AttitudeEra

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
When did you receive your very first book stipend? It seems like I won't get mine until summer semester is all but over.
Is it $1000 upfront, or do they spread it out during the school year?
Also did you get your first BAH payment 30 days after your first semester (on time), or did it take longer?

(I'm asking for your personal experiences only...I know the regs and "supposed to" timelines)

So, I use Voc Rehab atm, and I'm not sure the BAH payments differ. But, I get my BAH for the previous month on the first, along with my disability.

If you are doing 16 week semesters, you can expect 4 payouts with the first payout coming at the end of the first month.

From what I gather, as long as you aren't registering in classes at the last minute (3 weeks out AT LEAST is a safe bet), then it is rare to not get the BAH after the first month of the semester.

About the books,

I only used GI Bill for one semester (then switched to Voc Rehab which I would recommend if you are disabled) and I only got $500 of it. So, that leads me to assume that I would have gotten the rest during the last semester of the year. Which blows because that is not enough money for Computer Science/Engineering/Math textbooks.

Last edited:
How much is BAH on vocational? I didn't even know you get BAH for that.

How much is BAH on vocational? I didn't even know you get BAH for that.

I'm not currently aware of a difference between the two. Voc Rehab bases it's BAH on your location and whether you are full or part-time.

If you are eligible for it, you should switch to it. 48 months of coverage, books 100% paid for, get a stipend for supplies each semester and a free laptop. Also equipment for school like calculators for advanced maths are also reimbursed. Plus you can use your GI Bill after because it doesn't deplete it.

It is a legit program.