chronic liver disease

maxxime

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I had and acute hepatitis 24 months ago and I am still undergoing treatment. my profile ended 5 months after the acute phase and I have not been on profile. Even-though I have episodic discomfort due to my condition which is now chronic, I have been able to take APFT and do my job. I was recommended by my physician for MEB/PEB because of my condition that is chronic. I have few question:
1- How doe the profile affect the MEB/PEB decision?
2- how doe the commander letter affect the meb/peb process? the commander in the letter described me as a hard working and physically fit soldier. thank you

the letter may hurt you a bit but you can still be found unfit. especially if you have medical files to back it up.

Thank you for your input.
I checked the retention standard for my condition and it is a disqualifying condition. I don't meet retention standard with my condition and I have medical documentations . basically I will be found unfit. does the commander's letter influence the disability rating once you are found unfit? I am not really sure how the commander's letter is used. the commander wants to keep me based on my work performance. I am a very reserve soldier and only few close coworkers know my situation, I try my best not to show that I am struggling at work especially with junior soldiers . If the letter is going to be problematic while determining my rating I would have to talk to my co Monday.

I had and acute hepatitis 24 months ago and I am still undergoing treatment. my profile ended 5 months after the acute phase and I have not been on profile. Even-though I have episodic discomfort due to my condition which is now chronic, I have been able to take APFT and do my job. I was recommended by my physician for MEB/PEB because of my condition that is chronic. I have few question:
1- How doe the profile affect the MEB/PEB decision?
2- how doe the commander letter affect the meb/peb process? the commander in the letter described me as a hard working and physically fit soldier. thank you
...I checked the retention standard for my condition and it is a disqualifying condition. I don't meet retention standard with my condition and I have medical documentations . basically I will be found unfit. does the commander's letter influence the disability rating once you are found unfit? I am not really sure how the commander's letter is used. the commander wants to keep me based on my work performance. I am a very reserve soldier and only few close coworkers know my situation, I try my best not to show that I am struggling at work especially with junior soldiers . If the letter is going to be problematic while determining my rating I would have to talk to my co Monday.

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

In retrospect, since the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process is a performance-based system, one important factor is the impact of all medical conditions affecting the military service member's ability to "reasonably perform duties of his or her office, grade, rank or rating." Simply because a Soldier has a medical condition does not mean that the Soldier cannot continue to serve on Active Duty or in the Reserve Component. It is the impact of that medical condition upon the soldier’s ability to perform duties appropriate to his/her rank and branch/MOS that is important. A soldier with a serious medical condition can be found fit within the limits of his/her profile for continued service if the evidence supports that finding.

Nonetheless, each military department's first priority for military service members suffering from an illness or injury is to ensure delivery of the highest quality and proper medical attention. If the medical conditions improve to the point that the military service member is able to return to full military duty, then they are returned to their military unit.

Otherwise, despite the advances in modern medicine and the best efforts of patients, some military service members cannot be returned to full-duty status. In this event, it will be necessary for the military service member to be referred to the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process. The IDES process begins whenever the military medical provider determines that the military service member's ability to continue their military service is questionable due to a physical and/or mental impairment. To that extent, the law provide benefits for military service members whose military service is cut short due to a service-related disability incurred in the line of duty. Also, IDES is used to determine the fitness and applicable disability benefits of military service members with duty-related impairments.

In response to your specific questions from an U.S. Army perspective, a permanent physical profile coded either a "3" or "4" in PULHES will usually result in an automatic referral into the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process. Upon referral with acceptance into the DoD IDES, the soldier's Commander is asked to complete the Commander’s Performance & Functional Statement (DA Form 7652). The DA Form 7652 requires the Commander to be as specific as possible and to provide details about the soldier's work performance and their ability to perform duties appropriate to his/her rank and branch/MOS.

