Asthma

molonlabedoc

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Today I was to see my normal PCM who is A NP. I enjoy his practice style and I find him to be a good PCM. On a complete lark I saw a MD today who just so happens to be the MEB physician here. She was very cordial and we bantered about my condition. She remembered me from my initial MEB that started and we spoke about the timing of having another start. She was under the impression that I could be doing an alternate PT test for the run portion and the Sit up portion of the APFT (she is a civilian). I was able to redirect her towards the AR for asthma is clearly stated otherwise. Unlike some providers she took note of the regulation and the medications I was on. She asked me if it was ok if she started the MEB. I told her if this was a year ago I would have said no, but at this point I am ready to move on with my life. I am moderately shocked at how little the MEB folks I have ran into so far know the AR regulations for Asthma.

I am thankful for this place and everyone’s collective knowledge on the matter. She did warn me that there was a chance they would find me fit, which I thought was odd and at this point I suppose I wouldn’t be all that shocked but it seems impossible from what I have read.

molonlabedoc

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I had a provider ask me why a condition the VA is looking at is not listed as a referred condition for the Army. I had no answer for his question, but it did cause me some concern. What is our recourse if we think something should be added to the DOD side as a potential condition in that would be unfit? I know its got to be easier to deal with in the process then afterwards.

Warrior644

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
I had a provider ask me why a condition the VA is looking at is not listed as a referred condition for the Army. I had no answer for his question, but it did cause me some concern. What is our recourse if we think something should be added to the DOD side as a potential condition in that would be unfit? I know its got to be easier to deal with in the process then afterwards.
In short, the provider probably should become familiar with the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process if he/she is rendering military health care to military service members; in my opinion. ;)

In reference to your first inquiry, after arriving at the MTF, the process starts when your medical care provider determines that your condition(s) warrant(s) referral into the DoD IDES. The MTF will assign a PEBLO to develop the MEB case file for the MEB phase of the DoD IDES.

To that extent, your PEBLO will complete Part I of VA Claim Form 21-0819, VA/DoD Joint Disability Evaluation Board Claim, which lists the potentially military unfitting medical conditions (e.g., PEB-referred unfitting medical conditions). Your PEBLO will counsel you on the process and identify others who can help. You will then be referred to a DoVA representative known as a Military Service Coordinator (MSC).

If I am interpreting your secondary inquiry correctly, after completion of the MEB, you will review the findings and recommendations. You will have seven days to make your election (e.g., concur, non-concur or request independent provider review). If you disagree with the MEB or feel there is information missing or not adequately addressed, you may submit a rebuttal. The Soldiers' MEB Counsel (SMEBC) are available to assist you with any MEB rebuttals.

Moreover, the MEB phase documents (via NARSUM and any addenda regarding a medical condition) the extent of your injury or illness and decides if your medical condition is severe enough to adversely affect your ability to continue serving in a full-duty capacity. The MEB physician will relate the nature and degree of your medical impairment to retention standards and the duties that you may reasonably be expected to perform in your respective branch/Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) and grade.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

molonlabedoc

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Fantastic lay out Of the process. I really appreciate it. In layman's terms does that mean any condition you list is potentially a Army rated unfit condition?

Warrior644

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Fantastic lay out Of the process. I really appreciate it. In layman's terms does that mean any condition you list is potentially a Army rated unfit condition?
OK, good deal! :) No worries, it's all good! ;)

In short, no! The PEB determines any unfit medical condition(s) from all of your listed medical conditions.

Moreover, the DoVA D-RAS shall rate all claimed medical conditions to include the PEB-referred unfitting medical conditions from the Army.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Warrior644

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
OK, good deal! :) No worries, it's all good! ;)

In short, no! The PEB determines any unfit medical condition(s) from all of your listed medical conditions.

Moreover, the DoVA D-RAS shall rate all claimed medical conditions to include the PEB-referred unfitting medical conditions from the Army.

Best Wishes!
CORRECTION #1

In short, yes! Any condition listed can potentially be an Army unfit condition. But, the PEB determines any unfit medical condition(s) from all of your listed medical conditions.

Thus, I apology for the confusion; didn't interpret your inquiry accurately.

Best Wishes!

molonlabedoc

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
You quite literally blew my mind until I saw this correction brother! I was digging and digging to see what I was reading wrong! Good news is I learned something in the process. Thank you for the consideration and the help.

