Best States for Disabled Veterans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! Without thoroughly looking it over, I noticed their information for mil retired pay state tax is conflicting. Page 68 shows partially exempt for Iowa, but the last page shows Iowa being green. As of 2014, Iowans are fully (state) exempt from retired milpay tax. Again, thanks for the link, but I would double check their information when using it.

Texas is a good state and that's where I'm locating to in six months.

I PDRL'd from Army w/70% and VA 100% P&T and lived in Oregon when this happened.
I'm in N. California right now and am transitioning to SE Asia - Spring 2017.

But a few months from now, and before I leave for SE Asia, I'll be relocating to Texas to establish residency, so when I get back in 3-5 years, I will be ready to make my next moves (build home & get property tax break of ZERO property tax).

Texas has no state income tax, so no state tax return to do.

You may want to check out Texas - just stay living above the 100 year flood plains....

nwlivewire

You may want to check out Texas - just stay living above the 100 year flood plains....

nwlivewire- thanks might want to see thread "VA Award Letter Question" Post # 60" as believe FEMA FIRMETTE's can assist with, staying out flood area, etc... this as well as NOAA Weather Radio, believe can be more than useful, as some areas-regions Gulf Coast currently experiencing flooding...again...

But real question is this, if anyone knows, have met quite a few vet's reside Europe, etc.., but return US on occasion to attend things like PRRTP, etc.... how do US VA Benefits work say for those residing in Europe, in particular a NATO Member Country...??????

Is there an all encompassing, as much as can be done, US VA Publication that covers Veterans and their benefits if live abroad, and if so where does one find it....?????

Thanks, and call me stupid....for not knowing if there is a all encompassing VA Publication on this topic....???

Also I concur some of the listed web-sites this thread are in fact quite useful such as provided MOAA web-link.....at web-address: Military 2017 State Report Card and Tax Guide for example????

nwlivewire- others happy New Year 2019

(still issue this web-site..)

Is there an all encompassing, as much as can be done, US VA Publication that covers Veterans and their benefits if live abroad, and if so where does one find it....?????

If there is not such a manual for US veterans living abroad were does one find any agreements the US has made with other nations in regards veterans living abroad?

Has anyone-drilled down- if living abroad- into the US Status of Forces Agreement with the country they are currently residing in? See for example only web-address: Status of forces agreement - Wikipedia "Status of forces agreement"From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and perhaps https://www.state.gov/documents/organization/236456.pdf "Report on Status of Forces Agreements" by International Security Advisory Board dated January 16, 2015 for example only????

I, and others, am sure can remember being stationed abroad and other countries service members being able to utilize US Facilities like the BX/PX; Commissary, Canteen, Gyms etc.... and in some cases when their nations currency was much stronger than US Dollar simply buying the places out.....?????

So simply wondering if anyone has 'deep dived' this topic, so to speak...... or once again their is a US DVA Publication that covers a lot of this, per country, treaty or Region of World...????

Thanks......and hopefully someone has some extensive experience in this area as am sure would greatly assist US veterans living abroad or those seriously contemplating it.....????????

Idaho is great if you like some space and land to enjoy the outdoors.they have property tax reduction up to 1300 if you are 100%. And they don’t tax military retirement. I am living in a 6 acre farm with irrigation and 3 cows, 21 chickens, 2 ducks, 3 dogs and 4 cats... I practically have my own zoo!! Loving it!

Idaho is great if you like some space and land to enjoy the outdoors.they have property tax reduction up to 1300 if you are 100%. And they don’t tax military retirement. I am living in a 6 acre farm with irrigation and 3 cows, 21 chickens, 2 ducks, 3 dogs and 4 cats... I practically have my own zoo!! Loving it!

tony292-nwlivewire: Great Tony292- however I think veterans-retirees often forget that many vets-retirees whom have had exposure issues- chemical, biological, etc..., due to service in many of US Conflict zones, and have weakened immune symptoms, often forget to check things like the US CDC Influenza Map, for example at following web-addresses, for example only:

Or even state level Department's of Health such as following web-links for example only:

Items like these could play a huge role in were one decides to relocate......perhaps??????

