Concerned about VA pay

Kbert84

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello!
I was MEB'd and had a VA rating of 100%. Official retirement date was 28 Jun 19. I uploaded my DD214 that day through ebenefits. I was under the impression my compensation would start in Aug but everything online says estimated completion of September 6th. Has anyone else that recently retired tell me when your pay started? A little worried about rent and such without it starting until then.
I called the 800 number to no avail. The lady literally read what I could see on va.gov.

I can offer that based on the info you provided, your first accrual month for VA compensation will be for 1-31 July 2019, which would be paid on 1 August if done in real time.

I am not familiar with the processes of the MEB. The entitlement will exist for 1-31 Jul 2019; when it will be paid would be better answered by someone else.

Ron

I suspect you will be paid in August for July. Dates posted on VA sites are notoriously inaccurate.

Take a look here: https://www.knowva.ebenefits.va.gov...-Decision-Authorization?query=Payment date#2b

The VA cannot pay benefits for any period prior to the first day of the calander month following the month in which you became entitled to the benefit. This, and the eBenefits page sounds as if you'll be paid accurately. 1-31 July is the period the VA cannot pay. It CAN pay 1-31 Aug, and you'll get that $$ sometime in September.

Here is the law:

"Month After Law" [my term]

Ref: 38 U.S. Code § 5111 - Commencement of period of payment

"... payment of monetary benefits based on an award or an increased award of compensation, dependency and indemnity compensation, or pension may not be made to an individual for any period before the first day of the calendar month following the month in which the award or increased award became effective as provided under section 5110 of this title or such other provision of law."

He said, "Official retirement date was 28 Jun 2019." Assuming his VA compensation is effective 28 or 29 June 2019, the first day of the calendar month following is 1 July 2019. That would result in VA compensation accrual for 1-31 July 2019 and if paid in real time, the payment date would be 1 August 2019 as I indicated in post number 2 above and chaplaincharlie indicated in post 3.

Regards,
Ron
cc: @RGZWS6

Hello!
I was MEB'd and had a VA rating of 100%. Official retirement date was 28 Jun 19. I uploaded my DD214 that day through ebenefits. I was under the impression my compensation would start in Aug but everything online says estimated completion of September 6th. Has anyone else that recently retired tell me when your pay started? A little worried about rent and such without it starting until then.
I called the 800 number to no avail. The lady literally read what I could see on va.gov.
I agree with Ron you compensation should began august, please keep us updated on your situation.