C&P exam says depression is service connected but VA award does not

jackjones

Registered Member
Hello, I read my C&P exam today it says "Depression is due to another medical condition (my shoulder issue that is service connected). It is at least likely as not that the veterans condition occurred in or is a result of an in service medical condition."

On my award letter online it does not include the depression and eBenefits disability page is says "not service connected".

Can the VA deny service connection although C&P exam is in favor of SC? Would I have to wait to appeal this after I get out and would you think there is any chance of it being approved?

Shoulder issue is my referred condition and depression is one I claimed.

Thanks,
Jones

Hello, I read my C&P exam today it says "Depression is due to another medical condition (my shoulder issue that is service connected). It is at least likely as not that the veterans condition occurred in or is a result of an in service medical condition."

On my award letter online it does not include the depression and eBenefits disability page is says "not service connected".

Can the VA deny service connection although C&P exam is in favor of SC? Would I have to wait to appeal this after I get out and would you think there is any chance of it being approved?

Shoulder issue is my referred condition and depression is one I claimed.

Thanks,
Jones

Are you still active?

This makes no rational sense. Obviously, if they found that you have a diagnosed medical condition (depression) secondary to a now established service-connected disability (your shoulder), I would think it must be presumed to be service-connected also and/or aggravated by service as well. But what do we know, right?

I would promptly get the medical opinion of a PCP, and make sure your medical opinion states that the depression is more likely than not secondary, and also service-connected.

Do you have medical treatment records regarding depression from your time in service?

@jackjones

Either message me the C&P exam or you can post it here and redact identify information, remember that claims are a legal decision made by RSVR's and senior level adjudicators, not doctors or exams. I like the read the exams thoroughly though usually something important was missing or misunderstood, nonetheless, it will probably be explained in your denial letter as well. If it is a mistake a supplemental claim filed with a year of the decision letter will work to fix it.