Also, travel books, which did not see listed here, this thread, or for those thinking of moving abroad- CIA World Fact Books, are in fact highly useful as well- see for example only, if so interested web-address: https://www.cia.gov/librarY/publications/the-world-factbook/docs/summary/GM_general_one_pager.pdf and as example Travel Book, if thinking relocating Gulf Coast Region US, perhaps, for example only, "The Original Fairhope Guidebook-A Walking Tour" by The Fairhope Writers Group.....

Still, kind of wondering if there is (exists) an all encompassing, as much as can be done, US VA Publication that covers Veterans and their benefits if live abroad, and if so where does one find it....????? (per Post #23 Above)

Thanks Tony292- nwlivewire- hope have fantastic New Year 2019.......

(still issues this website...)

tony292-[B]nwlivewire[/B]- something else in addition to things like CDC Health Charts for states and/or regions, that is not addressed here is Climate-Topography in State a veteran/retirees might want to relocate to! This can add significant cost in host of areas from clothing (especially with spouse and children), proper bedding, auto mobile adjustments (engine block heater; air intake adjustment altitude, snow-ice tires/chains; survival gear in trunk...) !

Might want to see, for example only, North America :: United States — The World Factbook - Central Intelligence Agency - "Geography United States"

If one wishes to move say to Alaska- one will simply need tons of things, such as clothing ala US Army ECWCS System- Extended Cold Weather Clothing System (see for example only web-address: http://chemicaldragon.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/ECWCS.205181439.pdf ); an engine block heater, extra fuel cans, down-wool-electric blankets, snow-ice tires/chains; snow shovels-picks, etc... and all of this adds up in USD very, very quickly....

Then there is the simple issue of self-sustainment, say in Alaska- cost of food (Alaska whole lot flown in various areas so simply costs more); cost of fuel-high price gasoline and diesel fuel due local regulations (or once was); ease of travel to local US DVA or other medical facilities- which is largely weather dependent and cannot get to some places via road or rail in winter...

(Funny: local veteran supposedly gave a lot of formerly issued US Army Gear as issued at US DVA Standowns [see, if so inclined, PEB FORUM THREAD-"Burn pit documents and resources" Post Number# 35 Forum PEB and Disability Evaluation System Overview Conditions and Ratings Respiratory Conditions ] in large Alice Pack, packed IAW former USARAK-USAEUR-USFK old CSM standards and individual, allegedly, could not even lift, let alone carry all of it as US Infantry Soldiers, etc.. must be able to do! This is no slight on individual discussed above, as a local doctor- very athletic/ in shape- tried pick Alice Pack up a put on back and could not do it as well! This local MD asked, if females, in IN units-Ranger School, etc.. if they get "hormone-injections” as they simply could not believe the average US Female could wear all this on extended filed Exercises/Deployments, eating One MRE A Day, and walking on average 6-10 Miles A Day...LOL,LOL...;))

Then let’s take Alabama, for example! Whole bunch UASF retire around bases in Montgomery AL, etc... and simply cannot believe how cold it gets when the sun goes down in winter, or that in fact on rare occasions even lower Alabama gets snow and ice.... necessitating some level of winter gear if say moving from South Texas, Southern CA or Florida. Then there is the beyond hot and humid summers that require totally different items- such as sun protection, constant hydration requirements, heat clothing, and Air Conditioning etc....which all incur further cost if relocating from say New England and or Oregon.....

As one can hopefully see, relocating for a retiree and or veteran whom are solely on say US BVA fixed income can in fact become quite a huge fiscal issue just due to Geography alone...

Hope this helps at least one vet and family planning on possibly relocating- either US or abroad...??????

(still issues this web-site!)

nwlivewire-[B]tony292[/B] & others posted this Thread- I do not want to be accused of hijacking a post- but I think something else veterans/retirees and familes should consider, especially relocating within the United Sates falls under site founder thread "Little Rock, Arkansas, becomes latest community to declare effective end to Veteran homelessness" !

IAW links provided above thread there is very specific criteria for communities to attain the goal "Little Rock-AK" has attained, which is beyond fantastic! See for example only web-address: https://www.usich.gov/resources/upl...l_Ending_Veteran_Homelessness_v3_10_01_15.pdf "ACHIEVING THE GOAL OF ENDING VETERAN HOMELESSNESS Criteria and Benchmarks" !

