Can somebody reqeust a medical retirement if on waivers and over 20?

texengland

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
A little back ground on me. I have 14 years AD and am currently at 7 in the Guard. I am on annual waivers for Ulcerative Colitis and Severe OSA and a PT waiver for the run/walk due to ankle and foot issues, however I complete the waist/PU/SU every year. I am currently at 90% with the VA for the UC and lower extremity issues (nothing for OSA). The only reason I am allowed to stay in with the waivers is because the job I am in currently is heavily computer based and a critical skillset.

I am wanting to retire but I would really like to be able to keep the medical insurance and was wondering if there was a way to request a board for medical retirement myself or since the fact that I have been on annual waivers for so long am I just going to have accept a regular retirement. My annual review is supposed to be this summer but the way Covid has everything screwed up who knows how that is going to go.

Do you have 20 good years or 20 years active duty equivalent (i.e., creditable points divided by 360)?

Ron

Normally, a disabled military member is referred to a medical board, not because of a request by him/her.

“The MEB is convened once the medical retention decision point is reached or when the Service member’s physician thinks the Service member will not be able to return to duty for medical reasons.”

@tony292 can explain better.

Ron

20 Good years. I had planned on retiring at 22 total which would put me right around 20 AD equivalent.

20 Good years. I had planned on retiring at 22 total which would put me right around 20 AD equivalent.
If you are speaking of a reserve/NG retirement, you must also meet the age requirement (for retired pay) unless you have 7200 points for immediate retirement. I was asking because of the CRDP factor.

A medical retirement would result in disability retired pay that would be reduced by the amount of VA comp. CRDP would not be applicable unless you met all the requirements for another type of retired pay such as regular or reserve. CRDP restores waived retired pay that is the longevity portion.

Ron

I'm not old enought to get the guard retirement pay. The pay is not really my driving factor though as Id really just like to be able to stay on tricare with the family becasue of my medical issues and some family issues.

I'm not old enought to get the guard retirement pay. The pay is not really my driving factor though as Id really just like to be able to stay on tricare with the family becasue of my medical issues and some family issues.
TRICARE is also a benefit with a medical retirement. You likely are aware of that benefit.

good luck,
Ron

Ye[, thats the main reason Id like to get a medical retirement, I just don't know if I can push it or have to hint to our PA to request it.

You could mention to your PCM you heard about the DOD policy on deploy-ability and are wondering if it would effect your status. That way your are not seen as seeking a benefit, just wondering if you would be effected.

If you are speaking of a reserve/NG retirement, you must also meet the age requirement (for retired pay) unless you have 7200 points for immediate retirement. I was asking because of the CRDP factor.

A medical retirement would result in disability retired pay that would be reduced by the amount of VA comp. CRDP would not be applicable unless you met all the requirements for another type of retired pay such as regular or reserve. CRDP restores waived retired pay that is the longevity portion.

Ron
@RonG - if a reservist/guardsman has 7200 credible points, would that retirement be considered regular (AD) retirement or non-regular retirement? Thanks!

Last edited:
@RonG - if a reservist/guardsman has 7200 credible points, would that retirement be considered regular (AD) retirement or non-regular retirement? Thanks!
Recommend you visit with your human resources command for an official determination.

It is my understanding that 7200 creditable points for retirement qualifies an individual for immediate retirement. However, it is also my understanding that not all points are creditable for retirement. There are at least two individuals who used to visit this board who retired with 7200 points. I am not familiar with their status immediately preceding their retirements.

Here is one case:
Post in PEB Forum by @macjac69

FWIW, I was a Guardsman, did just shy of 10 years regular Army, and got lucky enough to do 5 years of title 10 that combined with all my other ADT, AT, schools, etc. boosted me to over 7200 retirement points which going thru IDES I was credited with 20 YOS. Receive CDRP.

---
Recommend you visit with @Guardguy11 ; @SFC H
They might be able to clarify the matter.

Ron

Recommend you visit with your human resources command for an official determination.

It is my understanding that 7200 creditable points for retirement qualifies an individual for immediate retirement. However, it is also my understanding that not all points are creditable for retirement. There are at least two individuals who used to visit this board who retired with 7200 points. I am not familiar with their status immediately preceding their retirements.

Here is one case:
Post in PEB Forum by @macjac69

FWIW, I was a Guardsman, did just shy of 10 years regular Army, and got lucky enough to do 5 years of title 10 that combined with all my other ADT, AT, schools, etc. boosted me to over 7200 retirement points which going thru IDES I was credited with 20 YOS. Receive CDRP.

---
Recommend you visit with @Guardguy11 ; @SFC H
They might be able to clarify the matter.

Ron
In my case I went thru a Med board, in effect thru the regs. my retirement points pushed me over the threshold to get a disability retirement as my board netted me less than 30%. Also receive Fed tech disability, and CRDP, and VA compensation.

In my case I went thru a Med board, in effect thru the regs. my retirement points pushed me over the threshold to get a disability retirement as my board netted me less than 30%. Also receive Fed tech disability, and CRDP, and VA compensation.
Right now I have 6930 points USAR AGR, my doctor told me that I am ready for DES due to intratable migrane, cronic back pain and anxiety disorder. If the doctor start the process when I have 7000 do you think that I will retire with full benefits. Thank you

Right now I have 6930 points USAR AGR, my doctor told me that I am ready for DES due to intratable migrane, cronic back pain and anxiety disorder. If the doctor start the process when I have 7000 do you think that I will retire with full benefits. Thank you
Hello,

The person you appear to have addressed is @macjac69 . He has not visited this forum since March.

With regard to a retirement other than disability, if you have
--20 good years and
--meet the age requirement for for RC retirement
You could receive a non-regular (reserve) retirement upon reaching the age requirement.

I suspect your question is probably related to whether 7200 points and (associated retirement) could be achieved under the circumstances you described. The following individuals might be able to give advise in that area:
@Guardguy11
@Provis
@chaplaincharlie

Good luck,
Ron

If you are a reservist, if going thru a MEB If you have 7200 points or greater whether title 10 or or 32 or a combination of both according to AR 635-40 Chapter 3-12 "Twenty years of service as computed under Title 10 USC section 1405 service." But the key is 7200 retirement points.

@javiere8 , if you were on AGR orders when the condition started and have an approved LOD, it doesn't matter how many points you have. If medically retired in that scenario, you will be pulled to active duty and given a full retirement.

There are multiple threads describing the math on how much to expect for retirement pay.

With that said, please realize that you are at the very beginning of a long and most likely frustrating journey.