Bad Feeling

lucky208

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So I finished up my VA/ QTC medical portion this week and I'm beginning to have some doubt. I'm sure I'm not alone and we all may have played the what if game. Here is my concern: Examiner had thick accent/ I was asked to repeat myself (maybe I had the thick accent???) multiple times, examiner aloof repeating "gotcha" "ok" and "hmm" a lot, did not ask a lot of questions especially about my heart condition which I believe to be the most concerning issue. He did a 12 lead and asked what medications I took and that was it. He didn't ask about occupational or social impacts. Did not ask about the results from the heart monitor I wore that showed multiple runs of AFIB/ Aflutter or the surgeries I've had for this condition. The MEB Dr. has my off-post Dr. notes/ heart monitor results/ surgery notes so I'll see how the NARSUM helps my position and hopefully the VA exam was nothing to be concerned with. This whole process sucks...

They are not supposed to ask you those questions they deduct that themselves based on your condition and their medical expertise.

Occupational and social functioning are used for mental health conditions, not cardiac conditions. If you post your diagnosis, I will point you toward the things that define your level of compensation. Alternatively, you can search for your diagnosis in the link below and do the same for yourself.

Thanks for the input. I was mistaken in what the VA evaluates for cardiac conditions but according to VA Form 21-0960A Mar 2018 section XV asks about Functional impact. Here is my cardiac hx: diagnosed with AFib/ Flutter in Aug 2018. Currently on Xarelto to prevent clots and Verapamil for HR control. Wore monitor for 7 days, showed mutiple(7-8) runs of AFib/ Flutter. Had cardiac ablatation in the fall of 2018. Still sypmtomatc with AFib and still taking meds.
My concern is during the VA exam will not paint an accurate picture of the condition unless they (VA) take into account my previous exams/ procedures/ off post records. MEB Dr/ PEBLO have the off post records.
I'll have see how this all plays out just like everyone else here.

I didn't go through for the same condition you have, but I can confirm based on the number of doctors/medical personal I saw, they are pretty nonchalant throughout the whole process. The only ones who weren't were the mental docs.

The doctors doing your evaluations do this everyday and some for 30+ years. They have seen and heard it all. They are also generally crunched for time, so they try to get people in and out as quickly and efficiently as possible. Sometimes they come across as rude or pushy even based off what I have personally seen and heard.

I wouldn't worry about it too much right now. You'll drive your anxiety through the roof and cause yourself a bunch of unneeded stress. You have zero control over anything at this point. So, try your best to relax and focus on other things. Maybe, go ahead and get all of your CIF/RFI stuff together, maybe start an online college class or two. Play some World of Warcraft or a game you might like, read some books or write.

There are some people on this board who know a ton, and have forgotten more than most of us will ever know. They will help you with the real info. The hardest part about this process is the waiting around. Your future is literally in the hands of the docs and the PEB. If you let it eat you up, you'll be miserable for the duration.

Sorry I wasn't much help personally, but do your best to relax.

Just received the VA exam/ NARSUM paperwork. AFIB/ Flutter is one of my "does not meet retention" standards. The NARSUM captured the accurate AFIB/ Flutter history, condition, and listed all relevant medical treatment. The VA Exam for the Heart Condition was grossly inaccurate. The VA/ QTC examiner did not mention the Holter monitor results (which were greater than 4). With AFIB according to the VARSD, episodes are rated at more than 4 or less than 4. The Holter monitor recorded more than 8 episodes but the VA examiner listed 0 episodes. He also did not mention the surgery I had for AFIB. I'm at loss, the MEB folks had the medical paperwork and I assume so did the VA. Does this mean I have to wait until the results from the PEB to find out how the VA rates or can I change/ update the VA exam before the PEB reviews? Thanks.

If your ratings come back incorrect, you can ask for a VARR. The ratings process is more complex than one might think. So relax and remember you have the option of a VARR, if necessary.

I reached out to the VA/ QTC examiner and left a message. I have the required documentation to dispute the errors on the DBQ so I'm hoping that maybe he can amend the DBQ before my packet gets reviewed by the PEB. We'll see.

I reached out to the VA/ QTC examiner and left a message. I have the required documentation to dispute the errors on the DBQ so I'm hoping that maybe he can amend the DBQ before my packet gets reviewed by the PEB. We'll see.
I

Iwould tread carefully when reaching back out to an examiner, especially if it's a contractor. My advice is to trust the process. I went from a 10% to 80% rating on my unfitting because my C&P went through same way; I was having >10 episodes a week and they put 0.

I know it's tough, but make sure you are pre-prepping your VARR with the facts you mentioned and provide it to your lawyer neat and organized. It's easy for me to look back now and say don't worry, but being that you have cited recorded evidence, it should all buff out.

Met with MEB Legal today. I have the rebuttal memo drafted for the Heart Condition DBQ with substantiating medical records ready to submit if VA ratings come back unfavorable. It's unfortunate that due to VA/ contractor error the burden of proof is on the service member to correct. I understand that IDES is a process with checks and balances in place. My concern is that how many erroneous exams does the VA/ QTC provide/ cost to tax payers/ affect the erroneous exams have on the service members transition. So, I'm forced to wait and hope that the VA ratings examiners take into account my NARSUM and my service treatment records since the DBQ doesn't accurately reflect condition.