Can the med board process or VA change your referred mental health condition?

Padraigp1

Registered Member
Hello all,

I've been diagnosed with schizophrenia and entered the ides/med board system. I had an appointment with an ides doctor to review my physical claims and noticed on his screen as he scrolled that I had behavioral health conditions listed that were not part of my referred condition. These included some I have been diagnosed with like anxiety and insomnia but also one I have never been diagnosed or heard any mention of...borderline personality disorder. I was confused and didn't mention it but now I'm paranoid that the VA is trying to use their old personality disorder switcheroo on my referred condition.

So as stated in the title, can they change my referred condition to ides and try to hand me the personality disorder garbage they are famous for?

I also have already been through my behavioral health c&p and the report on myhealthyvet makes no mention of personality disorder.

Thanks for any and all advice,

Jimmy

tony292

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
I was referred and found unfit for anxiety NOS and MDD. After medical retirement one VA psychiatrist diagnosed bipolar but after 6 months she retired and I got a new psychiatrist who diagnosed Borderline personality disorder. I quit going to the VA primarily because their forumalary is so screwed up and they could t prescribe me
Something as simple as blood pressure and cholesterol meds. And the psych would only prescribe 20 lunesta for sleep for every month. So ten days a month I just didn’t sleep... this went on for months and so I finally stopped seeing him so I could go to a civilian doc and get enough meds to sleep the entire month.

brohammer

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello all,

I've been diagnosed with schizophrenia and entered the ides/med board system. I had an appointment with an ides doctor to review my physical claims and noticed on his screen as he scrolled that I had behavioral health conditions listed that were not part of my referred condition. These included some I have been diagnosed with like anxiety and insomnia but also one I have never been diagnosed or heard any mention of...borderline personality disorder. I was confused and didn't mention it but now I'm paranoid that the VA is trying to use their old personality disorder switcheroo on my referred condition.

So as stated in the title, can they change my referred condition to ides and try to hand me the personality disorder garbage they are famous for?

I also have already been through my behavioral health c&p and the report on myhealthyvet makes no mention of personality disorder.

Jimmy
Out of curiosity was your clearance suspended or revoked with the diagnosis ?

jeremymays92

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Simple answer, yes it can. In 2015, I was given the rubber stamp 50% rating for the diagnosis of adjustment disorder with 'depressed mood' by the Air Force during the MEB process. The military providers would not accurately diagnose me. My first appointment with the VA a month after being placed on TDRL, my first psychiatrist diagnosed me more appropriately with Bipolar and PTSD. By the end of the year, requested a re-evaluation on my rating for the mental health conditions and my percentage went from 50% to 100%.

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
The real issue is who is the "they" you are asking about. If the MEB documents one or more conditions and states that these conditions fail retention standards, the VA cannot change the DoD determination.
Would need a lot more information to figure out what your concerns are. If you disagree with findings, then the way to address that is to appeal at the appropriate level. I hope all goes well for you.

Padraigp1

Registered Member
Thanks everyone for the replys!

My situation has been sort of complicated I suppose. I have lost my clearance but I had also had some legal issues and am one of those cases that is a simultaneous chapter and med board. I had actually been seeing behavioral health and was divulging ten years worth of struggle and symptoms that I had been hiding prior to getting into legal trouble and they were very slow to send me through any sort of testing or provide a diagnosis. Even after I got in trouble it was several months before I was sent for any kind of testing.

It had been a weird process for me and I think it really shook things up at the clinic I go to, which I feel sort of bad about but at the same time behavioral health has really dragged on providing me any kind of substantial help. Certainly it's my fault as well because I've been seeing them for several years in a backwards attempt to get some kind of medication that might help but through the process I've come to find that rather than diagnose anything real I've been diagnosed with adjustment disorder and now a personality disorder without ever being informed of it. I guess that's where my beef really is. It wasn't until they reluctantly sent me to a higher level of care and testing that I was finally diagnosed with anxiety and schizophrenia.

So, and I know this is dangerous to do, I'm assuming that I must have been diagnosed with adjustment and personality disorders before the embedded clinic sent me up to the installation level behavioral health team. After that the embedded clinic OIC/psychiatrist was very abruptly moved out of the clinic and sent elsewhere long before he was probably due to PCS. So I feel a bit bad if it was anything to do with me because he wasn't a bad guy at all but I wish I could see what was going on behind the scenes. I think he just thought I was too high functioning to have schizophrenia and he definitely didn't seem to like me very much during and after all this.

Anyways, I have attended the c&p exams and the behavioral health one, it looks like, just confirms my diagnosis and gives me, as stated above, the generic 50% Mark and there is no mention of personality disorder. It wasnt until I attended this other appointment with an ides provider that I happened to see on his screen that I'm also diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. It doesn't make any sense or seem to fit me looking at what that is after googling it. It just really bothers me that behavioral health people can diagnose these things without ever even telling me... I just feel like sure if that's what you think in your professional Medical opinion than ok but you can't sit me down and tell that to me to my face?

I suppose I was just worried and wondering if those diagnosis' would hurt me at some point because I know that's what dod likes to do to sort of wash their hands of you ya know.

I just wish it didn't feel like pulling teeth to get any kind of answers throughout this process. I've been frustrated for years with military health care. I had been blown up in an IED 12 years ago and my back was pretty messed up and I've been doing everything short of begging for an MRI ever since to no avail. PCMs have unofficially told me I likely have degenerative disc disease but there's nothing in my record on it. So I have a purple heart but no actual medical diagnosis. I attended the c&p and was measured for flexion and all that but without a diagnosis of anything I have a pretty good feeling they can tell me to get lost...

Anyways, sorry for the rant just venting!

Jimmy

Armygirl99

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello all,

Jimmy
VA cannot change DOD but they can change/combine their own. If they ever do move to do this, you will be notified in writing and given information on how to appeal/disagree. Most MH patients will have multiple diagnoses over the course of time. Seeing that a provider mentioned BDP at any point during your history does not mean that it will be used to replace your primary diagnosis/diagnoses for ratings purposes. They sometimes ultimately combine diagnoses, etc—-but any changes at all will result in a notification/intent in writing (even if ratings increase). If you have not received that- there should be no cause for concern. I learned a while a go that though it is in fact wise to ensure all is in order, combing through MH records on your own—can really cause you more harm than good......since most don’t understand diagnosing, all med terminology, etc....etc. Please don’t be paranoid-for now, there seems like there is no need. Hth a little

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">