Chapter 5-17

NII

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello , I have multiple medical issues; sleep apnea, shin splints, low back pain, tension-type headaches, depression/anxiety.
My profile for my shin splint expired and I went to my PA to extend my profile because am still in pain. she told me she has given me ample time to get healed so she won't give me profile again. I insisted but she refused. Before I forget, she was told me that if i don't get better, she will recommend Chapter 5-17. So when I went back to complain the same issue, she told me again about chapter 5-17. I went to sick call the following day after she denied me the profile because I still have the pain. One of the medics gave me 72 hours profile. She told my 1SG that the profile is invalid.
But the problem is my shin splints and my back still hurt still hurt. On top of that, the headache is not resolved. I take pain medication every day for my headache. I have been going to Physical therapy for my low back pain too.
Before, my CO gave me adjustment disorder to go and see BH. I have been to BH 5 months ago though.

After my PA told my 1SG that the profile is invalid. He texted me that, I will do PT test the following day. I went to the CO and told him that, am still in pain. He insisted that I have to take it. I said, maybe you want me to fail. He said, if I fail he will initiate chapter 5-13 but if I pass he will wait for the assessment from BH and initiate chapter 5-17. The problem now is, am unfit because of the afore mentioned medications above. And I understand that, you don't get any benefit if you get chapter 5-13. I have 2years and couple months to ETS. Please advice. Thank you.

How long was the shin splint profile for? You need medical evidence so that all these self-reported issues are substantiated just repeating you are in pain isn't good enough. Has BH made any credible diagnosis? 5-17 is an honorable discharge and you are entitled to VA healthcare and benefits might want to double check with G.I. bill though.

How long was the shin splint profile for? You need medical evidence so that all these self-reported issues are substantiated just repeating you are in pain isn't good enough. Has BH made any credible diagnosis? 5-17 is an honorable discharge and you are entitled to VA healthcare and benefits might want to double check with G.I. bill though.

Thank you for your feedback sir. My profile was 84 days and that includes my lower back pain profile. I went back to the clinic to extend my profile since the pain is still there, my PA denied it saying she has given me enough time to be healed.Also, she can't justify it since the MRI says is normal. So I was asked to do PT test since I don't have a profile and I failed my run. Now, my leadership has initiated CH 5-13. BH has credible diagnosis. What is the way forward, now that they have initiated CH 5-13 and I understand that doesn't come with benefits.

I was asking because if it was only a few weeks that would not be enough to recover almost 90 days is plenty to recover maybe your PA would have met you half way with a walk only PT test you couldn't pass that? Yes, personality disorder you typically get very little to no benefits do you have less than two years in service? Unless you make a dramatic U-turn in your performance it looks like your military career might be coming to a close.

Thank you all for your answers.
So my leadership has started my chapter process for PT failure. Just yesterday I had a compartment syndrome test and it turned to be positive. The doctor recommended permanent profile or medborad. He said, I have to discuss with my PA. My PA and my leadership thought I was lying initially.

How do I turn the chapter to medborad? Can legal reject the chapter after I tell them my story with proof?
Is it ok to have a conversation with my 1SG and CDR?
Please I need some suggestions. Thanks again.