"can do" TDRL exam

Jonnysig

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Coming up on 12 months TDRL. Wanted to be proactive so I called my case manager and double checked my address and phone number on file. Had some light discussion about the TDRL process. She mentioned I would have the option to go on base for my TDRL or have my own civilian PCM provider do my exam!?!?! I was taken back by this. I asked to hear the details again, and again she explained the same. She called it TDRL can do exam. I asked for a brochure or futher info and as I expected there is nothing but a Sgts explanation over the phone (which is fine) and that leads me back here. Anyone heard of this? Anyone exercised this option before? Seems to good to be true in my eyes.

I've never heard of it, but all they need is an exam, there is no real requirements on who does it. There is some arguments that it should be conducted by a VA provider that normally does C&P exams, but that hasn't been really tested so they often will just have a military doc do it. If they don't like it, probably use the excuse it didn't provide enough detail, they can order another exam. I would be hesitant on having a civilian PCM do the exam. They have a tendency to twist the exam results around like a pretzel, so someone used to the wording needed for a disability exam to keep the issue clear is good. I'd try to get a VA C&P, but it can really depend, these exams are important in ways completely out of proportion to what they are. I'd certainly bring in the DBQ worksheet to ensure the right details are captured at a minimum.

The AF sent me a packet last summer and it included a "Can Do" option for my TDRL Evaluation. I signed the letter stating that I wil opt for the Can Do Examination. In the packet was the instructions for for my treating physician to follow. Physician typed up my 5 page eval according to the instructions and sent that along with my treatment notes since being placed on TDRL.
I was also scheduled for an evaluation by the VA and completed my PTSD evaluation. I sent a copy of my appointment letter from the VA for the PTSD eval along with the physician's notes. I was advised by my AF Wounded Warrior rep that the notes from VA Eval will be available to the TDRL office.
Saw no military Docs for my TDRL evaluation.
Placed on PDRL in Jan 2015