Body Composition fail

chapo

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Can the Army initiate a Chapter 18 for passing APFT but failing the body composition when the soldier has a behavioral health profile and is in the MEB process for PTSD? Also, when is the soldier considered officially in the MEB process?

Can the Army initiate a Chapter 18 for passing APFT but failing the body composition when the soldier has a behavioral health profile and is in the MEB process for PTSD? Also, when is the soldier considered officially in the MEB process?

Short answer is no they can't chapter just for that.

When you fall below BW standards, they are required to enroll you in the the Army Weight Control Program (AWCP). This involves a medical examination, counselings, and time to make progress towards passing. AR 600-9 is what you want to read. They can and are required to flag you, but can't just throw you to the wolves.

If they somehow did get the chapter started, it would run parallel to the MEB, and would not happen until the MEB was complete. Then the separation authority for your post would decide which one is warranted. There would have to be very compelling facts for his to choose ch 18.

Now you are a big part of this process and your attitude has a lot to do with things. You need to make the effort, show up for special populations PT and do what you can. Remain positive, and show them you are doing your best. The worst possible approach is to throw it out there as "I am on medication and it makes me get fat" That is a somewhat true statement, but you can control it by controlling what you eat and doing extra exercise. The soldiers who get hammered are the ones who get a profile for everything, gain 50 lbs and thumb their nose at their command. That info does get presented to the discharge authority, and can hurt you.

Have you failed the BF more than this one time? If you did with-in the last 6 months, they yes they can initiate the chapter.

Have you failed the BF more than this one time? If you did with-in the last 6 months, they yes they can initiate the chapter.

Only if he was enrolled in the AWCP and came off the program. The chapter would also run concurrent to the MEB, and would not override it

Thanks all. I haven't been doing special pops PT, due to hernias that will need to be operated but absolutely plan on attending once I am GTG. At work I try to do my best, but my mind limits me a lot!!

Thanks all. I haven't been doing special pops PT, due to hernias that will need to be operated but absolutely plan on attending once I am GTG. At work I try to do my best, but my mind limits me a lot!!
Keep up with it the best you can, have you gone to see a dietitian yet?

Only if he was enrolled in the AWCP and came off the program. The chapter would also run concurrent to the MEB, and would not override it
I know that is why I was asking! :p

Yup. Saw the dietician. Also noticed the flag on my ERB disappeared. I wonder if the PSYC Profile I got overrides this and the system removed it or my PA did not authorize my enrollment into the Body Composition program!

Yup. Saw the dietician. Also noticed the flag on my ERB disappeared. I wonder if the PSYC Profile I got overrides this and the system removed it or my PA did not authorize my enrollment into the Body Composition program!
A Behavioral profile will not override anything on the physical side. They may have made a mistake and the flag disappeared. I would stay with the program if I were you and keep going like you don't know it is gone, they will figure out that your flag dropped next week when they have to do the reports.