Claiming mental health for VA claim

JohnReid

Registered Member
Im getting out sometime this year, just havent narrowed down a date yet. I just want to get out ahead of the VA claims process. I plan to claim:

-Major Depressive Disorder (diagnosed by PCM. Came about bc of an EO complaint of discrimination), currently seeing a counselor out on the town. I was hesitant to go to behavioral health. I didnt want to be put in in-patient care by the psychiatrist.

When i go to file, will the VA look at the records from the counselor the same way they'd look at records from a psychiatrist/psychologist?

-Left shoulder bursitis/bicep tendonitis
-Chronic low back pain
-Tension headaches (i feel like they're migraines)
-Tinea barbae. Had a permanent shaving profile for a little over a year from a military doctor. My bumps don't flare up too bad these days. Will that have a negative impact at the C&P exam?
-Ringing in ears
-Tinea versicolor
-ED

I want to make sure i have all my ducks in a row before i get everything together to go file.

BDD program. You will have to submit any private civilian records with your claim but since your still in I think it's important that your MH issues are documented by your service component (SMR) records to make the service connection claim solid if that requires in-patient care so be it. Sometimes the VA will put up a fight and state the military docs thought you were fine and they outweigh your civilian records try to avoid that fight.

John,

Good on you for getting the help needed. I was worried about MH throwing me in a crazy ward for some of the stuff that was running through my head. Hell, most days I feel like I wish I could go to sleep and not wake up. However, the MH folks at Lackland have been great. As long as you dont have any sort of plan of hurting yourself or others, I think its safe to say you will be treated weekly. My psychiatrist has been about the only person to listen and make me feel like between my medical issues and the mental problems, that I am doing ok. Good luck to you and keep us posted!

BDD program. You will have to submit any private civilian records with your claim but since your still in I think it's important that your MH issues are documented by your service component (SMR) records to make the service connection claim solid if that requires in-patient care so be it. Sometimes the VA will put up a fight and state the military docs thought you were fine and they outweigh your civilian records try to avoid that fight.

Its good you mentioned that, i actually signed up for a BDD class within the next few weeks. I dont have a solid separation date yet, but it'll be before this year it up.

And as far as the other things i plan to claim, does it sound like i have my ducks in a row or are there other things i need to do to document them?
John,

Good on you for getting the help needed. I was worried about MH throwing me in a crazy ward for some of the stuff that was running through my head. Hell, most days I feel like I wish I could go to sleep and not wake up. However, the MH folks at Lackland have been great. As long as you dont have any sort of plan of hurting yourself or others, I think its safe to say you will be treated weekly. My psychiatrist has been about the only person to listen and make me feel like between my medical issues and the mental problems, that I am doing ok. Good luck to you and keep us posted!
Yea, that was my main worry. i didnt want to do in-patient care. The stigma, the rumors about why im missing work, etc. And whether or not id be able to buy firearms after ive been admitted.

Im on zoloft and trazodone. I just want to get seen, and get everything documented properly in my medical records. I may have to go back to BH over the counselors out in town. Just to make it easier