Can I do anything about this?

Redbullspec

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello all, and thank you in advance for any advice or commentary sent my way. I am a 15 year retired soldier of the national guard, I am on the rolls of the IRR and will collect benefits when I reach 60. I was put out with non-duty related sleep apnea, when I had VA rated Coronary Artery Disease status post Myocardial Infarction with quadruple Coronary Artery Bypass Graft at 30%, Hypertension rated at 10%, and Acid Reflux (GERD) at 10%. I already had these ratings before my fit for duty physical. In my case file for the 15 year retirement, the doctor stated that I was unfit because of sleep apnea, but was fit for duty for the items I am service connected for. It took me a while to come back to this because I was busy trying to get back to a normal life. I was dual status and had lost both my Civilian and military positions, But now that I do look back on this I think I was robbed of a PEB and possibly PDRL. Thoughts?

I remember reading somewhere that it isn't necessarily difficult, but a process to get service connection for sleep apnea. I am still very new to the process and you might want to look around google for MEB sleep apnea. I'm sure another seasoned member might be able to chime in and give more information.

OSA is rarely found unfitting. Look in the resource section of this website. Each service has its own guidance as to what is unfitting.

OSA is rarely found unfitting. Look in the resource section of this website. Each service has its own guidance as to what is unfitting.
Thank you for your response, is there something specific I should look for, I left service in 2010 and I think there have been updates to all of the manuals concerning OSA?

Hello, thanks for your inquiry. C&p said I was only ratable to 10% because I am on meds, my Mets were between 7-10, and I have a 60% LVEF.
Copy that. I’m on meds too cozaar 50mg I just don’t understand the c&p wording

I'm not sure where you could find the guidance for 2010. I would certainly start with current guidance and refer to its effective date.