Can I be promoted if I am medically retiring?

Hi Tony, The promotion list that you recieved was it the published list?

Hey guys, I have a similar situation.So I got my DA FORM 199 for 50% Perm. I just signed it concur. So I’m assuming in about a Month I’ll get discharged orders/etc. I’m a E6 with almost 16 years in. About 5 was on Active Duty and now serving in the Guard. I just on the same day received selection notice for E7. I need to either accept it or decline it, but Either way without the school I’m not getting the promotion just the SSG(P). I’m not sure if this matters or helps in anyway when I get my final medical retirement? Thanks

I wish i could offer guidance but i cannot, i hope someone jumps in...officer and enlisted promotions seem to differ regarding the promotion process..wishing u the best!

To all,

There is a lot of great information coming out of this thread. I am currently going through the MEB, and I would like to (hopefully) get a jump on some of the issues...especially the promotion piece. As I said, I am currently going through the MEB and last I heard my NARSUM was drafted. I am an Air National Guardsman, with just over 26-years (enlisted and officer). I have been going through my MEB since August 2017, and have been promotable (to MAJ) since January 2018. I found out my promotion package went before the board but it was put on hold until my MEB is resolved and an Assignment Limitation Code (ALC) assigned. This is frustrating as my PEBLO and Active Duty Medical Staff informed me, going into this, I could still be promoted while going through the MEB, because the MEB generally takes a year or more to resolve. Unfortunately, I didn't request the guidance they were using to provide such a statement. So, here I am talking about a conversation from over a year ago. My question(s) is this. Can I still be boarded/promoted while going through the MEB? If so, can someone please provide me a good regulation I can use in establishing my case? It would be nice to establish TIG as a MAJ, while things continue to drag on.

Again, this forum has been very informative.

Thank you,

Jay

Hello JNM2002,

Re: “Promotable”

I know little about officer promotions; but, for my three senior NCO level promotions, I was not considered to be in a promotable status until my records had been reviewed by a DA board, selected for promotion, and placed on the promotion list with a sequence number.

You mentioned you were promotable since January 2018. Were you advised you were selected and given a sequence number or was your packet set aside without action?

Unless you were flagged for some reason, it seems a selectee would move forward on a promotion list. Just speculation on my part..
Added: See post 11, this thread, by Tony292.

Several members of this board are retired officers and might be able to provide clarification. They include @chaplaincharlie,
@tony292, @Warrior644, @Jason Perry

Good luck,
Ron

Hi Ron,
Thanks for your reply. Being a Guardsman, my position number permits me to be promoted up to O-4, as long as all my requirements (PME, TIG, TIS, etc) are satisfied, and leadership feels there is no reason not to promote. So basically, I submit my promotion package and the Wing conducts a "paper" board. Once they all agree the package looks good, they then route the package to State, then on to Fed Rec. Currently, the package is stuck at the "paper" board, and has been set aside without action. The problem is, there is no regulation that comes right out and states "airmen are promotable during the MEB process."

According to the regs:

ANGI 36-2504 FEDERAL RECOGNITION OF PROMOTION IN THE AIR NATIONAL GUARD (ANG) AND AS A RESERVE OF THE AIR FORCE BELOW THE GRADE OF GENERAL OFFICER
3.3. Eligibility Requirements.
Nominees’ for Federal recognition of a position vacancy promotion, who do not meet the requirements, will be returned to the State without action. The requirements are:
3.3.16. Nominees’ must be physically qualified for worldwide duty as determined by proper military medical authority and have a “Good Fit” score IAW ANGI 10-248, Air National Guard (ANG) Fitness Program. The State Air Surgeon may waive any 4T profile where competent military medical authority has determined the condition is self-limited, non-systemic, and should be resolved with the member being returned to worldwide duty status within one year (e.g., pregnancy).

Once the MEB/PEB process started, my "physically qualified for worldwide duty" code was stripped. The "paper" board can't determine if I am physically qualified for worldwide duty without a code...so the package has been set aside. BTW, I do have a "Good Fit" score with the fitness events in which I can participate.

AFI 36-2501 OFFICER PROMOTIONS AND SELECTIVE CONTINUATION
Attachment 2 PROMOTION ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
A2.5. Promotion Ineligibility.
Officers are not eligible for consideration by a selection board if they:
A2.5.4. Have been determined by the SECAF to be unfit to perform the duties of the office or grade because of physical disability.

Although I "may" be slightly biased. My thoughts are this: Until I have been found to be physically unfit...I should be considered physically fit and qualified for worldwide duty.