There is some strangeness afoot with my case. I was referred to a VA psych exam for PTSD. When I arrived in Topeka the pscyh doc told me he was confused why I was there (definitively a bad sign in any situation) and told me before we sat down I had already taken a PTSD test and I didn’t have it. I told him I was glad to hear I dont have PTSD, but I have NEVER taken any test for it yet. He just raised his eyebrows and said that’s not likely. LOL.

He asked me some questions, I was in there for 45 minutes total, no PTSD screening done written wise any-ways, and he told me I have MDD and not PTSD. I asked him why I wasn’t given the normal written exam most people take, he said I have already. I didn’t feel like arguing with him, and know that something isnt correct.

Who do I tell in order to ensure the proper exam was given, because anyone I have talked to told me there was a computer "exam" before seeing anyone and I HAVE NOT taken any written or computer generated PTSD questionnaire.

Warrior644

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
You quite literally blew my mind until I saw this correction brother! I was digging and digging to see what I was reading wrong! Good news is I learned something in the process. Thank you for the consideration and the help.

There is some strangeness afoot with my case. I was referred to a VA psych exam for PTSD. When I arrived in Topeka the pscyh doc told me he was confused why I was there (definitively a bad sign in any situation) and told me before we sat down I had already taken a PTSD test and I didn’t have it. I told him I was glad to hear I dont have PTSD, but I have NEVER taken any test for it yet. He just raised his eyebrows and said that’s not likely. LOL.

He asked me some questions, I was in there for 45 minutes total, no PTSD screening done written wise any-ways, and he told me I have MDD and not PTSD. I asked him why I wasn’t given the normal written exam most people take, he said I have already. I didn’t feel like arguing with him, and know that something isnt correct.

Who do I tell in order to ensure the proper exam was given, because anyone I have talked to told me there was a computer "exam" before seeing anyone and I HAVE NOT taken any written or computer generated PTSD questionnaire.
You are welcome! Again, I am sorry for the temporary confusion...it's my medical conditions and its supporting prescription medication. ;)

Wow, an interesting situation! The DoVA C&P Examination clinician has the authority to make a medical diagnosis and it seems as based upon your information that the DoVA C&P Exam behavioral health clinician provided a MDD diagnosis after a Service Treatment Record (STR) review and personal interview with you.

In my opinion, it's a good idea to inform your current behavioral healthcare provider of the new MDD diagnosis to include your PCM for advisory purposes. Also, I suggest that you obtain a copy of all DoVA C&P Examination results from your local DoVA Regional Office; otherwise, it should be provided to you via your PEBLO upon your receipt of the NARSUM.

Best Wishes!

molonlabedoc

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I have my rating. 50 percent DOD for Asthma and 90 VA.

I was stunned at how high the Asthma was to be honest, I was thinking I would have to appeal to get anything above 30. I have no idea why it was over 30 other then I had a clear track record of Max PT scores the entire time I have been in (12 minute two miler) and then a complete drop.

I dont have the break down for the VA rating but will have questions on how I appeal for 100 percent come next week. Thanks for anyone and everyone that helped with this process.

Warrior644

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
I have my rating. 50 percent DOD for Asthma and 90 VA.

I was stunned at how high the Asthma was to be honest, I was thinking I would have to appeal to get anything above 30. I have no idea why it was over 30 other then I had a clear track record of Max PT scores the entire time I have been in (12 minute two miler) and then a complete drop.

I dont have the break down for the VA rating but will have questions on how I appeal for 100 percent come next week. Thanks for anyone and everyone that helped with this process.
Indeed, congratulations on the recent receipt of your DoD and DoVA proposed ratings! :)

If a PEB appeal is forthcoming upon receipt and review of the IPEB findings inclusive and DoD and DoVA proposed ratings, then I shall pray for a favorable outcome upon completion.

Best Wishes!

molonlabedoc

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Warrior,

I have an interest in the TDIU option via the VA in order to relieve me of a large amount of graduate school loans I will definitely be unable to pay off.

The Student loans can be forgiven for vets who are 100 percent disabled (I am rating at 90) would a letter showing TDIU status be the equivalent of 100 percent in lieu of a rating of 100?

Hope this makes sense.

Warrior644

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Warrior,

I have an interest in the TDIU option via the VA in order to relieve me of a large amount of graduate school loans I will definitely be unable to pay off.

