Claim(s) Assistance Providers

SOFVET

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Has anyone ever heard of or utilized Vet Comp & Pen Medical Consulting, LLC?
www.vetcompandpen.com

Ken Uribe
Vet Comp & Pen Medical Consulting, LLC
2124 SW 102nd Ter
Gainesville, Florida 32607
United States

Have not. Going to check it out while I'm on leave. I live an hour away.

Rgr. I got a call from them a few days ago. They must have access to a VA database in which veterans have claims filed. They seem to be legitimate and fairly resonable. But, websites and out of the blue phone calls can be decieving. I think a vetting process may be warranted. If you get some good intel from them please let me know.

DISCLAIMER: WE ARE NOT AFFILIATED WITH THE DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS OR ANY VETERANS ADMINISTRATION FACILITY, BUT ARE A PRIVATE MEDICAL CONSULTING AGENCY. WE ARE NOT ACCREDITED AGENTS AND DO NOT REPRESENT NOR ASSIST POTENTIAL CLAIMANTS IN THE PREPARATION, PRESENTATION, OR PROSECUTION OF CLAIMS FOR VA BENEFITS. WE SIMPLY PROVIDE MEDICAL CONSULTATION SERVICES.

I'd pass, true VSO's do not charge anything.

They provide medical exams, not claim assistance. A VSO won't write a medical opinion for you, not one that is worth anything.

I don't know anything about this particular company. It looks like they have a single N.P. This is fairly typical from what I've read up. There aren't a ton of docs who understand that getting an Independent Medical Opinion can be difficult, let alone understand the specifics of what the VA wants.

A C&P exam is kinda a unique beast. Most docs are concerned with treatment. Many things about the C&P are completely separate from treatment, so are not things a doc would normally look at. A good C&P exam will review your entire medical file and provide pointed explanations about why one exam is important and why another exam isn't a concern. That, plus the write up, take a good amount of time, that is difficult to bill for since they're completely unconnected to treatment. There are many problems with getting an IMO from your treating docs.

The problem tends to be that when someone is paying for an opinion, they generally get the opinion they want, not something accurate. There is stuff out there suggesting the VA discounts exams done at the claimant's request like this, especially by a doc not connected with your treatment, because of that. Or it could be that veterans just don't understand the medical crap and so they have a weak case and end up with a weak IMO that the VA sees through easily, hard to know really. Of course there does appear to be some VA C&P docs who go the opposite way, who view their job as helping the VA save a buck by tanking exams. So I'm not sure there is a real moral/honesty issue in trying to counter that with your own lopsided opinion.

I don't think I have heard of a great solution to countering a bad C&P. Best bet is probably bugging your treating doc. There are specifics about how to present the opinion that they are likely to get wrong, but should be workable with a little finesse. If treating doc won't do it (and likely they shouldn't, as it isn't part of your treatment), not sure this is a bad bet. I'd like to see an example of what they think right looks like before I'd plunk down money. It does appear to be solely a paper review. Probably mainly useful for nexus problems, so likely only reservists when talking about MEBs/PEBs.

Thanks guys, I came to the same conclusions. I was mainly concerned with the fact that they have my information and are hitting me up for their services. As far as I know, only the VA and I should be prevy to my status.