Choosing Dicharge Date

Was told today regardless of what date is chosen, I won't be here longer then the 17th of feburary as that is when my Higher tenure extension drops. With leave and Job hunting, that puts me at the 27th of January. Hoping It will be sooner then that, Dependant on when my appointments get down for a date to be picked.

Was told today, that my discharge date is completely based on how quickly i get my medical seperation physical stuff scheduled and done. After that done they will send a date to PSD for seperation. Telling me looking like late January. So not to bad.

Was told today, that my discharge date is completely based on how quickly i get my medical seperation physical stuff scheduled and done. After that done they will send a date to PSD for seperation. Telling me looking like late January. So not to bad.
Are you army?

Also what physical are you talking bout and why do you have to do that? I was never told about having to do that. I hit transpoc picked my day and I'm good.

im navy, and its a seperation physical. I guess Army counts your CP physical as a sep. Wish this were the case cause i would be gone like tomorrow if that was the case

I actually just went ahead and called PSD to ask, and they said that indeed you DO have to have a separation physical. Anyone who has had over 180 days needs one. So confusing, that manual above says "Disability examinations will serve as the separation physical if separation from military service occurs through the IDES."

I understand choosing a date close to the end of the month but not the last day of the month. does anyone know the maximum amount of leave days that can be taken to include the 20 days of PTDY? EX: say I have exactly 90 days of leave built up, can I take that with 20 days of PTDY and be on 110 days of terminal leave? or will I have to shorten my PTDY or sell leave? thanks.

In this thread:

http://www.pebforum.com/site/threads/how-long-for-orders-after-signing.37381/#post-176021

We talked about separation physicals, and it seems like C&P exams are supposed to count. I also found this:

http://warriorcare.dodlive.mil/files/2016/03/DoDM_1332.18_Vol2.pdf

Which seems to say the same thing. I too am Navy and it seems redundant to have to do a separation physical when everything has been documented by the C&P exam.

It is redundant, however, can be beneficial to get some last minute things in your medical record before you exit service! At least what I am doing. I got a sleep study out of it. My PCM didn't want to give me a sleep study because it "costs $2,000". I told him I don't care how much it costs. Then when I went to the CIV doctor who has been a pulmonary doctor for 20 years, he was surprised I had not been referred for a sleep study in the past. Amazing. Funny, either way, the VA will will end up rating me for it so I guess its my laugh in the end..

I really feel military doctors are graded on how many service members they get back to full duty, not how many they actually cared for responsibly while doing so.

I understand choosing a date close to the end of the month but not the last day of the month. does anyone know the maximum amount of leave days that can be taken to include the 20 days of PTDY? EX: say I have exactly 90 days of leave built up, can I take that with 20 days of PTDY and be on 110 days of terminal leave? or will I have to shorten my PTDY or sell leave? thanks.

For USMC we can only have 60 days of leave on the books, but we can take all of them for terminal. I would imagine as long as you CO approves of that much leave then it would be accepted. However, if it does not, look at the admin side of things. For the USMC when a service member gets out, they are replaced no greater than 90 days from the date that person left service. So you take about 3 1/2 months of terminal, it could mean you are not replaced and a job is not filled within your unit for up to 6 1/2 months. This is something commanders have to take into account too. But I have seen 2 month leaves get approved, but that's usually the max allowed for USMC. If not approved then you would most likely have to sell back the days.

I actually just went ahead and called PSD to ask, and they said that indeed you DO have to have a separation physical. Anyone who has had over 180 days needs one. So confusing, that manual above says "Disability examinations will serve as the separation physical if separation from military service occurs through the IDES."

Separation physical and Disability physicals are two different programs used as two different tools for two different situations. A separation physical is kinda cover DoD ass later, so you can't claim disability later on them. Doing one shows that you were physically fit when separating from service. Kinda like wasn't broke when they left type deal. This is a program that only applies to member being discharged under normal conditions in full fit status. Members being discharged from duty under IDES program for reasons related to disability, do not fall under the SEPARATION HEALTH ASSESSMENT (SHA) PROGRAM publication DOD INSTRUCTION 6040.46 "The SHPE and SHA Program facilitate the transfer of care from the DoD to the VA and support the evaluation of disability claims. Service members suspected of having a medical condition that precludes continued military service will be referred to the Disability Evaluation System (DES), the Integrated DES (IDES) subject to the criteria described in DoDI 1332.18 (instruction quote: Disability examinations will (notice the "will", not recommended, not optional, but "will! as in the same as shall") serve as the separation physical if separation from military service occurs through the IDES.), or the equivalent USCG process. Service members not referred to these processes and otherwise qualifying for a SHPE are presumed to be fit for continued active duty, separation, or retirement". In this instruction, it even says the 180 to 90 day rule only applies to members not being discharged for disability. Doing a Separation physical after IDES and preparing to be discharged for disability can Screw you. Most doctors and military have no idea how the IDES program works and will make you do this physical and sign you off as you are fit, which while unlikely can undermine your disability ratings and be used against you in any dispute of benefits. So don't do it. Bring the instruction to your command/psd/admin/medical or whoever giving you crap (as most psd or admin will argue that you still got to do it cause they are just not familiar with the program and/or its policies) and the argument that doing this physical does not apply to you and can in the end effect your disability benefits, not to mention a huge wast of your time as you could be discharged sooner not having to wait for some appt.