Furthermore, apparently a listing of the US Communities can be found at for example only, web-address: Ending Veteran Homelessness - Homeless Veterans
"Ending Veteran Homelessness-A Community by Community Tally"

Think this highly informative and very useful thread by site founder for those veterans/retirees/ and their families experiencing or about to potentially become homeless.......

For veterans/retirees living abroad- I think one thing many overlook, is simply attempting to blend in with local populace whilst abroad- kind of an OPSEC thing, that was taught to those whom were Forward Deployed, eons ago, and do not know if still do...???? (This can also add to costs of relocating abroad....???)

If interested might want to see following web-links, for example only, as well other similar websites:

How to Blend in Abroad: Tips To Avoid Looking and Acting Like A Tourist "How to Blend in Abroad: Tips To Avoid Looking and Acting Like A Tourist" Posted By Dave And Deb • 34 Comments »Guest Posts, How to pack for a Trip, How to Plan your next Trip

The CIA officer’s guide to blending in overseas "The CIA officer’s guide to blending in overseas"

Hope this assists-at least one veteran-retiree and or their families.............

PS: Although, there are times-occasions when the so-called "Ugly American" proves useful as well......

(still some issues this website)

You have to stay away from the NE, west coast, and major urban areas as the cost of living can erode a lot of cash flow.

You have to stay away from the NE, west coast, and major urban areas as the cost of living can erode a lot of cash flow.

oddpedestrian- thanks, and concur, not being an economist-financial adviser, etc... thought you might find the below web-sites, for example only, interesting:

VA Disability Compensation Rates See Largest Increase in 7 Years "VA Disability Compensation Rates See Largest Increase in 7 Years"

https://www.hadit.com/va-disability-compensation-rates-historic-for-retro-calculation/ "VA DISABILITY CLAIMS - HADIT.COM-FOR VETERANS WHO'VE HAD IT WITH THE VA"

From above listed website, the below table- in part-copied/cited in "italics" for example only:

��
Research was unable to find rates for 1983 and 1999
Effective
Date
10%20%30%40%50%60%70%80%90%100%Effective
Date
5/1/1974​
$32​
$59​
$89​
$122​
$171​
$211​
$250​
$289​
$325​
$584​
5/1/1974​

12/1/2004​
$108​
$210​
$324​
$466​
$663​
$839​
$1056​
$1227​
$1380​
$2299​
12/1/2004​

So doing a "present value calculation" of 100% disabled from 100% 1974 USD of $584 to 2017 USD equals $2,903 USD in 2017 IAW web-address/site, for example only: $584 in 1974 → 2017 | Inflation Calculator "CPI Inflation Calculator"

Per, once again, VA Disability Compensation Rates See Largest Increase in 7 Years "VA Disability Compensation Rates See Largest Increase in 7 Years" 100% Disability in 2019 is supposed to be at "100 percent - $3,057.13 "

Now per, once again, and if correct (?), $584 in 1974 → 2019 | Inflation Calculator "CPI Inflation Calculator" "584. USD in 1974" equals supposedly same purchasing power of "$2,985.60-USD in Year 2019"

So in reality if "CPI Inflation Calculator" Correct $584- Year 1974 USD equals "$2,985.60" in Year 2019 USD the perhaps veterans have seen a net gain in US Disability Compensation from Year 1974 to Year 2019 of "$3,057.13 USD Year 2019 -(minus) $2,985.60 USD [present value $584 Year 1974 USD] of $71.53 USD since Year 1974- if all calculations and web-site utilized correct......????? Not being a financial expert nor economist......Others please correct if I am wrong here.....????

oddpedestrian-others: thought might find interesting......and thanks.....

PS: If I am incorrect in anything here perhaps new SuperModerator RonG can correct or add......????? (see PEBForum Thread"Welcome our newest moderator- RonG")

Also, for those may not "track" exactly what/why/how(?) try calculating here might suggest, if interested, and for example only, web-address: Time value of money - Wikipedia "Time value of money" From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Might also want see for good laugh.......if need one.....https://www.google.com/search?q=In+Living+Color+-+Keep+Your+Butt+In+School&rlz=1C1PRFI_enUS778US778&oq=In+Living+Color+-+Keep+Your+Butt+In+School&aqs=chrome..69i57.3282j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 Google Search Results for - "In Living Color" TV Show skit "Oswald Bates-Keep Your B..tt In School"......

