Command directed mental health evaluation

Carey78

Registered Member
Hello! My daughter is currently active duty and has been in for 2 years 6 months. She has self admitted to a inpatient behavioral health facility for suicideal ideation twice in the last six months. She has struggled since she enlisted and is very unhappy. She has been going to base mental health for the past year. She has also been on a profile for her knees for the past two years. In April she is due for a PT test and this will be her 4th test on a profile for the same condition. Her commander just held her E4 stripe for six months. My questions are, should she ask for a command directed evaluation? And if she does will she get an administrative discharge or will an MEB be initiated? Thank you!

gsfowler

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
No need for a command directed, she should ask her PCM for a MEB referral.

Carey78

Registered Member
Thank you so much! Does she need to ask her mental health PCM or her regular PCM? I just want to direct her on the right direction. Also, is this something she can just ask for?

Oxymoron

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Thank you so much! Does she need to ask her mental health PCM or her regular PCM? I just want to direct her on the right direction. Also, is this something she can just ask for?
Possibly her psychologist, psychiatrist, or LC Social Worker would be the one to put in a P3 profile. In the Army, she is almost certainly seeing a psychologist monthly for depression. Psychiatrists are sometimes reserved for the more complex mental health disorders in my experience (literally).

I was inpatient twice this past year. Every person that had been there multiple times were eventually medboarded. This is something she can bring up with her mental health provider. It's more in their lane to write the profile than it is the Physicians Assistant.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
A command directed evaluation, is something a commander ask for when a person is believed to need MH help and is not voluntarily seeking help. Since your daughter is seeking help a CDE would be an unlikely course.

I agree that your daughter could ask her MH provider for a referral for an MEB. Being a parent and watching an adult child struggle is tough. Thank you for sharing on this site. If you have other questions, please post again.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">