Ref:
DoDM 1332.18-V2 IDES DoD Manual
DOD INSTRUCTION 6040.46
THE SEPARATION HISTORY AND PHYSICAL EXAMINATION (SHPE) FOR THE DOD SEPARATION HEALTH ASSESSMENT (SHA) PROGRAM

Separation physical and Disability physicals are two different programs used as two different tools for two different situations. A separation physical is kinda cover DoD ass later, so you can't claim disability later on them. Doing one shows that you were physically fit when separating from service. Kinda like wasn't broke when they left type deal. This is a program that only applies to member being discharged under normal conditions in full fit status. Members being discharged from duty under IDES program for reasons related to disability, do not fall under the SEPARATION HEALTH ASSESSMENT (SHA) PROGRAM publication DOD INSTRUCTION 6040.46 "The SHPE and SHA Program facilitate the transfer of care from the DoD to the VA and support the evaluation of disability claims. Service members suspected of having a medical condition that precludes continued military service will be referred to the Disability Evaluation System (DES), the Integrated DES (IDES) subject to the criteria described in DoDI 1332.18 (instruction quote: Disability examinations will (notice the "will", not recommended, not optional, but "will! as in the same as shall") serve as the separation physical if separation from military service occurs through the IDES.), or the equivalent USCG process. Service members not referred to these processes and otherwise qualifying for a SHPE are presumed to be fit for continued active duty, separation, or retirement". In this instruction, it even says the 180 to 90 day rule only applies to members not being discharged for disability. Doing a Separation physical after IDES and preparing to be discharged for disability can Screw you. Most doctors and military have no idea how the IDES program works and will make you do this physical and sign you off as you are fit, which while unlikely can undermine your disability ratings and be used against you in any dispute of benefits. So don't do it. Bring the instruction to your command/psd/admin/medical or whoever giving you crap (as most psd or admin will argue that you still got to do it cause they are just not familiar with the program and/or its policies) and the argument that doing this physical does not apply to you and can in the end effect your disability benefits, not to mention a huge wast of your time as you could be discharged sooner not having to wait for some appt.

Ref:
DoDM 1332.18-V2 IDES DoD Manual
DOD INSTRUCTION 6040.46
THE SEPARATION HISTORY AND PHYSICAL EXAMINATION (SHPE) FOR THE DOD SEPARATION HEALTH ASSESSMENT (SHA) PROGRAM

Ugh I already did the physical :(
Basically I filled out all of the paperwork, and noted everything that I have claimed through IDES already and my physician agreed with me and signed off on everything. I will bring this to the attention of my command though. Thank you, maybe there can still be something that can be done.

In the USAF, and it may be a USAF specific policy not DOD, 60 days of terminal is the maximum authorized. More than that needs to be taken as ordinary leave, sign back in, outprocess and begin your max of 60 days terminal.

Also forgot to mention, SHPE and Sha programs are pretty much the same program with 2 minor differences. SHpe which physical for people in fit condition seperating under normal honorable conditions and not wishing to claim VA benefits. The physical for this must be done no sooner then 90 days out and no later then 30 days out from separation. The SHA program is A physical for people separating under normal conditions as well but wish to claim VA benefits. In this case the seperation physical (called seperation health assessment) will be conducted by the VA and can not be any sooner then 180 days from separation. When referred to IDES and seperation through this program occurs, there is no directed guideline of time or experation of this physical. The manual just says that examination held during the IDES or DES program will serve as a seperation physical. So anyone command that is telling you that you got to do a sep physical cause its been too long since your CP exams is misguided, because the way it reads can be misleading, but every reference to Discharge through IDES in the DOD INSTRUCTION 6040.46 Separation physical guidline instruction says to refer to the IDES manual. Basically saying that the Seperation instruction does not pertain to people in IDES.

Navy requires sep physicals to process paperwork. PSD wouldn't accept my package without SF 600 filled out ( and that is filled out at sep physical).

Navy requires sep physicals to process paperwork. PSD wouldn't accept my package without SF 600 filled out ( and that is filled out at sep physical).
That form is part of the SHPE physical. As quoted before, not for ides but for people sep. under fit conditions and not wishing to file VA benefits. So again, PSD misguided. This block is N/A because the only reason that they want to collect it is to file for DoD. Well, DoD already has yoru exam on file from when you did your CP exams. This is redundant Bureaucracy at its finest.

Last edited:
In addition, If PSD still gving your crap, Call you VA rep and ask them to fax your DES physical exam to you. Clip the instruction highlighting that part that says DES exam will serve as physical exam. They won't be able to argue with you. Well they can, but they will still be wrong and if you have a good CMC, he'll back you up on the instruction.

In the USAF, and it may be a USAF specific policy not DOD, 60 days of terminal is the maximum authorized. More than that needs to be taken as ordinary leave, sign back in, outprocess and begin your max of 60 days terminal.

That's not a hard and fast rule though. My husband is in the middle of his 64 days of terminal. In total he had 84 days after outprocessing (20 days permissive and 64 days of terminal.)