I was on advair I felt much better.
What are your thoughts on the outcome of the IRILO, and what should I expect? I can’t do my job while I’m dnif and don’t have a waiver.

An IRILO is a local review of your health conditions. I have no idea what they will recommend. Why did the docs DC the Advair if it was working?

From what I understand the IRILO happens at AFPC? What all do they look at to determine their decision and how is this different than an MEB?
The allergist first put me on advair then I went off of it to take the methacholine test, then after being officially diagnosed my pulmonologist put me on arnuity. I assume he wanted to start there. From what I read advair is a few steps above arnuity. We’ll see how that goes but so far I felt better on advair.

Yes the IRILO is submitted to AFPC, but the exam and paperwork happen locally. Have you shared that information whit the pulmonologist?

I have a follow up with the pulmonologist in a few weeks. I’m going to see how it goes till then but as of right now my current meds don’t seem to be helping me the best. Hopefully after I see him he would switch me over.

So, does the decision happen locally and afpc just concurs or not concurs with it?

Its been almost a year since I have been able to perform my primary job and given I am on flying status some meds that really help me I can’t take. I’m almost at the point where I think it would be better to be let go so I can take the medication that helps and be in a job that I can actually do. It’s been a long process and doesn’t feel like there is an end in sight.

Just to keep an update.
I’ve met with my pulmonologist and got switched to advair for my asthma. Seems to have helped me better than arnuity.
I am currently waiting for the IRILO to be submitted which should be in the next few weeks.

Just to keep an update.
I’ve met with my pulmonologist and got switched to advair for my asthma. Seems to have helped me better than arnuity.
I am currently waiting for the IRILO to be submitted which should be in the next few weeks.
update?