The Student loans can be forgiven for vets who are 100 percent disabled (I am rating at 90) would a letter showing TDIU status be the equivalent of 100 percent in lieu of a rating of 100?

Hope this makes sense.
Indeed, I comprehend overall your intent; therefore, I would suggest that you concentrate your efforts on the one or more military service-connected disabilities which result in you being unable to work.

Outwardly to the DoVA, please don't focus on the benefits of TDIU as such the DoVA doesn't grant award approval for overall personal gain and/or intent.

In addition, are you currently approved for SSA SSDI disability compensation? If so, then to prove your forthcoming TDIU claim, social security awards can be very helpful if the social security award covers the same disability[ies] involved in the TDIU claim.

Nonetheless, achieve the ultimate TDIU goal and the personal benefits of TDIU shall definitely follow for sure! ;)

Best Wishes!

molonlabedoc

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I am just now going through the SSDI process. Its a bit of a whirlwind to figure all this out, I cant fathom what it was like before this forum was available.

Thanks for the info.

molonlabedoc

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Is it best to contact a Lawyer right out the gate for SSDI? I have but haven’t had a chance to speak to them yet over the phone so I wasn’t sure.

I am perusing the forums to find what others have done to expedite the process. I understand we qualify for faster processing as WW programs.

wilsonmadison

Registered Member
Asthma is caused due to genetic interactions and the complex understood environment. It is combination of both. You should go through the treatment for this and if it heels you to resign army than i think it is a right decision.

Warrior644

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
I am just now going through the SSDI process. Its a bit of a whirlwind to figure all this out, I cant fathom what it was like before this forum was available.
Thanks for the info.
Indeed, you are welcome! :)

Hmm, whether the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process and/or the SSA SSDI process both can be very challenging events to navigate thru in my own opinion! :confused:

Nonetheless, indeed, the PEB Forum website can definitely bridge the gap to lend assistance with both aforementioned processes for sure! ;)

Best Wishes!

Warrior644

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Is it best to contact a Lawyer right out the gate for SSDI? I have but haven’t had a chance to speak to them yet over the phone so I wasn’t sure.

I am perusing the forums to find what others have done to expedite the process. I understand we qualify for faster processing as WW programs.
In my opinion, don't delay with the submission of your SSA SSDI application! As such, apply now if you feel that all of your medical conditions prevent you from obtaining, performing, and maintaining substantial gainful activity (SGA).

From my experiences with the entire Social Security Administration (SSA) Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) process, I received a "disabled" SSDI determination within 76 calendar days via their Wounded Warrior Incentive Program.

As such, I offer the following additional information to potentially yield some assistance in your continuing pursuit for SSA SSDI disability compensation:

The SSDI and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) disability programs are the largest of several Federal programs that provide assistance to people with disabilities. While these two programs are different in many ways, both are administered by the SSA and only individuals who have a disability and meet medical criteria may qualify for benefits under either program. SSI pays benefits based on financial need while SSDI pays benefits to you and certain members of your family if you are "insured," meaning that you worked long enough and paid Social Security taxes.

Being a Wounded Warrior shall yield a priority processing option while your file is being adjudicated in the SSA SSDI disability compensation program. In retrospect, the SSA's SSDI is an "all" or "none" based total disability program, unlike the DoVA which compensates for numerous medical conditions which may not be totally disabling.

In reference to SSA SSDI, the State Disability Determination Services (DDS) need to know all medical conditions which
could potentially affect your ability to perform substantial gainful activity (SGA) and the SSA overall SSDI determination.

Most Social Security disability claims are initially processed through a network of local SSA field offices and State agencies (usually called DDSs). Subsequent appeals of unfavorable determinations may be decided in a DDS or by an administrative law judge (ALJ) in SSA's Office of Disability Adjudication and Review.

The SSA's State Disability Determination Services (DDS) function is to perform an evaluation of medical disability (i.e., claimant is found disabled or not disabled under SSA rules) only for the SSA SSDI case if it meets all regulatory SSA SSDI qualifications. If all SSDI qualifications are validated, then SSA Field Office forwards the SSDI case file to the applicable State DDS.