More specifically, the Commander is asked to provide on the DA Form 7652 with information as annotated as follows:
– Description of soldier’s current duty performance (uniform, hours of work, etc.)
– Special limitations of duty and their ability to adequately perform duties (PMOS)
– Discuss current duty assignment, anticipated future assignments, branch, age, and career specialties
– Discuss in as MUCH detail as possible

Based upon your comments about what your Commander included in the DA Form 7652, he/she seems to be recommending that your chronic liver disease medical condition isn't effecting your ability to perform your duties appropriate to your rank. As such, that's positive feedback for the IDES MEB/PEB if you want to indeed continue your military service. Albeit, if you are indeed found to be "unfit for duty" by the IDES PEB, then the Commander's evaluation (DA Form 7652) to include all other medical evidence and medical documentation will be used to determine the appropriate VA disability rating in accordance with the criteria as annotated in 38 CFR VASRD by the DoVA D-RAS.

With that all said, I hope all works out favorably to your own desires while in the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

In retrospect, since the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process is a performance-based system, one important factor is the impact of all medical conditions affecting the military service member's ability to "reasonably perform duties of his or her office, grade, rank or rating." Simply because a Soldier has a medical condition does not mean that the Soldier cannot continue to serve on Active Duty or in the Reserve Component. It is the impact of that medical condition upon the soldier’s ability to perform duties appropriate to his/her rank and branch/MOS that is important. A soldier with a serious medical condition can be found fit within the limits of his/her profile for continued service if the evidence supports that finding.

Nonetheless, each military department's first priority for military service members suffering from an illness or injury is to ensure delivery of the highest quality and proper medical attention. If the medical conditions improve to the point that the military service member is able to return to full military duty, then they are returned to their military unit.

Otherwise, despite the advances in modern medicine and the best efforts of patients, some military service members cannot be returned to full-duty status. In this event, it will be necessary for the military service member to be referred to the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process. The IDES process begins whenever the military medical provider determines that the military service member's ability to continue their military service is questionable due to a physical and/or mental impairment. To that extent, the law provide benefits for military service members whose military service is cut short due to a service-related disability incurred in the line of duty. Also, IDES is used to determine the fitness and applicable disability benefits of military service members with duty-related impairments.

In response to your specific questions from an U.S. Army perspective, a permanent physical profile coded either a "3" or "4" in PULHES will usually result in an automatic referral into the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process. Upon referral with acceptance into the DoD IDES, the soldier's Commander is asked to complete the Commander’s Performance & Functional Statement (DA Form 7652). The DA Form 7652 requires the Commander to be as specific as possible and to provide details about the soldier's work performance and their ability to perform duties appropriate to his/her rank and branch/MOS.

More specifically, the Commander is asked to provide detailed information as follows:
– Description of Soldier’s current duty performance (uniform, hours of work, etc.)
– Special limitations of duty – Ability to adequately perform duties (PMOS)
– Discuss current duty assignment, anticipated future assignments, branch, age, and career specialties
– Discuss in as MUCH detail as possible

Based upon your comments about what your Commander included in the DA Form 7652, he/she seems to be recommending that your chronic liver disease medical condition isn't effecting your ability to perform your duties appropriate to your rank. As such, that's positive feedback for the IDES MEB/PEB if you want to indeed continue your military service. Albeit, if you are indeed found to be "unfit for duty" by the IDES PEB, then the Commander's evaluation (DA Form 7652) to include all other medical evidence and medical documentation will be used to determine the appropriate VA disability rating in accordance with the criteria as annotated in 38 CFR VASRD by the DoVA D-RAS.

With that all said, I hope all works out favorably to your own desires while in the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!
Thank you sir,

Thank you sir,
Indeed, you are welcome! Take care!

Best Wishes!

The VA C&P examiner and VA reviewer are the only ones that influence the percentage.

The VA C&P examiner and VA reviewer are the only ones that influence the percentage.
Thank you sir, I spoke with my commander and shared my concern. she said she understand but still can give her own opinion. Hopefully she will change her recommendation.

CC input is to often formed by the like factor. A PEB will look more toward you limitations.