Bipolar II, active duty 3 years from retirement... to enter into medical record or not?

skyvstorm

Registered Member
Hello all,

After much research and an overwhelming amount of information from this board itself (and thank you!), I've come to the realization that I cannot find specifically what I am looking for and am in need of reaching out for help. Any assistance is appreciated.

I am seeing a behavioral health doc for some 'issues' and have been found to have/diagnosed with Bipolar II. The doc has recommended some medications that I cannot recall at the moment, but I have them written down at home. The doc is career Army, and is not familiar with Navy regulations. As such, I've searched and read and even reached out in confidence to some medical-service friends and I'm still empty handed.

As of now, my record does NOT state that I have Bipolar II. The doc is worried that I am just three years from retirement and doesn't want to trigger a Med Board, because it would screw with my 20 and done, and then as I understand it, the CRDP. Thing is, is that the doc wants it in the record as it's a very real diagnosis which I do not disagree with, however, I manage just fine most days and have likely been having this problem for quite some time.

The doc states that I should be on medication, which I am not averse to, but as I said before, worried about triggering a med board. As of now, my medical record states the following:

*Adjustment disorder with mixed anxiety and depressed mood
and
*Unspecified mood [affective] disorder

Is there any Navy-specific guidance anywhere regarding the BP2 being entered into the medical record of an active duty member with three years from retirement, has a clearance, wish to retire @ 20 and just go about my day? I do not want to medically retire, but I don't know much about that realm of things. Is there one that is more advantageous than the other? I'm not trying to milk anything - I want to do my time and be afforded what I deserve, along with some likely disability aside from what I'm writing about here.

I feel that this is already too long. Thanks for any advice/help/time offered in advance.

Sky

That's because some service members camp out at the aid station or BH all the time or get profiles or meds that trigger a MEB. Its already in your records I let it be and see BH once every 90 days NO LESS than 60 tops. Once you drop your retirement packet I would pick up the pace with all your medical treatment including BH so that your records will be complete for filing VA claims. At six months out enroll in this program https://benefits.va.gov/predischarge/claims-pre-discharge-benefits-delivery-at-discharge.asp.

[COLOR=rgb(0, 168, 133)]skyvstorm[/COLOR]- hello, IMO- couple things as sadly and no offense, I tend to take "exception" here- and will get to that:

1st: Are you a Navy "combat" Vet of Afghanistan/Iraq, etc...... as symptoms of Bi-polar can mimic Depression, and simply, if "combat" veteran would not accept a Bi-polar diagnosis for whole host of reasons-IMO......

2nd: While I "sympathize" not only your plight of 17-years active,but others similar situations, I am not so sure you are getting correct advice from your cited US Army psychiatrist (as per above)- even thought seems assisting you (?) to gt over the 18-year mark, etc...... _pretty much lock-in point- retirement....... as eventually will make things much more difficult down the road especially if NOT Bi-polar and even if Bi-Polar.....

This is were my "exception" comes in: I know US Army "vet" was similar situation- whom as well wanted to simply retire, requested "COAD," and was in fact denied everything and per countless other's, did not receive "ratings- assistance and many other things" early on in their "drama" caused by MEDEVAC "combat"..... via. US Army/US DVA..etc.... and is still simply having "more" issues than one should experience in this life as well as another......... Alas, prior MEDEVAC this "vet" had no clue about TDRL, MED retirement etc.....and simply at this point supposedly wishes "never" did.... US DVA-Gulf Coast VA/VISN16 in particular..... and hopes no other VET such as you experiences same...

But, all being said, if Bi-polar, and in "leadership" role...should "one" such as yourself continue marching on... even 3-years from "EXODUS"....????????? (Can see wrestling this...perhaps... thus Number-3 Recommendation below??)

To that end I agree with [COLOR=rgb(0, 168, 133)]oddpedestrian[/COLOR] comments above in post# 2 "service members camp out at the aid station or BH all the time or get profiles or meds that trigger a MEB"

Used to be NCO's- i.e. PLT/Section Sergeants "screed" soldiers prior going sick call, and Officer's had to be well beyond "obviously" "ill/injured" go on "sick call" and no-soldier "camped out" at MED Bay... or if did "faced" severe consequences COC, etc......

3rd: This also, enters "ethical" realm which it is easy to "discern" you are more than perhaps "struggling" with and my advice would be to "Consult" a "Private Attorney" MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE AT THIS POINT- IMMEDIATELY- THAT SPECIALIZES IN THESE MATTERS, such as the founder of this web-site or another... but I would not wait to do this, IMO- please do so IMMEDIATELY.....................

As to Bi-Polar, there has been discussion, and could be wrong, that as with "personality disorder" US DVA, etc.. might perhaps not "Service-Connect" this condition- amongst others .... per US DVA Personnel themselves.... ergo would recommend in addition contacting ATTORNEY start researching US DVA and your "medical-conditions" now... sucha s with "google" search words- "bipolar disorder in veterans" at web-address: https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...KHaIrB3MQ1QIImwEoBg&biw=1536&bih=759&dpr=1.25 accessed 23 AUG 2018 appx. 0502 AM EDT FOR EXAMPLE

Hope this helps.....

