Claiming Migraines with the VA

MrPhotographer06

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hey guys, so I've just submitted my VA claim and have a question along the lines of migraines. I have them, I get them all the time. I've eaten more maxalt, Excedrin and Coffee than whats probably humanly safe. My first treatment listed for them was 7/15. I've been just getting refills of Maxalt and at one time taking Elavil to try and suppress them. Didnt work, but anywho...

I'm refered to MEB for my lower back and its issues. I could fall into the 50% category for migraines but I've never been to the ER or anything for them. Prostrating is a solid definition for my headaches as I have to kill the lights and nearly sit still in silence. 75% of the time they happen while at work and on night shift and I am the only technician in the entire hosptial so "immediately seeing medical treatment" isnt a possibility. On days that I am off work and get them, I just take something for them and take one of my vast selection of drugs and go to sleep.

A; what have you guys experienced in needing for supporting documentation? I've read some on the Migraine log, I could gather my calander marks and at least get a solid 3 months of evidence.
B: Is there any way this will go towards the DoD side as an unfitting condition? Or is this just going to be the VA side? I think I'll get medically retired regardless with the lower back, neropathy and such, just wondering if it'll help my case any. When you're referred to MEB, is the referring condition the only one that counts as unfitting?

Thanks!

-Cam

Have supervisors write statements if you it comes to the point you need to contest the IPEB. However as long as you tell the VA neurologist how often you get them and how severe they are when you get them he should put that into the notes of the VA reports. Also make sure your NARSUM from your PCM states that they are severe as well. It should not get to the points that you will need to contest against the DOD in a formal bored as long as your PCM puts its in your NARSUM and its in the VA notes.

Cool beans, thanks.

I don't have a specific neuro appt, I was told that the Gen Med would cover it. I'm assuming that he will accurately record them. I'm hoping this part goes quick.

If you are prescribed Maxalt, then it should be documented in your records that you suffer from migraines. If you can, try to get the frequency recorded in your medical records.

Putting together a migraine log is a great idea, place it on an electronic calendar if you can, one that is connected to the cloud and that you can share via email.

All good thoughts. The FPEB found my Migraines unfit and had the following evidence:
1. 3 witness letters of coworkers
2. Migraine log
3. A neurologist diagnose the migraines

Every case is different and that depends on how your condition is perceived by the raters.

I didn't go to the ER and never kept logs but I had a patient plan put in place that dictated my requirements when attacks happened. I've been seeing a two neurologist over the last 5 years with PCM history going back 13+. Mine started shortly after nasal surgery and progressed over the years. The list of medications and Botox injections is ungodly and nothing helps. VA rated 50%.

All that and the AF Reserve Command still determined I'm fit for duty and denied an MEB via IRILO.

wow, that sucks AFmonkey.
I haven't been seen by a neurologist, or have a patient plan, but the VA rep and PEBLO said the gen med would cover it without the need for another appointment. At this point, any further treatment would need to be assessed in a second claim, so I'll just try to find time to create a migraine log with as many dates and ticks as I can collect from the past. I can pretty much look at my last few work schedules and tell you when I had headaches. Stupid shift work.

So I had my Gen Med C&P on Friday, and she just counted it in the brief intake with basic questions.

I have the same issue also and presently taking amitriptyline with no help. I have taken couple of medications in the past with no help and been keeping a log for the past three months. I refused to go to the ER because of the noise at the ER. My neurology has a plan for me to come into TBI clinic anytime I have a severe headache and I have only been there once. I hope my neurologist is gonna recommend me for MEB when I go in for my next appointment so I can add it to my other three conditions.

I was in the middle of getting diagnosed with migraines and vertigo when my claim got sent off initially. I just found out yesterday that I have another C&P exam coming up on the 20th specifically for migraines and vertigo symptoms. I was diagnosed by a neurologist and prescribed Imitrex and Promethazine for the symptoms. Imitrex is a wonder drug when it comes to migraines by the way. I also went through a few months of treatment in the concussion care clinic here at Camp Pendleton. Being that my PEB case has already been sent back to the IPEB for Post QA, they deferred rating it in my proposed ratings until after this appointment and submitting my DD-214.

I am going to put together all the documents and supporting evidence that I can and take with me to that appointment. My original general med appointment didn't address migraines at all that I remember.

In all honesty, from what I hear, adding conditions post separation is easy as cake. Just need med documentation with the terms spelled out (I'd read the ratings and have them copy it word for word) and submit it.