Can someone give me some insight

AWalters92

Registered Member
Hello all,

I'm AD in the AF currently and I have been undergoing the beginning stages of my MEB. I won't bore everyone with all the details and because my PEBLO doesn't really tell me shit, but from what I understand I am undergoing a dual medboard for both narcolepsy (no cataplexy, but also diagnosed with insomnia and EDS) and sports induced asthma. I talked to my PEBLO today and he informed me that my case had been reviewed by the mini DAWG and they had recommended a full MEB. He also stated that my case had been sent to AFPC and they are waiting for their response before we can move on. So my main question to anyone that has info on this is if the mini DAWG recommended me for a full MEB should I be expecting to get the medical boot? Also, my DOS is December of this year so I'm hoping that they don't put me on med hold in order to complete the medboard cause I might lose my mind.

Best Regards,

Alexander

Almost_Separated

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
If the DAWG recommends a full MEB to the AFRC then the chances of you getting MEB'ed are greatly increased, but not guaranteed. Your Commander's letter and NARSUM weigh in this decision pretty heavily too. If you do get MEB'ed then it is a pretty decent chance that you will be medically separated or retired. According to my PEBLO it is rare for someone to make it to the full MEB and then stay in. It happens but the percentages of that are low.

Look at my timeline below to see how many med holds I was put on for the MEB :)

The good news is that if you don't want to stay in for the MEB then you don't have to. You are the cosigner on this agreement. I would highly recommend staying in and investing the next 6-12 months of your life to this process if you are given that choice. It could work out for you much better in the end.

GSWarrior2017

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello all,

I'm AD in the AF currently and I have been undergoing the beginning stages of my MEB. I won't bore everyone with all the details and because my PEBLO doesn't really tell me shit, but from what I understand I am undergoing a dual medboard for both narcolepsy (no cataplexy, but also diagnosed with insomnia and EDS) and sports induced asthma. I talked to my PEBLO today and he informed me that my case had been reviewed by the mini DAWG and they had recommended a full MEB. He also stated that my case had been sent to AFPC and they are waiting for their response before we can move on. So my main question to anyone that has info on this is if the mini DAWG recommended me for a full MEB should I be expecting to get the medical boot? Also, my DOS is December of this year so I'm hoping that they don't put me on med hold in order to complete the medboard cause I might lose my mind.

Best Regards,

Alexander
I'm no expert, but I am going through the process too--with some pretty good advisors. If the DAWG recommendation was full MEB (or more specifically "Unfit") it doesn't necessarily spell the end. The next step is far more telling--it sounds like it is now at AFPC/DPANM for I-RILO. If the AFPC/DPANM verdict is "Initiate Full MEB", then you'll be leaning more towards the "medical boot," per say. However, that doesn't necessarily mean you'll be on your way out. It is a strong indicator that, if further medical evidence suggests it, you'd more than likely be medically released. Lots of steps until the final verdict, but my Military Service Coordinator (MSC) put it best when he said, "You're not officially found unfit for duty, BUT since you are sitting here talking to me and getting scheduled for Compensation & Pension (C&P) exams...someone at the top is unofficially sure that you WILL NOT be found fit."

Concerning your DOS: with your current timeline and the average-max time for an AF board totaling a possible 295 calendar days for AD, I would expect that med hold might be a very realistic possibly for your future (this information is per the IDES Timeline published in The Reporter, Vol 41, Issue 2). Since my MEB started (administratively by AAC 37), I have been waiting 239 days. It has been 113 days since my case was sent to AFPC/DPANM for I-RILO, and I only just completed my C&P exams. At this stage and rate, mine could go on as long as 182 more days or a little as 60-90 days.

I hope this info helps.

Last edited:
data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">