Chapter 13 but need surgery for ulnar nerve

BigZee

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Going through a chapter 13. Getting the checklist finished up and will be turned in soon. During the past two months it was determined I needed surgery for my ulnar nerve in my left arm. If I am needing surgery but will be chapter 13 out , what will happen? I am unlcear on this as are others. Have any others been through a similar situation? Am I to just be turned over to the VA for care or am I on my own with this? I did have an EKG performed that confirmed the nerve issue.

What is keeping your from pressing on with the surgery now? VA can be a no go, depending on the character of the Chapter 13 separation.

Command is heavily implying if I do anything to prolong the chapter 13 they will throw down a chapter 14 they put aside. The 13 will be an honorable discharge

I'm being MEB'd for the same condition, I have bilateral ulnar nerve compression...or cubital tunnel syndrome (some people prefer to call it that). I'm active duty, just finished my VA appointments and am waiting on QTC to hand the package over to the VA. Its a waiting game...

Command is heavily implying if I do anything to prolong the chapter 13 they will throw down a chapter 14 they put aside. The 13 will be an honorable discharge

You need to consult legal counsel on this one.

You need to consult legal counsel on this one.

Legal suggested I do what it takes to handle my care but not add fuel for my chain to use. If they're offering a 13 and not 14-12b,I take it and run with it. But that my chain is apparently in the right to throw down the 14 at anytime they see fit since I had an art 15 a few mos ago.

I naturally am going to accept the 13 and discharge honorably to keep benefits. Just wondering if anyone has been in a sort of similar situation before and if it caused a MEB or not. The ulnar nerve issue has been causing numbness and pain, loss of strength and grip since October 2016. EKG confirmed and orthopedics recommended I obtain surgery. But then all this stuff happened.

Sounds like you could get your surgery now if you pressed the issues. It could a long wait to get VA medical care. My neurosurgeon told me the longer a nerve is compressed the less likely totally remission will occur post surgery.

I was authorized surgery in the middle of the MEB process after my civilian doc said I needed it for both elbows. I was in agony, couldn't type...hold a pencil...spoon...do much without pain.

Still have issues with both nerves! Surgery only took the edge off, I still am in pain when the humidity is high, rain or moisture outdoors, if I use my hands too much...it's awful. Not a lot of people are familiar with cubital tunnel syndrome.

I'd fight for surgery now if you're a candidate. It's a rough recovery, depending on which route the surgeon takes.

Sounds like you could get your surgery now if you pressed the issues. It could a long wait to get VA medical care. My neurosurgeon told me the longer a nerve is compressed the less likely totally remission will occur post surgery.
Hi, I am 4 months post op ulnar nerv
I was authorized surgery in the middle of the MEB process after my civilian doc said I needed it for both elbows. I was in agony, couldn't type...hold a pencil...spoon...do much without pain.

Still have issues with both nerves! Surgery only took the edge off, I still am in pain when the humidity is high, rain or moisture outdoors, if I use my hands too much...it's awful. Not a lot of people are familiar with cubital tunnel syndrome.

I'd fight for surgery now if you're a candidate. It's a rough recovery, depending on which route the surgeon takes.

How are you doing now post op? I had the surgery 4 months ago and just like you stated..it took the edge off the pain but I am right back to square one. Feels like I never had surgery.

Dude take the discharge and deal with the va! Don't poke the bear!

How did the surgery work out?