being found fit/unfit

swanqueen

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hi everyone,
I've been in the Air Force for 4 1/2 years now and in September I started the medboard process. I was referred for asthma and mental health (depression, anxiety, and panic disorder without agoraphobia). I finally just finished my last VA exam on Dec 22 so now I'm just waiting on the determination of being fit/unfit and I guess the disability ratings. ( I also was evaluated for GERD, back pain, sinusitis, and tinnitus). I work as a respiratory therapist in the AF, but since June, I have just been working as an admin at a computer because I have so many profiles that don't allow me to perform patient care or any of my tasks as an RT. I have also been on a PT profile for 3 years for not being able to perform pushups, situps and the 1 1/2 mile run. Anyways, I'm trying to plan out my life but I can't until I know if I've been found unfit or not. I want to be found unfit so I can pursue what I want in life. Do you all have any recommendations on how much longer this process will take and if I will be found fit/unfit? I'm hoping to be out around March/April. Thank you for reading and have a happy new year!

Timelines re hard to predict. Your March/April guesstimate sounds reasonable, but don't spend a dollar you can't afford to lose based on a guesstimate.

BTW GERD is presumptive for CRSC.

Im not sure what CRSC is, I’ve never heard of it. And I know timelines are extremely hard to predict, I’m just wondering if I should start sending resumes out and applying for jobs and looking for houses to move to in the near future. My biggest fear is not getting prepared to get out, and then I get my date and I’ll have nothing lined up for me on the civilian side.

Im not sure what CRSC is, I’ve never heard of it. And I know timelines are extremely hard to predict, I’m just wondering if I should start sending resumes out and applying for jobs and looking for houses to move to in the near future. My biggest fear is not getting prepared to get out, and then I get my date and I’ll have nothing lined up for me on the civilian side.
Your DoD retired pay will be reduced dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation received. You get to keep the residual retired pay (left over)

Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) is a program that was created for disability and non-disability military retirees with combat-related disabilities. It is a tax-free entitlement that replaces some or all of waived retired pay associated with the receipt of VA compensation for combat-related disabilities. VA compensation is paid in full. With CRSC you can receive an amount equal to or less than your length of service retirement pay and your VA disability compensation, if the injury is combat-related.

See this collection of CRSC info: LINK <----

Ron

Presumptive in the context used here, means that an illness is presumed to have been caused by service in a particular area.

Example: My prostate cancer was presumptively caused by exposure to Agent Orange while serving in Vietnam a lifetime ago.

Ron

The high correlation between certain illness and military exposure results in the VA declaring them as such.