Central Sleep Apnea 100% or 50%

SBW85

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Has anyone heard whether or not CSA is considered chronic respiratory failure with co2 retention either by the DOD or the VA. I am being separated for it

A few more details about your situation might be helpful.

I did three sleep studies earlier this year and was diagnosed with CSA. I was given a V-pap to see if it would help, but it actually made it a lot worse. I've tried several different settings with this machine (RESMED) directed by the sleep doctor but nothing worked. During that time I went to the Naval Aeromedical Institute in Pensacola FL, by the recommendation of my flight surgeon. I was diagnosed with PTSD and started the MED board process a couple of weeks ago.
I'm curious to know if anyone has heard of someone getting 100% for CSA. CSA is the failure of the brain to signal the body to breathe. Doesn't that meet one of the criteria below?
Thanks!

100&chronic respiratory failure with carbon dioxide retention, the need for a tracheostomy, or cor pulmonale. Cor pulmonale is the enlargement or failure of the right side of the heart due to lung disease.

I guess the million-dollar question is do all three parts of the criteria need to be met. It says OR not AND. Good or bad I'll keep you posted, we're going to find out eventually

Worst case would be 50% from the VA since it’s service connected and you have been issued a machine. I’m not sure if it’s considered unfitting though, OSA is not.

Central Sleep Apnea (SA) is rated the same as OSA or Mixed SA.

1590608422111.png

Thank you all for the replies