In reference to a SSDI Lawyer which some applicants shall hire at their own expense, that's a good option if an individual truly meets the SSA SSDI qualifications, but were denied for whatever reason(s). To that extent and in most cases, the SSDI applicant doesn't properly complete all the required SSA SSDI forms. They vaguely or not legibly complete the forms then expect the SSA & SSA DDS to interpret their feedback. Won't happen; it will ultimately result in a denial of SSDI benefits.

In addition, the SSA DDS won't receive the requested medical documentation upon request from the applicant's medical providers. It's not the fault of the SSDI applicant, but it will ultimately result in a denial of SSDI benefits.

So, if the aforementioned observations were a result in the SSA's denial of an individual’s SSDI application, then it's probably in the best interest of the individual to hire the assistance of a seasoned SSDI attorney for potential award of SSA SSDI benefits.

Moreover, the SSA uses a GRID of Rules "concept" if a disability applicant doesn't meet qualifications as annotated on their established medical impairment listing. The GRIDs are set up as a series of charts which can be confusing. SSA will make a determination on what level of exertion you can perform at in a work environment. The categories are from least level of exertion to most: sedentary, light, medium, and heavy.

To that extent, the GRID of rules calculate when an applicant is disabled as based on age, RFC level (sedentary, light, medium, or heavy work), education level, and work history and skills. If the applicant's impairment(s) does not met or equal a listing, the GRID rules come into play when an individual has a severe medically determinable physical or mental impairment, is not working at SGA level, and the impairment prevents an individual from performing any of their past relevant work (PRW).

With that all said, if a SSDI applicant potentially wants that "disabled" SSDI determination, it's in the applicant's BEST interest to thoroughly and accurately complete ALL requested SSA DDS documentation in a timely manner. Believe it or not, especially if the SSDI applicant identifies themselves as "Wounded Warrior" eligible, the SSA DDS are trying to make a swift well-informed medical determination.

Upon completion of the SSA SSDI process, it's a good idea to request a complete copy of your SSA case file (for a nominal fee) upon availability. The "disability determination explanation" packet will include at a minimum "findings of fact and analysis of evidence" and an "assessment of vocational factors" write-ups which are very detailed to yield better explanations of any potential SSDI denial.

Upon the successful award of a "disabled" determination by SSA SSDI criteria via the State DDS since it's not a permanent disability compensation federal program, the SSA has special rules which allow an individual to work temporarily without losing their Social Security disability benefits.

With the Ticket to Work program, Work Incentives are available to you when you assign your Ticket to an Employment Network. Work Incentives make it easier for adults with disabilities to work and still receive health care and cash benefits from Social Security. Also, Work Incentives allow you to remain in control of your finances and health care during your transition to work and financial independence.

Indeed, you are eligible for several Work Incentives: the Trial Work Period (TWP) for SSDI recipients only, the Expedited Reinstatement (EXR) for both SSDI and SSI recipients, and the Protection from Medical Continuing Disability Reviews (CDR) for both SSDI and SSI recipients.

In particularly for the SSDI recipients only, the SSA's TWP allows an SSDI recipient to test their ability to work for at least nine months (not necessarily consecutive) in a rolling 60-month period without losing benefits. As long as the SSDI recipient remains disabled, they can get full Social Security disability benefits during those nine months no matter how much the SSDI recipient earns as a maximum limit, but in 2014 any monthly earnings which exceeds $770 is considered a month of services for an individual's TWP.

At your leisure, I suggest that you visit the following resources to obtain detailed information about the SSA disability evaluations and SSA SSDI GRID of rules:

1. http://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/cfr20/404/404-app-p02.htm
2. http://www.ultimatedisabilityguide.com/grid_rules.html
http://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/

Best Wishes!

molonlabedoc

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Did you apply online or is that an option?

Thanks for the thorough information man.

Warrior644

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Did you apply online or is that an option?

Thanks for the thorough information man.
Indeed, you are welcome! :)

In retrospect, I initially completed my SSA SSDI application via the SSA website but I ensured to annotate in the comments section that I was a Wounded Warrior! Then, an appointment was schedule for a visit to the local SSA Field Office to validate eligibiity of the SSDI application.

Upon successful validation due to being an active duty military service member, my SSA SSDI case file was forwarded to the State DDS for a medical determination as based upon the SSA SSDI rules and regulations.

Upon the completion of additional SSDI forms and the SSA's continued processing, I received the "disabled" SSDI determination award letter via USPS First Class mail with a total processing duration of 76 calendar days.

Best Wishes!

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">