Code 37 since Feburary...need help

JonPeb

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello I am an 11yr TSgt, I served 4yrs active duty in the AF and have been part time in the ANG since. I was in a car accident in December of last year and experienced a TBI. Since then I have routinely seen two neurologists, done physical therapy, cognitive rehab, psychiatrists etc. For the past year I have been fairly optimistic as most of my doctors agreed my symptoms generally resolve (migraines, insomnia, concentration/memory problems etc) within the first year.
Now that it has been a year I am a seriously starting to worry this will be a long term issue. My anxiety has been much worse and that is the reason for me finally making a profile here.
My AF469 since February has been code 37 and says "member is undergoing MEB". "not fit for duty".
The doctor on base urged me to downplay my symptoms for months and even came straight out and told me to lie so I can stay in the military. I did not follow his advice.
Based on no new medical facts my 469 was updated to "light limited duty" but still reflects a code 37 in October.
I know nothing other than my doctor on base told me "the military doesn't like headaches and will decide if you will be separated". I was not verbally told I was in an MEB I was not introduced to a PEBLO.
Medical on base does not want to cooperate with me and will give me no information. I am lucky I even have my 469. They tell me they will update me as they see fit. (they have never updated me).
So my question is, is it normal to be code 37 for almost a year? The accident was over a year ago and I have no idea if the military plans on keeping me or seperating me or retiring me. I don't know who to talk to.
My commander told me I have PTSD sometime over the summer. That was the first I heard of it from anyone... (not even doctors)... but I did not see any psychiatrist that diagnosed me. I told the VA months ago I don't think I have PTSD from a CAR ACCIDENT... The VA says I have "other specified mood disorder" even though they routinely say they need to treat my "PTSD symptoms".
I never had migranes before but now I get them all the time I have a cefaly wich helps a little bit but has not made them go away.

I have been in limbo for a year and my commander does not tell me anything than talk to medical and medical only tells me to keep them updated with any new medical information. I have not seen a doctor on base in months.

Is there any way for me to know if I am actually in an MEB or what the status is? Can they put me on light duty forever?
I want my job back or I want out of the AF at this point.
Please help!

flyin_dutchman

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
JonPeb- Hello and Welcome. I am sorry to hear of your situation with the ANG. I know the feelings of being lost and helpless with regard to what's happening to you, cause I was. I am AFRes, so our cases could be connected a bit due to the nature of the beast; sometimes different units have varying policies and procedures they adhere to?
I really only have one input to your question. I was found with a suspected disease and made DNIF (can't fly) on Jan 2017, then placed on Code 37 in March of 2017. I have and still am on a Code 37, but just recently have been notified of my case from ARPC (Air Force). I will be retiring soon as my case went to the IPEB, but I am in a much different position as you. So is it NORMAL to be Code 37 for a year? Maybe? You have to be your own advocate with your medical case, and I found SO MUCH helpful information on this site that helped guide me thru this process I am in. I actually was informative to my Medical Group staff that didn't know some of the rules in the AFI's! I can't thank the members on here like Jason Perry, Chaplain Charlie, Ron G., and many others. Trust me, there are folks just like you on here, so search for info and hope this helps you out. Best wishes.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
AFI 10-203 say,
4.2.2. Initial RILO. Once the DAWG Chair directs that an Initial RILO is indicated, MSME will initiate an AAC 37 on the Airman’s AF Form 469. (T-1) Individual providers will not initiate the AAC 37. (T-1) Once applied, the AAC 37 will remain in effect until DPANM directs removal via the AFPC/FL 4 or ARC SGP by memorandum. (T-1)

You can download the rest of the instruction. In short, a code 37 should set lots of things in motion. If there is no motion, then the ball has been dropped. As @flyin_dutchman said, the guard/reserves are often unaware of the AFIs or just doing there own thing.

Happy Holidays

JonPeb

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
@chaplaincharlie @flyin_dutchman thank you both for your response. I have very thoroughly searched this site for answers and have found a lot of useful information. I have also read through AFI 10-203. However I have not found many informative posts that have answered specific questions related to my case. I have reached out to my unit for clarification on where I stand in this whole process but have not received any useful information.
Is there any way to know what things have been "set into motion" and what hasn't? Is there any recommendation as to what I should do at this point other than just wait?
Also I read in AFI 10-203 about a PEBLO, is this someone I should have been introduced to?
I have read about how the process takes a long time but it seems most people are in the loop and most time that passes are in the meb/peb phases.
Thank you in advance.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
You could reach out to the PEBLO. Their job is primarily paper pushing. If the docs have dropped the ball, it is possible the PEBLO knows nothing. Your military doc ought to know the status of your code 37.

JonPeb

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
@chaplaincharlie Thank you for your help. I have not been told anything about my PEBLO. My unit gives me the run around every time I ask questions. I have reaced out to them multiple times since last month and have only been told the providers has started to create the package that will be submitted to NGB for your duty related conditions. I do not know what that means.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">