Command NMA Letter Question Navy

AWS2Navy

Registered Member
Hello, I was recently diagnosed with Bipolar II / General Anxiety disorder and submitted to an MEB. I was informed that my command must write an NMA within 15 days. I am currently on shore duty as an MH-60 Aircrewman with duties involving flying. With that being said, my flight career is over. I have always done solid work for my command yet the ability to maintain my issues with bipolar disorder and anxiety became to much to bear which required me to get help.

I have been an Aircrewman for 8 years, it is all I know. I told them the thought of re-rating is crushing, I have worked so hard in my current rate and I refuse to up and leave to pick a new rate. I have less than two years until my EAOS.

The diagnosis I received from the doctor states " What are the medical limitations caused by the diagnosis? The member should not deploy, have access to weapons, work more than 40 hours a week, work overnight, engage in hazardous duty, or be on flight status."

- What impact will my commanders letter have on finding me fit/unfit for duty?
- I have a great reputation at my command, however I can no longer fulfill my primary duties as an aviator.

I am at a loss right now, it saddens me to think everything I have worked so hard for is over.

MorganMan

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello, I was recently diagnosed with Bipolar II / General Anxiety disorder and submitted to an MEB. I was informed that my command must write an NMA within 15 days. I am currently on shore duty as an MH-60 Aircrewman with duties involving flying. With that being said, my flight career is over. I have always done solid work for my command yet the ability to maintain my issues with bipolar disorder and anxiety became to much to bear which required me to get help.

I have been an Aircrewman for 8 years, it is all I know. I told them the thought of re-rating is crushing, I have worked so hard in my current rate and I refuse to up and leave to pick a new rate. I have less than two years until my EAOS.

The diagnosis I received from the doctor states " What are the medical limitations caused by the diagnosis? The member should not deploy, have access to weapons, work more than 40 hours a week, work overnight, engage in hazardous duty, or be on flight status."

- What impact will my commanders letter have on finding me fit/unfit for duty?
- I have a great reputation at my command, however I can no longer fulfill my primary duties as an aviator.

I am at a loss right now, it saddens me to think everything I have worked so hard for is over.

I understand bro. I'm far newer to this than yourself. I'm an hm3 former SMT lost it all due to a miss diagnosed ADHD... you know what it takes and to lose it over a misdiagnosis.... I would have to wait 5 years medication free to reapply for the pipeline

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">