Blow off TDRL?

betur6

PEB Forum Regular Member
Has anyone considered simply ignoring the TDRL process once found 50-100% by the VA? It appears the IDES system is not working as intended as the DoD does not want to accept medical paperwork or opinions from the VA. In my case I am not receiving CRSC (yet) or CRDP so the $ I currently receive is all tax free VA $. Only other item I saw worth consideration to obtaining retirement status was Tricare for the family, but it looks like the affordable health care act would be about the same for my 3 family members anyway. Any thoughts?

Frank4747

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I agree with you betur6, I hear tricare will eventually go up as well with all the obama care fiasco going on. I actually prefer getting the severance now as the tricare won't be much of a benefit anymore.

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Not receiving CRSC yet? That seems to suggest you will apply or get it in the future. If you blow off TDRL re-eval, you stand to potentially lose retirement- and therefore any CRSC.

I don't see a benefit to blowing it off. I see potential loss of benefits by doing so. Though, in some cases, it really will not matter in the final analysis. So, seems to me, you may lose out by blowing off TDRL re-examination. You may or may not gain anything by participating.

maronedp

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Tricare premiums are capped for medical retirees. When you add commissary, px, space A, gym etc., medical retirement is always going to be a far better deal.

betur6

PEB Forum Regular Member
Jason,
Yes, by "Yet", I mean I am still in the CRSC request process. The hurdles in providing paperwork etc. have been painful (literally) to gather and present.
Maronedp: I was found 100% by the VA so all of those items you listed are already accessible.

ranger2992

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Jason,
Yes, by "Yet", I mean I am still in the CRSC request process. The hurdles in providing paperwork etc. have been painful (literally) to gather and present.
Maronedp: I was found 100% by the VA so all of those items you listed are already accessible.

Based on what you say, you are ignoring a potential benefit that could be substantial. Even if you are only awarded 50% CRSC, that would be a table amount of around $900 that you could you against the TDRL money you are losing. I don't know too many people that would throw a mortgage, or high value car payment away over a TDRL exam. Makes no sense, but each to their own.

betur6

PEB Forum Regular Member
Ranger,
I am not "ignoring" any benefit, just facing a reality that CRSC is neither guaranteed nor promised to everyone regardless of how entitled we deem ourselves to it. Without the proper "paper trail", In my case, Buddy statements, NAVFLIRS and pinpoint of location be damned. Trust me bud, I would love to use CRSC to cover one of my two mortgages.

ranger2992

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Ranger,
I am not "ignoring" any benefit, just facing a reality that CRSC is neither guaranteed nor promised to everyone regardless of how entitled we deem ourselves to it. Without the proper "paper trail", In my case, Buddy statements, NAVFLIRS and pinpoint of location be damned. Trust me bud, I would love to use CRSC to cover one of my two mortgages.

I go back to your first post, and stand by my comment that you are ignoring the potential benefit.

"Only other item I saw worth consideration to obtaining retirement status was Tricare for the family, but it looks like the affordable health care act would be about the same for my 3 family members anyway."

Going on that, I did not see anything about the CRSC benefit amount. You said in another post (above) that you are in process, but haven't received a decision yet. Again, going back to your original question, you stand to lose a large benefit by not going to a TDRL exam. Your assumption about tricare is not exactly on target either. I doubt even with subsidies you will come close to tricare prime. Less than $60 per month, and pretty comprehensive benefits. Then take tricare standard which is free, and is an 80/20 copay, with a $3000 dollar cap for your while family. Even the premium plans on ACA don't give you anything close to prime. Also consider to keep the ACA subsidies, you will have to live on VA alone, or a low paying complimentary job because the subsidies go away after your income gets above the threshold for your state.

Lastly, add in PX (tax free), commissary (subsidized) and post privileges like gym, discount child care, travel (space A) and you are throwing a lot away to skip an exam. It's your life, but it does equal more than you think. CRSC may or may not be approved, but what do you have to lose playing it out and seeing what happens?

Warrior644

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Ranger,

I go back to your first post, and stand by my comment that you are ignoring the potential benefit.

"Only other item I saw worth consideration to obtaining retirement status was Tricare for the family, but it looks like the affordable health care act would be about the same for my 3 family members anyway."

Going on that, I did not see anything about the CRSC benefit amount. You said in another post (above) that you are in process, but haven't received a decision yet. Again, going back to your original question, you stand to lose a large benefit by not going to a TDRL exam. Your assumption about tricare is not exactly on target either. I doubt even with subsidies you will come close to tricare prime. Less than $60 per month, and pretty comprehensive benefits. Then take tricare standard which is free, and is an 80/20 copay, with a $3000 dollar cap for your while family. Even the premium plans on ACA don't give you anything close to prime. Also consider to keep the ACA subsidies, you will have to live on VA alone, or a low paying complimentary job because the subsidies go away after your income gets above the threshold for your state.

Lastly, add in PX (tax free), commissary (subsidized) and post privileges like gym, discount child care, travel (space A) and you are throwing a lot away to skip an exam. It's your life, but it does equal more than you think. CRSC may or may not be approved, but what do you have to lose playing it out and seeing what happens?

Indeed, I concur with ranger2992's very sound and insightful feedback; he's well experienced and just trying to lend assistance.

Ultimately, the decisions are yours to make naturally (e.g., forego the TDRL exam, non submittal of a CRSC application, etc) albeit if you never "put forth any effort" then most definitely you shall never "receive any follow-on benefit!"

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

jeffb

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Yeah just do your TDRL exam. because eventually they will determine you fit or unfit . Youll most likely get PDRL so even if you VA benefits stop in the future you will get your retirement . Also go to the VA or a Naval Hospital . Tricare covers those fees 100 percent . atleast thats what im told .

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">