Concerned about PHA (Army Reserves)

muffinsupreme

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I just had a PHA this month and I disclosed a neck/back injury that has started given me problems again (arm weakness, numbness, tingling, etc). When I sat down with the provider, she said she would write down all my symptoms in my chart or profile or whatever, but when I checked my medical readiness status today on AKO, it was green and my PULHES was 111111.

I'm concerned that my issue hasn't been recorded properly and that I will be causing further damage to my neck/back because I won't have a temporary profile or any "proof" of an injury. I'm trying to figure out how this all works...someone said that I might have an MEB started on me but the provider never mentioned that.

Basically I wanted a record of this injury because a) it happened while in the military and b) if I have any issues AFTER my contract is up and need further medical attention, I want the Army to at least help with it since it is service related.

Anyway, can anyone help clear this up? What starts the MEB process and does that screw up your career? How can I make sure my injury was documented properly?

Thank you

gsfowler

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
PULHES do not change on temporary profiles with the new Army profiling system.

muffinsupreme

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Oh, okay. So what are the next steps...will I be contacted by someone? Sorry if these are dumb questions, I've never had to deal with any of this before.

And thanks for your quick reply.

gsfowler

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Do you have a temporary profile limiting your duty?

Do you have a completed line of duty investigation that shows the injury occurred during, or was aggravated while entitled to active duty pay?

muffinsupreme

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
No, I was not given a physical copy of anything during the PHA. The provider wrote some notes about it, had me do a few ROM tests and that was it.

No LOD either. I was at a school at the time. I fell straight onto my back but didn't have any issues at the time other than being a little sore. Also, being much younger then, I was "persuaded" to not do an LOD. Wish I didn't take that advice now.

muffinsupreme

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I should also note that I am not AGR, just a traditional Reservist. I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not.

gsfowler

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
It makes a huge difference. There are quite a few issues that you will need to address to ensure a positive outcome. The first is that you need to get a line of duty investigation completed. It will be hard to prove that when you were in school you hurt your back.

Since you have just self admitted here that you had no other issues than in being sore, how are you going to convince someone that your current injury happened while on, or was aggravated beyond normal progression while on active duty?

Another thing you have going against you is that you have not filed for VA C&P for the injury since it happened. It would have been much easier to show that it occurred while on active duty if you would have applied right after the injury occurred.

muffinsupreme

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I see. Yes, I think I am going to have a difficult time.

I was sore immediately after; the numbness and tingling and loss of strength didn't come until a little later. Basically it was a gradual onset of those symptoms as opposed to "oh I fell and now my arm feels weird, hmm."

You're right in that that's hard to prove that's the direct result of this injury. I did have an MRI 2 years ago showing a bulging/herniated disc and just had another one last week. I am still awaiting the results. Should I go to the VA and have these tests redone?

I think I am kind of screwed...perhaps I shouldn't have said anything during the PHA. Now I'm not sure if a MEB will be initiated and if so, what that means.

And thank you so much for getting back to me, I really appreciated your help!

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">