(still issues this web-site...)

Last edited:
I lived in ID for several years. It is a sportsman's paradise.

[B]chaplaincharlie[/B]- meaning to ask, were are are you an ordained minister and if so where did you get your degree in theology/ministry or were actual US Military Chaplain?

[B]nwlivewire[/B]- I believe encourages studying abroad, if not mistaken and if so humblest apologies, hard keep track avatars and names....

If an ordained minister or degree theology, etc.... Chaplain Charlie...could you recommend a few good schools for say just theology that a humble vet could get into perhaps online or online/part-time attendance in program in both the US and possibly abroad?????????

Also are you familiar with any of the free online course in say Theology and the US Constitution, etc.. offered by Hills-dale College and if so what think of them. Watched a Theology Seminar from Hillsdale and was intriguing, in that the first lecture in series does not believe in quantifying things with math alone per say...but did not give clear reason....?

Additionally, are you familiar with any of the works of Elijah Muhammad, such as "Message to the Blackman in America," "Understanding the Bible and Holy Qur'an As taught by the Honorable Elijah Muhammad," "THE FALL OF AMERICA," and "Our Saviour Has Arrived" just to name a few.......of this authors works...and what was your assessment?

Finally, and hopefully if were a US Military Chaplain, how much training did you receive either in seminary or US Army (Military) Chaplin Corps Training on Koran, Torah, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc.......????

Thanks ChaplainCharlie.....hopefully can answer some of the above, if in fact a Chaplain, etc....????? If not my apologies.....in advance for wasting time here....????

Tony292, Oddpedestrian, etc...: curious know any vets that reside in Alaska, and what their thoughts are as a good or not so good state for vets.....realizing Alaska is kind of a "prisoner of its own geography", split North and South by Brooks Mountain Range - Mount Denali, (if not mistaken ?) etc... with Fairbanks AK to North and Anchorage and Seward AK to South..... so could have very different experiences within a State as widely separated and as big as Alaska geographically....?????

Odd how many folks in the Gulf Coast VA System-VISN16 worked US DVA System in Alaska.... as well, or were statined US military there, so really curious about quality US DVA System in Alaska, where perhaps things like Mobile or Fly In (?) Clinics and Video Tele-Conferencing (VTC) are more than likely a must...??????

Thanks......

I do not want to be accused of hijacking a post- but I think something else veterans/retirees and familes should consider, especially relocating within the United Sates falls under site founder thread "Little Rock, Arkansas, becomes latest community to declare effective end to Veteran homelessness" !

IAW links provided above thread there is very specific criteria for communities to attain the goal "Little Rock-AK" has attained, which is beyond fantastic! See for example only web-address: https://www.usich.gov/resources/upl...l_Ending_Veteran_Homelessness_v3_10_01_15.pdf "ACHIEVING THE GOAL OF ENDING VETERAN HOMELESSNESS Criteria and Benchmarks" !

Furthermore, apparently a listing of the US Communities can be found at for example only, web-address: Ending Veteran Homelessness - Homeless Veterans
"Ending Veteran Homelessness-A Community by Community Tally"

ALL: just wondering if anyone knows if anybody/agency/media, etc... is- fact checking- all or most areas declaring end to veteran homelessness, with "boots on the ground" observation and analysis per set guidelines and criteria???? Vet talked to, has allegedly talked some vets in the say in Mobile AL area, for example only, and apparently veterans 1) were supposedly unaware of this declaration of "end of veteran homelessness" status for say Mobile AL (example area only), and-or of very specific criteria that had to be met before a municipality.. could claim this very honorable status???!

As with most very lofty and noble goals, only as good as verification, particularly where very good, clear guidance and criteria given- hopefully by outside sources, and if most affected, such as veterans, are in fact aware of the programs, etc...!!!

Thanks.....and please correct me if wrong ......

