Completely lost

12B12Years

Registered Member
Hello all. First off I'm new here, and new to this whole process. I just received my informal PEB findings that place me on the PDRL with a 60% rating. I'm currently receiving V.A compensation at 80%.

My questions are, first off...How do I calculate whether it'll be smarter to waive my V.A pay or to just continue on with it. I'm at 12 years of service, 7 active and 5 in the National Guard. E-5 is my grade. I found the formula but the number I'm getting isn't making sense.

Second. My Army ratings are combat related, I would like to know if applying for CRSC is an option for me since the findings are combat related.

And third. Is it good that I was placed immediately on PDRL? Most cases I've seen went to the TDRL first?

Please let me know if any more information is needed to answer these questions! Thanks for any help. It's greatly appreciated!

RaiderX

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Welcome to the board.

I defiantly would take the VA and apply for the CRSC as soon as possible(aproximently 20 Day turn around).

The difference between TDRL and PDRL is the with TRDL you would of had a re eval in 5 years that could reduce your rating or result in separation. Now you don't have to worry about that; "and your conditions are stable".

12B12Years

Registered Member
Welcome to the board.

I defiantly would take the VA and apply for the CRSC as soon as possible(aproximently 20 Day turn around).

The difference between TDRL and PDRL is the with TRDL you would of had a re eval in 5 years that could reduce your rating or result in separation. Now you don't have to worry about that; "and your conditions are stable".
Thanks for the welcome and reply, do you have any idea how I would calculate the CRSC? I'm still a little lost on how to also calculate what the retirement pay would be...as of now with 80% and 2 dependents I'm receiving just over 1800 a month from the V.A.

RaiderX

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
There is a CRSC sub forum that has all the info there

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
As I have said numerous times, I cannot conceive of even one scenario where it would be more advantageous to decline VA compensation.

If you agree to accept VA compensation in lieu of retired pay, your retired pay is reduced by the amount of the VA comp. Any left over retired pay (residual retired pay) is retained by you.

Recommend you follow RaiderX's suggestion to visit the CRSC forum.

Here is a link to a collection of CRSC info: Supplement to CRSC Information (use red download button) <---

Ron

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Thanks for the welcome and reply, do you have any idea how I would calculate the CRSC? I'm still a little lost on how to also calculate what the retirement pay would be...as of now with 80% and 2 dependents I'm receiving just over 1800 a month from the V.A.
Hello,

1. Your retired pay will the higher of the following:
a. The DoD disability percentage (not to exceed 75%) x average high three base pay
or
b. Longevity percentage/amount which is active duty years or equivalent x 2.5% = multiplier; multiplier x average high three base pay

2. Your retired pay will be reduced by the amount of VA compensation you receive.

3. CRSC amount.
Your CRSC will be the lesser of
a. The DoD approved percentage for CRSC (amounts are found in the VA compensation tables)
or
b. Longevity percentage/amount...see item 1b above

4. The combination of CRSC and residual retired pay cannot exceed the amount determined at 1b above.

5. CRSC estimates are offered on this Forum. Once you have all the data needed for an estimate, post it and an estimate will be offered within 24 hours.
This is what is needed for an estimate:
—High three average base pay OR the gross retired pay on DFAS RAS (which is preferred)
—DoD disability percentage
—Active duty years or active duty equivalent years
—VA compensation percentage; amount; and dependents (category, number, and ages of children)
—Approved CRSC percentage
—Other type military retirement eligibility info

Ron

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">