Cervical fusion as a Fed Tech / E5, perm. profile what can I expect?

krayzs

Registered Member
I was injured last year and so April of 15 I had 3 pieces of my vertibrate fused w/ cadavor bone, a plate and screws. I have permenant partial imparment due to the fusion. So I am unsure if I will be retainable. If I do get discharged because of my physical condition caused by a civilian injury will my PTSD LOD hold any wieght at all? This has been a nightmare for the last year and Now that I am back to work and going to be drilling again, what am I in store for cause I'm not sure who I can trust in my chain of command. It feels like I have the black plague since I've been injured. Does anyone have any input for me to help me not get screwed on my way out of the military(inevitably)

Get your PTSD profiled.

The MEB is started based on a referred condition, but should consider all conditions. If they refer you for the back, this allows them to look at the PTSD and say it too is below retention standards and unfit for continued service. In practice, this is difficult to have happen. The profile/LIMDU is the basic tool they use to say a condition is causing limitations at work. If there are no limitations at work, it is not below retention standards. If it is not below retention standards, you are fit to serve with that condition. Arguments can be interjected during the process to show how a mistake was made, but these are very difficult to get traction on without a profile, and if the profile is done right, usually they won't make the mistakes that need fixing.

Having the PTSD documented is only half of the problem. This will help make sure you are eligible for treatment and compensation from the VA, so its not nothing. The other half is getting documented how and if the PTSD makes it unsafe or unreasonable to remain in the service. This will help make sure you are eligible for a disability retirement/disability separation.

Get your PTSD profiled.

The MEB is started based on a referred condition, but should consider all conditions. If they refer you for the back, this allows them to look at the PTSD and say it too is below retention standards and unfit for continued service. In practice, this is difficult to have happen. The profile/LIMDU is the basic tool they use to say a condition is causing limitations at work. If there are no limitations at work, it is not below retention standards. If it is not below retention standards, you are fit to serve with that condition. Arguments can be interjected during the process to show how a mistake was made, but these are very difficult to get traction on without a profile, and if the profile is done right, usually they won't make the mistakes that need fixing.

Having the PTSD documented is only half of the problem. This will help make sure you are eligible for treatment and compensation from the VA, so its not nothing. The other half is getting documented how and if the PTSD makes it unsafe or unreasonable to remain in the service. This will help make sure you are eligible for a disability retirement/disability separation.

Thanks a lot for your quick response. I have a (131113 PULHES) and my H3 is not listed on the new profile. I do have a 60% w/ the VA but I am still dealing w/ so much pain from my neck surgery and am being tasked out constantly w/ new responsibility that does not necessarily bust my restrictions but is not helping the situation either. Do I request a MEB/PEB or wait and see what happens and in the mean time be overly tasked and shunned by my former aviation "friends"
Thanks again for your input and your time.

Requesting a MEB/PEB is generally not advised, I certainly wouldn't be the first to bring it up. It can work out, but it can go really bad, depends on the doc. My doc brought it up first, I expressed I didn't want it, so when things just obviously weren't gonna work out, I went ahead and requested it. Usually its better to speak about the permanency of the profile instead. Is this going to get better? This treatment option isn't working, is there anything else we can try? The MEB is all about the permanent profile, which is driven mostly by running out of treatment options. Technically they should only get a year of profile to figure it out, but only the Navy really follows that.

In the mean time/alternatively, do what you can to adjust the profile. Try to narrow it down to specific tasks that aren't helping. They can make a profile for more than just PT of course, but they tend to only think along those lines, so you have to help them out. Would things work out if you were restricted to desk duty? No motorpool activities? Limited duty hours can be hard to get, but are possible. Focus on the fact you want to get better, and instead you are getting worse because of something specific. Doc might think you're being a wimp or silly, so you may have to defend your request. Working a profile is not fun, you're already feeling broken and a dead weight, having to face up to the specifics of that isn't something I enjoyed. Add to that the docs who believe every condition is faked and its just not a good place to be. Regardless though, get better and stay in or work the MEB and get out, its something that's pretty needed.

I was injured last year and so April of 15 I had 3 pieces of my vertibrate fused w/ cadavor bone, a plate and screws. I have permenant partial imparment due to the fusion. So I am unsure if I will be retainable. If I do get discharged because of my physical condition caused by a civilian injury will my PTSD LOD hold any wieght at all? This has been a nightmare for the last year and Now that I am back to work and going to be drilling again, what am I in store for cause I'm not sure who I can trust in my chain of command. It feels like I have the black plague since I've been injured. Does anyone have any input for me to help me not get screwed on my way out of the military(inevitably)
Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Indeed, I concur with @scoutCC comments in reference to not directly requesting a referral into the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process; it may potentially yield unfavorable residual results!

As such, concentrating on adjusting the military physical profile would seem to be a more effective course of action at this point since a "3" or "4" in the PULHES is suppose to initiate a referral into the DoD IDES process.

In retrospect, my last PCM initiated the conversation of potentially being medically retired due to my medical conditions were not getting better (e.g., being on temporary profile for 12 months) albeit I already had well over 20 years of active duty federal service at that point in time.

To that extent, all of my previous PCMs would just state "well, it's probably time for you to retire since you have over 20 years" at this point, but I didn't realize that they were not performing their medical duties in an efficient manner.

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!