Typically it takes a multi-organizational approach to attack the issue of homelessness. Here is a link to an article in Salt Lake City which makes similar claims regarding chronic homelessness. How Salt Lake City Solved Chronic Veteran Homelessness

It is a challenge to go out and count every single homeless person and see if they qualify for services as a veteran. I have worked in outreach with homeless veterans to include those who have a discharge status that prevented them from obtaining services through the typically C&P channels that we are most familiar with.

Most municipalities have special homeless courts and other wrap around services to assist those with challenges to overcome them. There is no one catch all solution, therefore the more eyes on the issue, the better.

In my opinion, it is OK to be a skeptic, but one also has to have faith and trust to overcome complex problems.

It takes everyone to be a fact checker, therefore if anyone who is reading this, please refer any homeless veteran you know back to the VA, as they will get some from of assistance if they are willing to accept it.

In my opinion, it is OK to be a skeptic, but one also has to have faith and trust to overcome complex problems.

It takes everyone to be a fact checker, therefore if anyone who is reading this, please refer any homeless veteran you know back to the VA, as they will get some from of assistance if they are willing to accept it.

Thanks GSFowler- yes it is a complex issue, and skepticism, in many cases is more than warranted, given all issues US VA...- and I would pose this simple question as, you point out, everything has multiple sides "what in reality is most cost effective not only for a municipality, but other entities as well, actually solving, as you say the highly complex issue of veterans homelessness, or say perhaps other alternatives......of which there are more than numerous..and will simply leave for others to ponder that???"

There is no one catch all solution, therefore the more eyes on the issue, the better.

So I agree with you, the more eyes on the issue, in fact the better....or as they say in local papers "the truth is out there".....but only if folks are in fact seeking it IAW the very clear cut criteria this more than honorable "designation" merits...otherwise it is simply like giving everyone an A+ rating, which in reality we are not all A+ students, by any means.....

Thanks GSFowler and I do hope per :

People, in fact do refer any homeless veteran to the US VA...that too is a more than honorable goal in and of itself, and I do not have experience working shelters as per you, but have in fact tried to assist this issue with local US VA and actually got more assistance from others-i.e. Non-profit organizations- than the local US VA System...... very sadly.....

One can only hope with programs such as this, that in fact have very clear and exacting standards, things will only get better.... but myself more than highly skeptic.....with more than good reason....

Thanks GSFolwer.....as always.....

Once again GSFowler/ChaplainCharlie/Oddpedestrian...... once again, and by all means correct me if I am wrong here, but think very relevant to those looking to re-locate perhaps another US State or Territory and perhaps purchase property first time......

Veteran, I know just learned that if say buying into an Property Owner's Association (POA) or Homeowners Association (HOA) and handed a simple 1-2 page list of Rules/Covenants/Conventions for that particular HOA/POA or Municipality... one needs to double check, as more than likely their are volumes of other rules and regulations in addition to the 1-2 pages, might perhaps be shown, written by possibly numerous attorney's and on file somewhere within said governing Municipality or State-US Territory.....

Furthermore, if one can might be prudent to learn whom is on HOA/POA Board of Directors and their occupations if at all possible. Apparently in Lower Alabama (LA), for example only, some HOA/POA Board Presidents are in fact in medical profession, real estate, construction, etc.... like in one sub-division area of LA's coveted Eastern Shore- is in fact a board certified PsyD and has in fact utilized this skill against "veteran" residents supposedly..... ?????? This is all more than important if anyone has done any reading at all multiple issue that plague US HOA's/POA's nation wide...and believe posted elsewhere this forum......???????

Anyway, thanks, GSFowler/ChaplainCharlie/Oddpedestrian and hope this greatly assists at least helps one veteran and or their family out there......???????

GSFowler/ChaplainCharlie/Oddpedestrian...... ALL, once again, it occurred to me that another criteria one should consider moving or relocating within the United States or Abroad is in "legal-criminal justice systems-and laws that govern resident's or citizens" perhaps??????

