AW2 vs WTU

BGeddings

Registered Member
Hello all,

I've been lurking for awhile, never posted before. I can usually find my answers by searching, but this one I haven't been able to find. Is it possible to enroll in AW2 without being in a WTU? I'm currently awaiting ratings for an unfitting condition of Seizures/Syncope, and 10 other conditions that were not found unfitting. My unit has deactivated, and there are only a few of us left that are sitting around waiting for PCS or ETS. I haven't applied or been referred for WTU, but I'm looking at an internship with the Corps of Engineers through their AW2 program. I'm trying to see if I can get into AW2, without being in WTU?

Thanks for any info.

Brandon

Eligibility Requirements
To qualify for AW2, a Soldier must suffer from wounds, illness, or injuries incurred in the line of duty after September 10, 2001, and receive or expect to receive at least a 30% rating from the Integrated Disability Evaluation System (IDES) for one of the conditions listed below, or receive a combined 50% IDES rating for any other combat/combat-related condition:

• Post-traumatic stress disorder
  • Severe traumatic brain injury (TBI)
  • Severe loss of vision/blindness
  • Severe hearing loss/deafness
  • Fatal / incurable disease with limited life expectancy
  • Loss of limb
  • Spinal cord injury
  • Permanent disfigurement
  • Severe burns
  • Severe paralysis

There is an AW2 representative in most WTU's as well as most VA hospitals. They are contractors that act as a lifelong soldier advocate if you qualify.

With that being said, the contract is awarded every three years, you may have to chase down the AW2 representative in your area.

It does not hurt to apply for the program regardless.

What is the benefit of being in aw2?

Would ALS be considered an "illness" that effects the brain and spine? I essentially does, specifically the motor neurons in the brain and spine...

I was recently enrolled in AW2 without being in WTU. I will actually meet my advocate next week. All I did was sending them my IPEB unfit memo which reflected TBI and other conditions clearly showing that I will get more than 50% rating. I also attached the PTSD C&P exam showing that I will get 30% from the VA (the IPEB didn't address it since the MEB ruled it can determine at this point how I will respond to treatment. .. whatever, I'm appealing that one among others). I also attached a temporary profile addressing the PTSD and the discharge summary of an inpatient program listing my PTSD as Chronic. The lady at the AW2 replied to my email within an hour and then she called me before I even read the email to tell me I was accepted. Bottom line is, if you show them evidence that you will eventually meet the criteria, they will accept you.

What is the advantage of applying to AW2? Do they continue services after you leave AD?

What is the advantage of applying to AW2? Do they continue services after you leave AD?

Yes your representative will forward your info to an AW2 advocate at the VAMC closest to you location post retirement! In my opinion they pretty much keep in contact with you in case you need help with the transition from active to civilian life and also can be contacted if you are having any issues on the VA side