Can I start MEB process and get surgeries after seperation?

BAM1993

Registered Member
Hello,

Quick Background: Conditions: Right knee, Right Ankle, Left Shoulder. Right knee - I have had 4 surgeries, 2 ACL reconstructions, High Tibial Osteotomy, 2 PLC reconstructions, Full Meniscal Transplant. Current status of knee, ACL is torn again, Severe arthritis, Mensicus is a mess, very unstable w/ severe sublaxation. Left shoulder - 1 Surgery in 2015 to repair Labrum, Suprasprinatus, Bicep tendon. Current status of shoulde, torn labrum, atrophied to less than 50% supraspinatus muscle with tears, significant arthrosis of AC joint. Right Ankle - 0 surgeries (I have surgery scheduled 11 APR 19) Total rupture of anterior talofibular ligament, cicatrization of remaining lateral ligaments, tenosynovitis of peroneal tendons.

All of the current statuses have been confirmed by MRIs in the past few weeks with consultations with surgeons.

After discussing with the surgeons my question is am I required to get surgery on all of these injuries before starting a MEB board? Or can I fix my ankle, then start the MEB and get the shoulder and knee fixed after leaving service?

The surgeon advised me that the surgical process and recovery will be over 12 months to repair all of these injuries and then allow for proper recovery time. He also advised that surgery will most likely not help my right knee do to the amount of damage already done to the knee and the failed operations that I have already undergone.

I am on permanent profile right now to conduct PT at my own pace. I have been an Infantry PL for the past 9 months and recently reinjured my shoulder, knee, and ankle in January and continued to push through the aches to be with my guys but the instability has become to much and I would like to preserve what I have left for as long I can before a total knee replacement.

Thank you for your time. Thank you.

v/r,

Blake

Camp P Marine

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I would recommend anyone needing surgery while in the military, to get them while still in. I say this because the sick leave you get is without limit.
The time to earn enough sick leave while a civ takes literally years to accrue. If time permits, I'd recommend correcting the shoulder surgery while still in uniform. The economic impact is minimal while active duty. If a civ, you'd likely need to take time off from work, school, etc. which takes away from earnings uses up leave hours.

BAM1993

Registered Member
I would recommend anyone needing surgery while in the military to get them while still in. I say this because the sick leave you get is without limit.
The time to earn enough sick leave while a civ takes literally years to accrue. If time permits, I'd recommend correcting the shoulder surgery while still in uniform. The economic impact is minimal while active duty. If a civ, you'd likely need to take time off from work, school, etc. which takes away from earnings uses up leave hours.
Thank you for your response. This makes a lot of sense

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Getting a surgery may delay the process considerably. For example, e a surgery may require 3 months to heal completely. The C&P would not take place until the healing is done

McGurk

Registered Member
Hello ALCON,
I am on active duty, an RN, with a nonunion broken clavicle from 2010. 2016, I had surgery to fix this that ended in 4 surgeries, surgical infection such that required a wound VAC, PICC line for IV antibiotics and osteomyelitis. I recovered and was told not to try surgery again for at least 1 year. I have had chronic and worse pain since these complications and today have nonunion broken clavicle, horrible ugly scar and pain. I have about 17 1/2 years AD. At PHA this January, the MD decided that I my clavicle met MEB conditions. I told him I want surgery again. He just looked at me, placed me on profile and initiated the MEB process. I have continued all this time to "grin and bear it" or "bite the bullet" and complete PT test twice a year successfully. My work performance has suffered when working 24 hours in a row, being on call 24/7, etc. I have just started the MEB process, having completed QTC appointments 1 week ago. I was told I cannot have surgery during the MEB process. However, just before the MEB process started, I was scheduled surgery, 28 Feb. In March, I canceled it and the orthopedic physician (civilian due to no access to care at Military facility) told me that I cannot MEB me for a broke clavicle? Is this true? I believe that if it was fixed properly, I would be "fit" again.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">