Keeping that in mind might want to visit following web-sites, for example only, as sure others much more capable of researching things like this:

-Best to worst legal systems in America - Just The Facts - The Public Policy Institute see chart from "Source: U.S. Chamber of Commerce, www.uschamber.com" within article

-Global Scores & Rankings "Global Scores & Rankings -Open Government Around the World"

-Global ranking on corruption and justice aims to promote good governance
"Global ranking on corruption and justice aims to promote good governance- World Justice Project surveys rule of law and perceptions of corruption in 102 countries, and says governance issues must be measured to boost development" Note: Below table copied/cited from above listed article-

"Rule of law around the world: Scores and rankings"
Country Score Global Ranking
Denmark0.871
Norway0.872
Sweden0.853
Finland0.854
Netherlands0.835
New Zealand0.836
Austria0.827
Germany0.818
Singapore0.819
Australia0.810
Republic of Korea0.7911
United Kingdom0.7812
Japan0.7813
Canada0.7814
Estonia0.7715
Belgium0.7716
Hong Kong SAR, China0.7617
France0.7418
United States0.7319
Czech Republic0.7220
Poland0.7121
Uruguay0.7122
Portugal0.7023
Spain0.6824
Costa Rica0.6825
Chile0.6826
United Arab Emirates0.6727
Slovenia0.6628
Georgia0.6529
Italy0.6430
Botswana0.6431
Romania0.6232
Greece0.6033
Ghana0.6034
Croatia0.6035
South Africa0.5836
Hungary0.5837
Senegal0.5738
Malaysia0.5739
Bosnia and Herzegovina0.5740
Jordan0.5641
Jamaica0.5642
Tunisia0.5643
Macedonia, FYR0.5544
Bulgaria0.5545
Brazil0.5446
Mongolia0.5347
Nepal0.5348
Panama0.5349
Belarus0.5350
Philippines0.5351
Indonesia0.5252
Albania0.5253
Argentina0.5254
Morocco0.5255
Thailand0.5256
El Salvador0.5157
Sri Lanka0.5158
India0.5159
Serbia0.560
Malawi0.561
Colombia0.562
Peru0.563
Vietnam0.564
Kazakhstan0.565
Belize0.4966
Dominican Republic0.4867
Lebanon0.4868
Moldova0.4869
Ukraine0.4870
China0.4871
Tanzania0.4772
Zambia0.4773
Kyrgyzstan0.4774
Russia0.4775
Cote d'Ivoire0.4776
Ecuador0.4777
Burkina Faso0.4778
Mexico0.4779
Turkey0.4680
Uzbekistan0.4681
Madagascar0.4582
Liberia0.4583
Kenya0.4584
Guatemala0.4485
Egypt0.4486
Sierra Leone0.4487
Iran0.4388
Nicaragua0.4389
Honduras0.4290
Ethiopia0.4291
Myanmar0.4292
Bangladesh0.4293
Bolivia0.4194
Uganda0.4195
Nigeria0.4196
Cameroon0.497
Pakistan0.3898
Cambodia0.3799
Zimbabwe0.37100
Afghanistan0.35101
Venezuela0.32102
SOURCE: WORLD JUSTICE PROJECT
GET THE DATA EMBED
The Guardian

pixel.gif

GSFowler/ChaplainCharlie/Oddpedestrian...... ALL, hope the above web-sites, as examples only, help just one disabled veteran of all US conflicts considering relocating within US-US Territories- or abroad......

(PS: still issues this website....)

Last edited:
I live in West Virginia (Eastern Panhandle - Martinsburg area) and there's a VA hospital right here in the panhandle. Also, we have the MARC train (New Brunswick line) that goes from Martinsburg to Union Station in DC. For veterans who are interested in midwest home prices, but want to access the job opportunities of the DMV (DC, Maryland, Virginia) area, including our massive DoD and federal government presence would be well served to consider West Virginia as a potential homestead.

Now, the caveats are longer commute times (I average 1 hr, 50 min when driving), but it is ~ 97% highway, so it's not bad (other than rush hour traffic). People who live ~ 25 miles from DC marvel at my commuting distance, but I remind them that my travel doesn't consist of stop lights, continual stop and go traffic, and the fact it doesn't take me 1 hour to drive ~ 25 miles. If I get tired of commuting, I can just opt to ride the train (which is managed by Amtrak) and enjoy the metro cost subsidy that government workers get in the DMC. I travel I-81 to I-70, to I-270 to get to DC, so it's a great time to listen to podcasts.

