Combat related PTSD?

kb1991

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I am diagnosed with PTSD. I have what I believe to be a qualifying event that I can prove occurred during my deployment in Afghanistan where I was nearly killed by a UXO. So far I am meeting the 70% criteria range for my PTSD. I am wondering if it would be considered CRSC since it happened due to an enemy weapon in a war zone. Please enlighten me. Thanks

You have to be a retiree but yes it sounds like you qualifie only way to find out is to put in a application worst could happen they say no.

So you have to wait until retired to apply for CRSC. How long is that process once you apply?

Are you retired from the armed forces?

I will be Medically retired from the Air Force at the end of August with 70% PTSD due to deployment to Afghanistan. I also have 20 years active duty service. I am not sure if CRSC or CRDP would be better.

I will be Medically retired from the Air Force at the end of August with 70% PTSD due to deployment to Afghanistan. I also have 20 years active duty service. I am not sure if CRSC or CRDP would be better.
Generally, those eligible for both CRDP and CRSC have a greater benefit selecting CRDP unless the approved CRSC percentage is the same as the overall VA compensation percentage.

CRDP restores all waived retired pay, not the exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retirement pay.

CRSC replaces only the combat related waived retired pay (i.e., the amount lost due to the VA compensation being combat related). CRSC cannot exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retirement pay.

The amount of retired pay that is waived and is in excess of the longevity portion of retirement pay cannot be “given back”
via CRDP and CRSC.

[A] law requires that a military retiree waive a portion of their gross DoD retired pay, dollar for dollar, by the amount of their Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) disability compensation pay; this is known as the VA waiver (or VA offset). [A] new webpage provides an overview of how the VA waiver works. It also summarizes the two programs created by Congress to allow eligible military retirees to recover some or all of the retired pay that retirees waive for VA disability pay: CRDP and CRSC.

The webpage is under the “Disability Entitlements” section of the Retired Military & Annuitants area of the DFAS.mil website at:

Ron

Ron thanks for the information. will have to see what works out best.