Commanders Letter PEB

Quick background, I was in an MEB over a year ago for a heart defect. I was asymptomatic and had a high PT score, no problems, just went in for routine check up and doctor noticed something was off. After this I was put on a dead mans profile, started a MEB and became pregnant shortly after. So for a year I was unable to do any working out, I gained 65 lbs during pregnancy, then lost 75lbs after the baby from dieting (did not break my profile). During this time I was fighting the MEB, I didn't want to get out, and after talking with a new cardiologist I was able to get a P2 profile with no limitation. However, they took me off my profile in one day(no limitations as of SEP '18) and was expecting me to take a PT test in a month. I asked for a reconditioning profile for three months and was granted that in OCT 2018. During my reconditioning I was doing PT with my unit and doing recreational Rugby on a civilian league. There was jokes made from my first line that I was accident prone, and if I was going to play he didn't want to know. I practiced a couple times and played one game, then the season ended. I was lifting weights with my unit when I began to feel pain in my back and hip and went to go be seen about it. The pain was getting worse every time I ran and 12 hour shifts at work were becoming unbearable. My first profile that I was put on for my back and hip was in JAN 19. So my first line knows this... or at least I thought. I was looking over everything and came across my commander letter. It says I was heavily into sports and continued to play rugby even after on profile. It then goes on to say that my first-line supervisor made me stop playing after I was showing off a bruise from a match that I played "while on profile for hip pain." That is simply not true, and I have as much proof as I can think of. I have when the games were in an email, obviously I have every profile and can prove with a timeline that I did not break my profile. My question is this, will those comments which are implying negative character and stating I broke my profile going to effect a fit or unfit decision? Because I didn't break my profile I was never counselled either, so I don't understand what the point of making that up to my commander and putting that in an official form would be with nothing to back that up. Any information would be helpful, thank you.

So I can't speak to the part about will this effect a fit or unfit decision, but what I can tell you is make sure you break this timeline down when you are going through your VA medical appointments. They are very specific when going through your medical claims, so by that they want dates for everything. Building this timeline during this process will show the medical board exactly when your initial injury's started, when you were getting better, and when it got worse. I would put more emphasis on work related incidents that caused back and hip injury's and less recreational so they can tie those claims to service related. This can show the board you were working to get better but eventually it got worse which did not allow you to perform military duties, and recreational duties. If your timeline matches up which I am sure it does, I wouldn't be to worried about the commanders letter because you were playing rugby when you weren't on profile. Good Luck!

Fortunately for you, the commanders letter really only starts to have it's impact once you are at the IPEB. If you make it that far, you are 95% sure to be found unfit anyhow. If you plan on fighting to stay in, you have to do it at your level now and hope that the medical standards branch finds you fit and reassigns you an ALC code.

Appreciate the feedback. I am onto the IPEB after being found not meeting retention standards. I should also mention that I have a tear and a CAM lesion on my hip that requires surgery. The surgery is invasive and not always successful, so I opted out, hence the medical board. My timeline matches with my appointments and everything, its just more "he said she said". My peblo said I dont need to worry about it and that the comment seems more like there upset that I am getting med boarded but doesnt hold any weight. For this med board, I am not trying to stay in and do not want to be found "fit". The whole fit unfit, retainable not retainable to be honest so I was just worried it would effect me staying in.