Cardiac Arrest, Triple bypass, AICD placement

spartacus81

Registered Member
Thankful to have this forum to look through ...

June 9th I had a cardiac arrest after completing a fitness exam (scored 94). Was eventually diagnosed with Cornary Arterry Disease and had triple bypass surgery. After the surgery, I was told by the VA doctors that I still needed an AICD implanted, so that was placed one week after the bypass surgery. They did a LOD for the cardiac arrest event that was service related, but they indicated that the cornary artery disease was not necessarily related.

I've been in the Air Guard for almost 14 years now, and I'm starting to go through the MEB process. I'm also starting to work with the VA on any disability claims. Given the above scenario, any idea what % the VA will give me? I've heard AICD was 100%, but I dont' necessarily have an arithemia ... it's more of an insurance policy, since the Drs at the VA don't know why i arrested.

Thankful to have this forum to look through ...

June 9th I had a cardiac arrest after completing a fitness exam (scored 94). Was eventually diagnosed with Cornary Arterry Disease and had triple bypass surgery. After the surgery, I was told by the VA doctors that I still needed an AICD implanted, so that was placed one week after the bypass surgery. They did a LOD for the cardiac arrest event that was service related, but they indicated that the cornary artery disease was not necessarily related.

I've been in the Air Guard for almost 14 years now, and I'm starting to go through the MEB process. I'm also starting to work with the VA on any disability claims. Given the above scenario, any idea what % the VA will give me? I've heard AICD was 100%, but I dont' necessarily have an arithemia ... it's more of an insurance policy, since the Drs at the VA don't know why i arrested.

Great information regarding conditions and their associated ratings can be found at the link below. It will discuss the "Basic Rating System" for conditions of the heart as well as break down specific conditions. This resource was provided to me by my IDES attorney and proved to be very accurate in my case. I went through the IDES process for a heart condition as well.

https://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/theheart.html#l