Common AF CC letter example

AFPEBLO

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
This is an example commonly sent to AF commanders. Commanders are not required to follow it, but it hits the key areas the IPEB generally wants addressed. I've seen commanders give extremely in-depth answers and I've seen them take it the wrong way and just provide yes or no answers. In my view this is a good starting point for the commander but it is their responsibility to provide as thorough of input as is needed.

Commander Input to

Medical Evaluation Board (MEB)/Physical evaluation board (PEB)

Information provided using this format allows commanders to offer their insight about a member’s condition(s) to the Disability Evaluation System. The following items will assist Physical Evaluation Boards in their assessment of the member’s overall functionality and fitness for continued military service. You may also provide additional information beyond the scope of these questions if you believe it is important for the boards to consider.

Effect on Unit Mission

1. Does the member’s medical condition allow him/her to perform all primary in-garrison military duties without restrictions, limitations or work-arounds?

2. If the member is not able to perform his/her primary military duties:

a. What duty-related restrictions or limitations are in effect and for how long?

b. Describe the specific duties the member is unable to do because of his/her medical condition.

c. Do you believe the member’s condition(s) will prevent him/her from serving in their primary AFSC in future assignments? If so, how?

3 Has the member’s duty schedule been modified due to his/her medical condition(s) (i.e., limited duty, half days, no shift work, etc.)? If so, how and for how long?

4. Other than medical appointments, approximately how many days of work has the member missed over the past 90 days due to this condition? How much of this time was physician-directed?

5. Have you spoken with the Primary Care Manager (PCM) regarding the member’s medical condition (including profile recommendation/restrictions, if required)? Do you agree with the PCM’s assessment of the member’s condition(s)? If not, why not?

6. Can the member be assigned against an AEF tasking? Do you believe the member could perform his/her primary duties in an OCONUS deployed environment without restrictions, limitations, or work-arounds?

7. Does the member’s medical condition impact your ability to perform your in-garrison/deployed mission? If so, how?

Personnel Input

1 Is the member pending administrative action or judicial/non-judicial punishment that could result in his/her demotion/dismissal?

2. Is the member planning to separate/retire or has he/she applied to do so?

Commander Recommendation

In your opinion, what would be the optimal outcome for the member, your organization and the needs of the Air Force regarding his/her continued military service? NOTE: Recommending retraining should only be made after the Military Personnel Flight has, in fact, confirmed the member is eligible to retrain