Again, any assistance, from a legal/officer/medical perspective is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Jay

Don't show it to the Peblo, show it to the retirement services peopleduring transpoc.
Can someone please elaborate on this more. As I understand it, this does not need to be addressed before the BCMR and only attempt to persuade the issue during retirement services portions?

You would be covered under number 3 above. Ask the retirement services person. They are the ones who promoted me when my name was on the list. I was promoted my last day of terminal leave.
I know this was an old post, but I’m going through the retirement process now and I don’t know if I was eligible for promotion, should I ask the transition officer about that?

Ocean,

Since you are out, you’ll have to file with the BCMR. If they do promote you, it will not really benefit you monetarily, it will simply give you the additional rank on retired ID card and possibly an amended dd215.

I was retired at MAJ, but never got real promotion orders, just my rank was MaJ on my retirement orders. My date of rank was my last day on active duty, so no effect on my high 3 calculation. I only wanted it just in case they ever recall me (highly doubtful) so if they do they would have to pay me as a major. That and the personal pride I Had knowing I had done the time and made the cut.

I didn’t get a new ID card for over a year, then went to National Guard ID card office and they looked me up in the system and the rank was updated to MAJ.
So you didn’t really submit anything for your promotion, they just calculated that and granted you the promotion automatically? Did I get that right!

So you didn’t really submit anything for your promotion, they just calculated that and granted you the promotion automatically? Did I get that right!
I suspect he had been selected for promotion as an officer and had a sequence number; the retirement accelerated the promotion.

Just a guess on my part.

cc: @tony292

Ron

Last edited:
should I speak to the transition officer about this before I receive my DD215?
So not sure about enlisted personnel but for officers there is a promotion list. My wife should be on one in the next month or 2 when the promotion board comes out since she is at the zone for major. If she gets on the promotion list she will be medically retired as a Major even if medically retired date is before her promotion date since she is on the promotion list. So its not if you are eligible for promotion but rather if you have been selected for promotion. If selected for promotion but not yet promoted during IDES they will give you the promotion right before you retire.

Team,
When I was Medboarded, I got promoted on my last day of active duty, but my DD214 does not reflect that that rank. Do I need to get my DD214 corrected for the right rank, especially if I am applying for GS jobs? Thanks in advance.

I did submit something to retirement services office at Ft Riley. What I submitted to them was a copy of the DA promotion list with my name on it. They then updated my retired rank to MAJ. I didn’t get separate promotion orders, I got retired orders with the rank of Major showing on the orders. That and something in the system that updated my rank in deers. A year after retiring I got a new ID card and i showed up in deers a major.

Yeah I just went through this as well ( I am guard) they gave me my original orders. Then after my retirement date did an amendment to the orders to reflect my new rank. I had to wait for all that to happen to get my new ID card. But I’m pretty happy with it. It was a nice bonus to leave out as an E6 rather then a E5. I’ve played the role long enough so it was pretty sweet.

Yeah I just went through this as well ( I am guard) they gave me my original orders. Then after my retirement date did an amendment to the orders to reflect my new rank. I had to wait for all that to happen to get my new ID card. But I’m pretty happy with it. It was a nice bonus to leave out as an E6 rather then a E5. I’ve played the role long enough so it was pretty sweet.
That is interesting; thank you for posting.

Good luck to you,
Ron

Last edited:
Hi Tony, The promotion list that you recieved was it the published list?
Yes, it was published officially by the Army, and available on the Army HRC website.

I know this thread has kind of concluded with the answers individuals were looking for, however I just wanted to give more of a rundown for future viewers on how the enlisted side is working at least for now as a guardsman.

obviously if you are flagged before the Med board you more then likely will not be promoted. So stay up to date on everything.

USC 10 1372 states that as long as a soldier is promotable and on an active list he/she can be promoted. Most of us fall into bullet point 3 of this which says
“permanent regular or reserve grade to which he would have been promoted had it not been for the physical disability for which he is retired and which was found to exist as a result of a physical examination.”

Of course there are things that could change this. If you are in a Med board and they start a new EPS and your not on it. Then a new list gets published while your in the medical board….you just hosed yourself. The list for the guard also publishes OCT 1 each year. So that is something to look at as well as far as timelines go.

lastly the medical board will promote you if you have been selected on the active list. However if you had to wait (like me) for the new list to come out which came out OCT 1.(my retirement date was OCT 2 then I had to wait until the day after retirement date for my JFHQ’s G1 department to make a amendment to my orders thereafter. Then the retirement services will reach out and tell you the new orders are ready.

I apologize for this long winded response. But there are too many ways for the enlisted/ guard side not to get this advancement if you don’t follow through.

good luck with everyone’s board.