Bicuspid valve and 4.4cm aortic aneurysm

Status
Not open for further replies.

bumticker

Registered Member
Hi, new to the site as a member- need some advice.

Im far along the process. I have a 4.4cm aortic aneurysm and BAV, MEB says disqualifying. PEB just cam back and said fit for duty (Im a physician so they spent a lot of money on me I guess, plus I can do my daily job as a doc). I have physical limitations and chest pain form this thing. the MEB states no deployment, not physical fitness test, no heavy lifting, etc. NONE of this is in the PEB paperwork. I want to be sure that if Im fit to stay in the service the limitations above are clear- probably on a permanent profile. Ho do I make sure that happens?

In the Navy you would be placed on Permanent Limited Duty and assigned a pseudo AQD/NEC indicating your inability to deploy.

I had heart surgery in May for what doctors thought was a bicuspid valve. Turns out the leaflets were just becoming incompetent and the valve was actually tricuspid. The only advice I can offer you if you have surgery is to walk. The more you walk post-surgery, the better you will feel. Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
I am navy. I had read that about medical and flag officers and I get that. I’m not surprised that they found me fit- I mostly don’t want them telling me to deploy or something when that can make my aorta worse. The meb is very clear on those restrictions but the peb didn’t say anything about it!

Thanks for the advice and I hope your recovery is going well now.

Bunticker, i would pay out of pocket for a second opinion...that opinion should come from a highly qualified expert. Not sure where you are stationed or if you can buy time to do this but, it would be in your best interest. Regarding profiles, the services can place in writing limited duty & restrictions but the problem with that is...the Command not adhering to those restrictions and placing you at risk. Reach out to the PEB attny and request time for an expert 2nd opinion....

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out. The DoD policy on deployability suggests to me that you should have been found unfit.

@bumticker

"Every command, Personnel Support
Activity Detachment (PERSUPP DET) or personnel office, and MTF
servicing a LIMDU population is required to appoint, in writing,
a single point of contact (POC) to act as the command
LIMDU coordinator. Close liaison between parent command, PERSUPP DET,
and medical LIMDU coordinators is critical to ensure accurate
accounting, tracking, medical treatment, and expeditious

-
CH
-
9, 5 Nov 2004
Page
of 11
movement of LIMDU personnel through the transient pipeline.
LIMDU coordinators shall not be in a TLD status."

Have you contacted your LIMDU coordinator?

Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum. I've got a thoracic aortic aneurysm at 4.5 on the CT, 4.7 on the echo. I guess I'm starting the MEB process. Any idea if this is generally considered disqualifying? The cardilogists think I shouldn't deploy. I'm a mobility pilot, so I generally am expected to go to lots of not so nice places as part of my job.

Moose

Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum. I've got a thoracic aortic aneurysm at 4.5 on the CT, 4.7 on the echo. I guess I'm starting the MEB process. Any idea if this is generally considered disqualifying? The cardilogists think I shouldn't deploy. I'm a mobility pilot, so I generally am expected to go to lots of not so nice places as part of my job.

Moose

Moose,

Please start your own thread about your issues.

It would be helpful if you supplied some additional information, such as your branch of service, your profiles/duty limitations, and your goals.

Things have gotten interesting. I hav endow been asked 3 times to take duties that do. It match my medical needs- a PCs to a remote base, a deployable spot and now a ‘tdy’ for 90 days to the Middle East. It feels like they are looking for a loophole to send me away. The detailed says my file shows me as fit and there are no limitations- so I guess the medical limitations never got put in.

Chest pain is worse. I think I may just go for a second med board for chest pain (first one said aneurysm and valve) and see if the new policy really is in effect. Last one signed in October and the dod instruction was also in October. I personally think I need to be medically retired.

Thoughts?

Any updates to this? I have a similar situation.
You are best suited to start your own thread. The general question of whether there are any updates to a thread that started in 2018 is unlikely to garner any meaningful answers. When (or if) you do start your own thread, it would be helpful to spell out what is similar. Is it the condition that is similar? The fit finding? That you are a physician?

It's hard to provide much help without knowing a lot more about what your specific questions are and what are your circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.