ANYONE ELSE HAVING ISSUES THIS WEB_SITE- ETC......????????

[COLOR=rgb(0, 168, 133)]skyvstorm[/COLOR]- hello, IMO- couple things as sadly and no offense, I tend to take "exception" here- and will get to that:

1st: Are you a Navy "combat" Vet of Afghanistan/Iraq, etc...... as symptoms of Bi-polar can mimic Depression, and simply, if "combat" veteran would not accept a Bi-polar diagnosis for whole host of reasons-IMO......

2nd: While I "sympathize" not only your plight of 17-years active,but others similar situations, I am not so sure you are getting correct advice from your cited US Army psychiatrist (as per above)- even thought seems assisting you (?) to gt over the 18-year mark, etc...... _pretty much lock-in point- retirement....... as eventually will make things much more difficult down the road especially if NOT Bi-polar and even if Bi-Polar.....

This is were my "exception" comes in: I know US Army "vet" was similar situation- whom as well wanted to simply retire, requested "COAD," and was in fact denied everything and per countless other's, did not receive "ratings- assistance and many other things" early on in their "drama" caused by MEDEVAC "combat"..... via. US Army/US DVA..etc.... and is still simply having "more" issues than one should experience in this life as well as another......... Alas, prior MEDEVAC this "vet" had no clue about TDRL, MED retirement etc.....and simply at this point supposedly wishes "never" did.... US DVA-Gulf Coast VA/VISN16 in particular..... and hopes no other VET such as you experiences same...

But, all being said, if Bi-polar, and in "leadership" role...should "one" such as yourself continue marching on... even 3-years from "EXODUS"....????????? (Can see wrestling this...perhaps... thus Number-3 Recommendation below??)

To that end I agree with [COLOR=rgb(0, 168, 133)]oddpedestrian[/COLOR] comments above in post# 2 "service members camp out at the aid station or BH all the time or get profiles or meds that trigger a MEB"

Used to be NCO's- i.e. PLT/Section Sergeants "screed" soldiers prior going sick call, and Officer's had to be well beyond "obviously" "ill/injured" go on "sick call" and no-soldier "camped out" at MED Bay... or if did "faced" severe consequences COC, etc......

3rd: This also, enters "ethical" realm which it is easy to "discern" you are more than perhaps "struggling" with and my advice would be to "Consult" a "Private Attorney" MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE AT THIS POINT- IMMEDIATELY- THAT SPECIALIZES IN THESE MATTERS, such as the founder of this web-site or another... but I would not wait to do this, IMO- please do so IMMEDIATELY.....................

As to Bi-Polar v. Depression PTSD: there has been discussion, and could be wrong, that as with "personality disorder" US DVA, etc.. might perhaps not "Service-Connect" this condition- amongst others .... per US DVA Personnel themselves.... ergo would recommend in addition contacting ATTORNEY start researching US DVA and your "medical-conditions" now... sucha s with "google" search words- "bipolar disorder in veterans" at web-address: https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...KHaIrB3MQ1QIImwEoBg&biw=1536&bih=759&dpr=1.25 accessed 23 AUG 2018 appx. 0502 AM EDT FOR EXAMPLE

Hope this helps.....

ANYONE ELSE HAVING ISSUES THIS WEB_SITE- ETC......????????

The bipolar meds make you undeployable. Its a real risk to your career.

See the link from ChaplainCharlie above.

The bipolar meds make you undeployable. Its a real risk to your career.

See the link from ChaplainCharlie above.

skyvstorm- I could not open link as stated by Chaps_Z- however this issue goes well beyond your Navy Career. At some point you will in fact be a civilian, and irrespective of the fact, you have 17-years AD etc... one cannot simply count on the US Navy and/or any Service MED/PEB and/or the US DVA to simply do the right thing.....Simply Alll one has to do is read post's this web-site to discern that fact!

Bottom-line, what is more important is that your "conditions" are in fact "correctly" diagnosed as in fact your treatment after the Navy- i.e. the rest of your life will be largely dependent on that. Psychotropic medications, in and of themselves, are nothing to play with and can in fact cause as much harm as good, in particular if in "civil" or US DVA situation "forced" to take them for a condition you may not actually have or is confused by "multiple-diagnosis's....."

Ergo, my question if a Navy "combat" veteran, and perhaps "bipolar" is being mistaken, as more often, sadly, than not for PTSD/Depression..... something if you are a "combat vet" and issues started after "combat" may want to get a second or third opinion on......perhaps??????

There is a lot of literature out there available on the whole Bi-polar v. PTSD-Depression issue.... may want to look into.... if for no other reason, than "test" what I am saying, and as "material" to ask your MH providers questions from.....(Can look NIH, etc....and I believe other posts this web-site)???????

Once again, I would highly encourage you to "consider" given what Chap_Z and others have stated....to Consult" a "Private Attorney" MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE AT THIS POINT- IMMEDIATELY- THAT SPECIALIZES IN THESE MATTERS, such as this web-sites, founder........

skyvstorm- hope this helps and wish you best of luck......