Chronic Lower Back Pain since 2016

Fins&Feathers87

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Good morning,

I have a few questions hoping somebody with more knowledge can shed some light on the my specific situation. I am in the 82nd airborne division I have been infantry for the past 6 years, and just recently re-classed to 15 tango Blackhawk mechanic. The infantry has taken it’s toll on me physically. I have two documented TBI‘s from jumping and chronic migraines between one and two severe headaches a week. I have been seeing the neurologist at the TBI clinic here on Fort Bragg, The TBIs occurred back in 2016 and the headaches are not getting any better. I have exactly 12 months left on my contract, I also have three herniated disc‘s shown on a MRI and was offered a med board from the surgeon. Being a Blackhawk Mechanic and back issues as well as migraines being around turbine engines all day, don’t go together. I have been in and out of the TBI clinic since 2016, And I have been seeing the neurologist for the past seven months and the headaches are not getting any better is this something that I could possibly be Med boarded for Because it’s becoming extremely hard to do my job. If so I’m also not sure if it would benefit me more to go the MEB route or Va route?

My condition’s are

TBIs w/ Migranes X2
L5S1 Herniated Disc W/ DDD/DJD
L4 herniated Disc W/ DDD/DJD
Chronic lower back pain since 2016

I would go the MEB route and let them decide. It may work to your favor for the medical retirement route in the form of CRSC if approved rather then just going with the VA route.

RaiderX Thank you for youre input
If one has a disability retirement...

There is never a negative associated with accepting VA compensation.

The retired pay is reduced by the amount of VA compensation received
AND
if there is residual retired pay (left over), the retiree retains it.
AND
one cannot apply for CRSC UNLESS they have accepted VA compensation.

This answers,”If so I’m also not sure if it would benefit me more to go the MEB route or Va route?”

Ron