Also, the nearest MTF is Ft. Detrick (Fredrick, MD), which has IMO, the BEST group of doctors and basic services. If I need specialty services, I drive further to Walter Reed in Bethesda, MD and get everything else done there.

Lastly, West Virginia does have veteran benefits, including reduced property tax for 100% T&P, hunting/fishing licenses, state parks, etc.,. It's nowhere as robust as Texas, but IMO, it's the best deal cost-wise for veterans who want to be close to DC. West Virginia Veteran State Benefits Link. Also, it should be noted that West Virginia, California and Mississippi are the only states that do not allow ANY personal/religious exemptions for childhood vaccinations, making us a bit safer for veterans who are worried about issues like the recent measles outbreak in Washington State U.S. States and current vaccination exemptions link.

Disclaimer I am still AD, and still in the IDES process, but due to several medical issues, am granted liberal telework privileges. However, I spent a year doing the commute/metro, and feel that this part of West Virginia is an excellent place to domicile. I am close enough to civilization to get everything I need, but far enough away to not feel like everyone lives on top one another.

legalbeagle- very interesting about West Virginia....

Also, the nearest MTF is Ft. Detrick (Fredrick, MD), which has IMO, the BEST group of doctors and basic services. If I need specialty services, I drive further to Walter Reed in Bethesda, MD and get everything else done there.

Lastly, West Virginia does have veteran benefits, including reduced property tax for 100% T&P, hunting/fishing licenses, state parks, etc.,. It's nowhere as robust as Texas, but IMO, it's the best deal cost-wise for veterans who want to be close to DC. West Virginia Veteran State Benefits Link. Also, it should be noted that West Virginia, California and Mississippi are the only states that do not allow ANY personal/religious exemptions for childhood vaccinations, making us a bit safer for veterans who are worried about issues like the recent measles outbreak in Washington State U.S. States and current vaccination exemptions link.

Know some local vet's used to laugh about Fort Detrick....as is in quite a few "science fiction" novels..etc....for what supposedly all goes on there.....

Are state parks, and state of West Virginia managed facilities, like fishing areas, free for all veterans or just 100% Disabled....???? If so that is fantastic......

IAW some veterans in Lower Alabama, the State of Alabama, cannot afford to make State Parks, and things like prized Gulf State Fishing Pier- longest on Gulf Coast supposedly- free for disabled veterans (even 100%) although free for Law Enforcement and First Responders, supposedly..... ?????

Anyway interesting on West Virginia..... Fort Detrick, Walter Reed etc..... as well what West Virginia doe for veterans.....

(PS: If interested might want to check out, for example only in web-address: Forbidden Bookshelf (27 Book Series) "Forbidden Bookshelf (27 Book Series)" as quite interesting, in particular for those in South Eastern Region.... "Du Pont Dynasty: Behind the Nylon Curtain (Forbidden Bookshelf Book 6) (Sep 16, 2014)"by Gerard Colby- lot of interesting information on whole host of topics and issues....some of which might be valid today.....???????? )

Thanks legalbeagle, quite a lot look into....

legalbeagle - just at a glance, as many in US Military learned to do it- Snow Skiing- are any of the Snow Ski resorts in West Virginia disabled veteran friendly????

See, for example only web-address: West Virginia Ski Resorts | OnTheSnow

Odd, and do not think many people realize this, but Northern Alabama has a Snow Ski Resort as well- see for example only, web-address: Cloudmont Ski and Golf Resort - Home and Snow Skiing in Alabama - Review of Cloudmont Ski Resort, Mentone, AL - TripAdvisor

But this does not receive as much attention as other areas of the state Alabama for some reason such as the more than "coveted" Eastern Shore area of Southern Alabama, Dauphin Island, and Ono Island areas of Lower Alabama......

Wonder if any vet's have in fact tried to ski Cloudmont AL.... and if disabled veteran friendly....?????

Once again thanks legalbeagle...... hopefully can clarify some on outdoor activities disabled vets West Virginia....???

(PS still issue this web-site..)

Status
Not open for further replies.