Can someone help me explain my DD214 form?

OmeletCookingChamp

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I was put on a temporary medical retirement for some mental problems.

It says reason for separation: DISABILITY, TEMPORARY (ENHANCED)

Separation Code: SEK I cant seem to find SEK anywhere on google.

Type of seperation says: Retirement. Shouldn't it say medical retirement?

Reentry code was: 2q which I was able to find online.

Just wondering thanks.

I was put on a temporary medical retirement for some mental problems.

It says reason for separation: DISABILITY, TEMPORARY (ENHANCED)

Separation Code: SEK I cant seem to find SEK anywhere on google.

Type of seperation says: Retirement. Shouldn't it say medical retirement?

Reentry code was: 2q which I was able to find online.

Just wondering thanks.

spd_code_final.pdf

Disability Temporary (Enhanced)

Ah okay. thanks for clearing the SEK up. What does the Enhanced mean though?
Indeed, my DD Form 214 states the same exact verbiage in block 28 "Narrative Reason For Separation," too!

As such, if I recall accurately when I inquired with the military RSO at my last active duty station, the "enhanced" means "combat/combat-related" to ensure that your DoD disability retired pay is exempted from federal income taxation while placed onto the DoD military TDRL. Take care and enjoy!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Last edited:
Indeed, my DD Form 214 states the same exact verbiage in block 28 "Narrative Reason For Separation," too!

As such, if I recall accurately when I inquired with the military RSO at my last active duty station, the "enhanced" means "combat/combat-related" to ensure that your DoD disability retired pay is exempted from federal income taxation while placed onto the DoD military TDRL. Take care and enjoy!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

One last question, but if I'm only getting VA retirement, is there any point for the exempt for DOD?

One last question, but if I'm only getting VA retirement, is there any point for the exempt for DOD?
Indeed, DoVA compensation is already federally tax exempt.

As such in 11+ years of military service with DFAS using the "High 3" retirement pay method (e.g., average base pay over the last 36 months of military service), DoVA compensation is probably higher than your DoD disability retired pay. So, accepting the DoVA waiver is the smart course of action with your overall DoVA/DoD financial affairs at least in my opinion.

Albeit, if you ever decide to receive DoD disability retired pay then it is exempted from federal income taxation while currently placed onto the DoD military TDRL (and in the future when placed onto the DoD military PDRL if your PEB-referred "unfit for duty" medical condition(s) is(are) finally determined to be "permanent and stable" for DoD rating purposes only).

With that all said, relax, take care and enjoy your military disability retirement with DoVA compensation benefits!

Best Wishes!