Code 37. What is it?

Code 37 and related procedures.

Assignment Availability Code. AAC 37, Medical Evaluation Board (MEB) or Physical Evaluation Board (PEB)

When an Airman has a medical condition, which might require an MEB, a Code 37 is initiated by the base Medical Group. A RILO is sent to their Medical Retention Standards office at AFPC by the base Physical Evaluation Board Liaison Officer (PEBLO).

RILO: Review In Lieu Of, Medical Evaluation Board. This process is used to return Airmen back to duty when their medical conditions don't require a lengthy and involved MEB process.

Ron

Thank you for the reply, Ron. So in other words, yes? I don’t necessarily get the RILO part but I have heard of an IRILO. I don’t understand the difference. Any input is appreciated. Thank you.

Thank you for the reply, Ron. So in other words, yes? I don’t necessarily get the RILO part but I have heard of an IRILO. I don’t understand the difference. Any input is appreciated. Thank you.
You are welcome, although I suspect I provided very little info. I just did some basic research on the matter.

Frankly, I know almost nothing about the process; I had a regular retirement almost 30 years ago. Besides enjoying the company here, I like to comment on the CRSC/CRDP and retirement pay issues. I spent my entire career in the Army Finance Corps.

Here is a list of people who are well-versed in the process:
@gsfowler
@chaplaincharlie
@Guardguy11
@tony292
@oddpedestrian

That list should result in an alert to each person listed.

Good luck,
Ron

Only dif between IRILO and RILO is IRILO is initial. To my understanding thus far, it is just the first time you get a report on a condition and all follow ups lose the “Initial” if they continue periodically for a diagnosed condition. My own situation will require follow up RILOs as they have to monitor it annually (for now).

The AAC 37 addition is an administrative process that locks your record from multiple actions while you process IDES, as Ron stated. Take a look at the flow chart I've attached. It will paint a broad picture of where you likely are in the system. The chart is a bit dated, but its fairly accurate. Since the AAC 37 will prevent re-enlisting, PCS, etc. an important note to remember is IF you are returned to duty be absolutely sure that the paperwork is done to REMOVE that code. I've seen far too many times folks get lazy in the PEBLO shops and forget to do it and it has career-impacting repercussions.

Attachments

• Pre-IDES Screening Process Flow Diagram.docx
    97.6 KB · Views: 105
Thank you all for the feedback! I guess that leaves a serious discussion between me and my PCM.

Has anyone here experience “bad” interactions with their PCM? I feel mine is insensitive to most of my issues/concerns.

"It Depends" What is your condition, what it the PCMs workload, how long have you been treated for said condition...will all have different factors that come into play. You and your PCM may not see your condition in the same light, and if you feel that your care is less-than-acceptable, then request a PCM change with your TOPA/Patient Administration shop. There are good and bad providers out there, so don't just accept the status quo. You are a key player in your healthcare and can speed up or slow down things depepnding on how proactive you become.

From what I understand by researching my own case is that a Code 37 is only assigned to you by the Deployment Availability Working Group (DAWG) or the AFPC/DP2NP office. I am currently on just a Code 31 myself and my PCM told me that I will be under DAWG surveillance to determine the next step. As others have stated, your approach with your PCM should be tailored to your end goal and of course what is stated in the regs.

You would be amazed with a little bit of research that you will soon know more about this process than most of the medical personnel. Check out AFI 41-210, AFI 10-203 and the Medical Standards Directory. They all are great resources for you to educate yourself on your own case.

Plus, as you know this forum is a great resource as well.

From what I understand by researching my own case is that a Code 37 is only assigned to you by the Deployment Availability Working Group (DAWG) or the AFPC/DP2NP office. I am currently on just a Code 31 myself and my PCM told me that I will be under DAWG surveillance to determine the next step. As others have stated, your approach with your PCM should be tailored to your end goal and of course what is stated in the regs.

You would be amazed with a little bit of research that you will soon know more about this process than most of the medical personnel. Check out AFI 41-210, AFI 10-203 and the Medical Standards Directory. They all are great resources for you to educate yourself on your own case.

Plus, as you know this forum is a great resource as well.

I haven't heard of a code 31. Thank you for the sound leads. I have a few unfitting conditions going by the MSD.

Code 31 is normally for medical conditions expected to be resolved in under a year. Code 37 is for conditions that are expected to last over 1 year or could be disqualifying for continued service. There is also Code 81 which is used for pregnancy. Code 37 will send you to the DAWG and the DAWG can refer your case For IRILO. The IRILO will decide if you are going into the full MEB. Code 37 also prevents you form being PCSd'/Separated until your medical conditions have been addressed the IRILO will state if the code 37 will stay until the MEB is completed or removed and returned to duty.

Josh, thank you so much for dumbing it down for me. I'll have that heartfelt discussion with my PCM to see what options I have available. Hopefully, the DAWG is really my dawg. :p:D

An IRILO is a local process to determine if a formal MEB should be initiated. A RILO is an annual process that monitors people who have been returned to duty, but require periodic monitoring.